Bionic, SGSII, Prime, now Vigor?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The Droid 3 is a very solid phone and my wife loves it. I just felt when I read the specs on the Bionic in the comparison to the Droid 3 that it was not that much of an upgrade. I really wanted the Bionic to be the next great phone. I understand that the original Bionic was the Etna and that the current Bionic is the Targa, so I expected the Targa to be the next generation. Thiings that I am dissappointed in with the Targa version based of the latest comparison chart.

1. Same display as Droid 3, was hoping for a nicer display
2. Was hoping it would be global phone as well as 4G
3. Camera zoom is better on Droid 3
4. FFC I was hoping for at least 1.3
5. Mono speaker was hoping for stereo
6. 1GHz OMAP4430 dual-core, was hoping 4460 and maybe 1.2 GHz

Oh well, will have to see what really launches, and I am probably still getting the Bionic. Do not get me wrong I love Motorlola and have enjoyed every phone I have owned or used by them. Just was hoping the wait would = a better spec'd out phone.

Reactions: anon(49997)

magnes

Mar 16, 2010
www.semelfactive.net
The Droid 3 is a very solid phone and my wife loves it. I just felt when I read the specs on the Bionic in the comparison to the Droid 3 that it was not that much of an upgrade.
1. Same display as Droid 3, was hoping for a nicer display

Do we know for certain that the Bionic will have a Pentile display? (Display technology is, I think, independent of resolution.)

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think any of those specs that showed up on the Motodev site are for certain. I would wait for an official announcement of the specs of the phone.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Even then, we really don't know the quality and implementation of the Pentile display if it has one. On paper would anyone have guessed the DX2 would have such a ill-received display?

Bottom line is, we really can't make a full judgement until we get our hands on it.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Do we know for certain that the Bionic will have a Pentile display? (Display technology is, I think, independent of resolution.)

While we won't know for certain until we see the phone or get the full specs from Motorola, I think we are about 90% that the screen will be qHD PenTile.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Let me correct you all manufacturers phones bootloaders are locked. Some are easier to crack then others.

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

Let me correct you, as you're clearly very pro-Motorola. Yes all manufacturers lock their bootloaders. That said, Motorola is the only major manufacturer who also encrypts them, making them nearly impossible to crack.

In addition, HTC has announced that they are releasing a web tool that will allow you to unlock your bootloader without even hacking the device.

Samsung is also much more development friendly, as evidenced by them giving the CM team an unlocked SGS2 for development use.

Motorola still has time to redeem themselves, and based on comments they have made in recent months, may be well on the way to doing so. However, at this point in time they are by far the least developer friendly brand. Hopefully that will change soon.

Sorry to shoot you down, but your comments are very misleading.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Let me correct you, as you're clearly very pro-Motorola. Yes all manufacturers lock their bootloaders. That said, Motorola is the only major manufacturer who also encrypts them, making them nearly impossible to crack.

In addition, HTC has announced that they are releasing a web tool that will allow you to unlock your bootloader without even hacking the device.

Samsung is also much more development friendly, as evidenced by them giving the CM team an unlocked SGS2 for development use.

Motorola still has time to redeem themselves, and based on comments they have made in recent months, may be well on the way to doing so. However, at this point in time they are by far the least developer friendly brand. Hopefully that will change soon.

Sorry to shoot you down, but your comments are very misleading.

He made a pretty general statement, not even mentioning Moto. However, Moto has stated their devices releasing "at the end of the year" will have unlockable bootloaders. This puts them in the same boat as HTC. Motorola is definitely not the only one who encrypts their bootloaders. Others are only just now unlocking theirs. Hopefully by next year we will see all manufacturers releasing phones with unlockable bootloaders.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
He made a pretty general statement, not even mentioning Moto. However, Moto has stated their devices releasing "at the end of the year" will have unlockable bootloaders. This puts them in the same boat as HTC. Motorola is definitely not the only one who encrypts their bootloaders. Others are only just now unlocking theirs. Hopefully by next year we will see all manufacturers releasing phones with unlockable bootloaders.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The other manufacturers never encrypted theirs, only locked them, with the exception of a handful of HTC phones before they changed their policy. let's hope the development friendly trend continues and Motorola stays true to their word.

Last edited:

navigatn714

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I gota say, it's sad that the bionic has already become outdated and it has not yet been released. people are already considering other phones at this point.

I was on the Bionic bandwagon about 3 months ago when there was no word of any other dual core lte phones on the horizon. Now, I will have to wait and see.

I've had moto, samsung, and htc devices. Gota say that HTC Sense trumps motoblur and touchwiz, not to mention the HTC dev community is HUGE. Samsung samoled display technology is just damn sexy. All i can say about Moto is.... ummm... good battery life?

Well, i was locked in for a bionic but now i'm just gonna wait and see what the specs for the Vigor and SGS2 are.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think this is an excellent thread. I have been thinking this same question since I have heard more and more of these devices. Since CES I have wanted the Bionic. I then followed it through ALL of the delays and changes. It still seems like a good device but these others sound excellent as well.

I highly doubt we will be seeing any quads anytime soon. They are not even going to be SHOWN until CES 2012 (and we do not even have the Bionic that was at 2011, so take that how you wish.)

Now this is all over speculation of the rumored specs of each device but I think that that Bionic and Stratosphere (which we are assuming is the Function renamed) will both be good phones. The Prime sounds excellent but we have nothing to go on with it so I am not really considering it unless I hear more about it before I make my purchase. And with the Bolt's bad battery life I am not considering the Vigor either at this time.

I am buying a 4G first and foremost. A slider I think would be a nice change. So the Bionic is my good backup device in case these other devices fall short on specs.

Side note: Not to gloat, but I just found out I have 3 upgrades, I do not plan on paying $900 on 3 phones in one year but to be fair I do not have to invest in my decision for as long of a time as some.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaymelanie

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
WebTop is locked down like nobody's business so people can't run unautorrized software on it. Do you guys think that Moto is going to loosen the reins on their phones that run their UI especially devices that implement the WebTop capabilities? I don't mean to sound negative but knowing Motorola I personally do not see that happening. They MAY unlock their other devices DX2, D3 or another handset that is yet to be released without WebTop capabilities.

They went to extreme measures to lock it (WebTop) down why would they unlock the bootloader?

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
WebTop is locked down like nobody's business so people can't run unautorrized software on it. Do you guys think that Moto is going to loosen the reins on their phones that run their UI especially devices that implement the WebTop capabilities? I don't mean to sound negative but knowing Motorola I personally do not see that happening. They MAY unlock their other devices DX2, D3 or another handset that is yet to be released without WebTop capabilities.

They went to extreme measures to lock it (WebTop) down why would they unlock the bootloader?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Moto have plans to unlock the Atrix's bootloader?

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure to be perfectly honest. I never heard anything like that.

It's unlocked now, not by way of Moto's involvement though.

Right. I perused around and there were mentions of it with the GB update, but I'm not sure whatever happened to that. We'll see what happens at the end of this year with Moto supposedly unlocking their devices.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure to be perfectly honest. I never heard anything like that.

It's unlocked now, not by way of Moto's involvement though.

Certainly is by way of Moto's involvement or it would still be locked. The only way it got unlocked was by Motorola having a GB build out for testing that enabled unlock the same way the Xoom does.

Oh, and you need to learn some new songs CK, these are getting old. :)

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Certainly is by way of Moto's involvement or it would still be locked. The only way it got unlocked was by Motorola having a GB build out for testing that enabled unlock the same way the Xoom does.

Oh, and you need to learn some new songs CK, these are getting old. :)

semantics rkeller you know what I mean. Motorola did NOT set out to unlock the Atrix and you know that.
If you don't wish to participate in the discussion because it's old please move on. Gracias amigo

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
semantics rkeller you know what I mean. Motorola did NOT set out to unlock the Atrix and you know that.
If you don't wish to participate in the discussion because it's old please move on. Gracias amigo

Not really semantics. Since the unlockable code existed in a version very close to the final release software they were obviously toying with the idea of giving that capability.

For all we know AT&T is the one that nixed it. Heck maybe Motorola leaked it on purpose.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci