Bionic, SGSII, Prime, now Vigor?

Jonny Boy

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I was eligible for an upgrade back on July 6th (Got my OG Droid on launch day, had it replaced 5 months later, still using that one) and I have been holding out for the Bionic. I was, of course, greatly upset when the august release date turned out to be false. Then I started hearing about the pentile display, and I'm not a fan of non-Moto-Blur-whatever-its-called and all that, and I started to wonder if I should go with another phone. But since the Bionic is the only flagship phone that seems like it will be offering 4G anytime soon, I think its going to be my choice still. I've seen the Droid 3's screen and wasn't really bothered too much. The only thing I REALLY care about, besides 4G, is root capability. I'm too spoiled by Cyanogenmod to not have the ability to load a custom rom on my phone anymore lol, so I just hope that the sucker gets cracked as soon as possible lol

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys ,
Im NOT trolling or anything like that , but I got a serious question :

To the people who are sayings that the DROID BIONIC is already outdated , what makes the SGS II so up to date ?
The SGS II have been released in other parts of the world for what ? Six months now?

Because the SGS II have a 1.2GHz Vs. 1.0GHz for BIONIC?
A higher CPU DOESN'T mean better performance , don't believe me ? Go to the Sensation's forums in XDA

Other than the OverClocked CPU , they are the same (give or take)

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Neither one is out dated and no one can say otherwise because they are not released yet. Everything we know is from speculation and either way Dualcore is still top of the line .2 more or not. Speculating is all we can do now but trust their "outdated" opinions with as much salt as you do the rumored specs. Especially with the Bionic which has gone through more changes than Joan Rivers.

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys ,
I trolling or anything like that , but I got a serious question :

To the people who are sayings that the DROID BIONIC is already outdated , what makes the SGS II so up to date ?
The SGS II have been released in other parts of the world for what ? Six months now?

Because the SGS II have a 1.2GHz Vs. 1.0GHz for BIONIC?
A higher CPU DOESN'T mean better performance , don't believe me ? Go to the Sensation's forums in XDA

Other than the OverClocked CPU , they are the same (give or take)

The main things that the GSII had hanging over the Bionic were/are: The RAM (which appears to be updated on the Bionic, finally), the faster processor (which, for all we know, could easily have been updated as well), and then the Super AMOLED screen (which is, of course, completely preference).

So, according to how the Bionic has changed and if the GSII will have 4G, it does appear that Samsung might have started with a leg up on Motorola.

If they come out at the same time, I have a very strong feeling that the GSII will win almost completely because of the screen. (I happen to be one of the believers that the GSII will have 4G when launched state-side).

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If they come out at the same time, I have a very strong feeling that the GSII will win almost completely because of the screen. (I happen to be one of the believers that the GSII will have 4G when launched state-side).

Do not forget about the rumors that it may be a Slider as well. Some people love them others hate them. I do not see WHY VZW would not make the SGS2 4 G unless Sammy does not want to split consumers between this and their Charge which currently has all of the marketing money invested in it.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
As far as everyone complaining that the bionic is not out yet,if the phone was delayed it probably had problems.Would you rather them release it broken like 95% of all phones?I would rather them take longer and try to get most of the bugs out it and then release it.If its nice and polished,very little bugs and decent battery life it will prob be my next phone.

Samsung worries me,I've had two of there phones and both have had so many problems and are really slow to get updates.So as much as the SgsII looks like a beast,I'm going to try my best to avoid it because of software problems and updates that break the phone more.That's my two cents.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to hear anything about Bionic "delays." The GS2 was announced back in February by Samsung and we aren't seeing a Verizon version until probably late next month. Motorola was able to do a whole redesign of the Bionic and still beat Samsung to release. Looks to me like Samsung is the one slacking, not Motorola.

Reactions: jroc

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to hear anything about Bionic "delays." The GS2 was announced back in February by Samsung and we aren't seeing a Verizon version until probably late next month. Motorola was able to do a whole redesign of the Bionic and still beat Samsung to release. Looks to me like Samsung is the one slacking, not Motorola.

Truer words couldnt have been said. Not to mention it was only 1 "Official" delay for bionic(resulting in scrapping etna for Targa). Every other one was a community self imposed delay for speculated releases.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. The Bionic was announced before that at CES... I really hate all of the petty arguments that people have over this **** because everyone is either in one camp or the other and refuses to meet in any mid ground. Anyways, the reason why people talk about delays is because there was a very major delay. When a company says a phone will come out in Q2 and it comes out in very late Q3 I would call that a serious delay. I generally like Motorola as a company, but you can't deny that that is a kind of serious problem. They did not do any type of redesign though. They simply scrapped the "old Bionic" (etna) phone that was having a lot of problems and moved the name to another phone that was already in development and set for a Q3 release (targa). That is hardly that I would call a "whole redesign" because there was no redesign of the original model at all.

Also, everyone is throwing out all of these words like "outdated", "5 months old" etc. Neither of these phones are outdated at all. I don't understand how you can call a phone outdated when there are NO phones out currently that have these specs. Maybe you can make a claim that they will be outdated in X months, but at the time that the Bionic and SGSII launch they will be very far from outdated. Also, the SGSII was released LESS then three months ago. Not 5, not 7. I understand that you can make the argument that 3 months is like a year in the tech field, but we have no clue what the specs are going to be. If the phone releases with LTE then I would say that it has been upgraded and is a better phone then the one released three months ago, just as the Bionic (targa) is a better phone then the Bionic (etna). (both also three months apart in terms of release date)

Even though I will probably take a lot of flak because people seem to be very bias and unreasonable, I think they will both be very solid phones differentiated solely by personal preference. I couldn't care less, in fact I support, people being very passionate about their future phone choices, but that does not mean you have to instantly dismiss the other sides phone choice simply because you think your choice is better. These attacks are generally done with statements such as "The bionic will release way before the SGSII" or "Well since the SGSII won't have LTE" etc. NO ONE knows ANY of this information. Speculation is always welcome, but passing off that speculation as fact to discredit others is just ridiculous.

Sorry for the ridiculously long rant :confused:, I have just been fed up with the schism that is created between people of different phone preferences. I now will await my crucifixion. :p

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. The Bionic was announced before that at CES... I really hate all of the petty arguments that people have over this **** because everyone is either in one camp or the other and refuses to meet in any mid ground. Anyways, the reason why people talk about delays is because there was a very major delay. When a company says a phone will come out in Q2 and it comes out in very late Q3 I would call that a serious delay. I generally like Motorola as a company, but you can't deny that that is a kind of serious problem. They did not do any type of redesign though. They simply scrapped the "old Bionic" (etna) phone that was having a lot of problems and moved the name to another phone that was already in development and set for a Q3 release (targa). That is hardly that I would call a "whole redesign" because there was no redesign of the original model at all.

Also, everyone is throwing out all of these words like "outdated", "5 months old" etc. Neither of these phones are outdated at all. I don't understand how you can call a phone outdated when there are NO phones out currently that have these specs. Maybe you can make a claim that they will be outdated in X months, but at the time that the Bionic and SGSII launch they will be very far from outdated. Also, the SGSII was released LESS then three months ago. Not 5, not 7. I understand that you can make the argument that 3 months is like a year in the tech field, but we have no clue what the specs are going to be. If the phone releases with LTE then I would say that it has been upgraded and is a better phone then the one released three months ago, just as the Bionic (targa) is a better phone then the Bionic (etna). (both also three months apart in terms of release date)

Even though I will probably take a lot of flak because people seem to be very bias and unreasonable, I think they will both be very solid phones differentiated solely by personal preference. I couldn't care less, in fact I support, people being very passionate about their future phone choices, but that does not mean you have to instantly dismiss the other sides phone choice simply because you think your choice is better. These attacks are generally done with statements such as "The bionic will release way before the SGSII" or "Well since the SGSII won't have LTE" etc. NO ONE knows ANY of this information. Speculation is always welcome, but passing off that speculation as fact to discredit others is just ridiculous.

Sorry for the ridiculously long rant :confused:, I have just been fed up with the schism that is created between people of different phone preferences. I now will await my crucifixion. :p

I hadn't thought about it that way before you said this. Samsung and Motorola's phones have been sitting around basically the same amount time being worked on. The Etna and Targa were very similar phones, so I'd rather them combine the resources from both phones, and rather than have two good phones, have one great phone.

geeksbsmrt

Don't call me a nerd
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. The Bionic was announced before that at CES...

I now will await my crucifixion. :p

You sir could not be more correct. I agree with ALMOST everything here except:

While Moto did say they would have the Bionic to us in Q2 they were speaking of the Etna. This project was scrapped as we all know. This is just like announcing a product and a few months later saying "We gave it our best shot but it just wasn't going to work as expected." To keep a bad phone from market and potential damage to the brand, it never released. I would not call this a "serious delay", it's more of a "Our original design was bad, let us make you something better." This is when they moved to name to the Targa which was always expected to be released around Q3.

I don't think a lot of people realize that by the time a product, ANY product, in the electronics industry hits the shelf it is already "old and outdated" by anywhere between 3-6 months. By the time said product is tested, mass produced, shipped, stocked, and sold another wave of technology is created, tested, and submitted to device manufacturers.

Case in point: Processors - We were just hearing about the Bionic at CES, this great phone with an amazing dual-core processor. If I remember correctly, a few weeks later, Nvidia was talking about their quad-core line of processors. We hadn't even seen a dual-core phone on the market yet and a company is telling us that ANY of these phones will be "old and outdated." There is ALWAYS something better in the works. If you keep waiting for the "best phone" you will never get it.

Depending on what talk about the Prime is when the Bionic/GSII launch is I will be buying one of the 3. Prime if it is close to the same time as the other two, Bionic if the GSII is not LTE, else GSII.

BTW, I don't think anyone would crucify you. You presented a very well thought out response and did not attack anyone.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

A couple of key differences though ... the GSII was not announced as a CDMA (or LTE) phone, and thus was not announced as a Verizon phone (and still hasn't been). The Bionic, on the other hand, was announced in January as a Verizon phone. Also, from all reports/rumors/leaks, the GSII is ready, it's Verizon that's holding it up. For the Bionic, it's Motorola that's mainly responsible for the delay.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Despite what people are saying in this thread, Verizon will determine which of the Bionic/SGS2 sells the best, and my money is on the Bionic.

They typically run much heavier marketing campaigns behind their "droid" line than they do their other android phones, and it shows in the sales.

It doesn't matter which one is slightly better. They only people that will know that are the 1% of consumers that read tech news/forums.

Perfect example: A co-worker friend of mine, who happens to be very intelligent, but not very well versed in mobile technology, called me to ask me what operating system the LG Revolution runs. She thought it was an android phone going into the store, but saw that it wasn't a "droid" and had Bing on it, so she figured it wasn't Android.

caasheew

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've been waiting for the Bionic for a long time. The SSG2 is the first phone that has made my eye wander. ( The other 2 are too far off at the moment to do that.)
The road map in the first post has them both with the same release date. I'd say go to a Verizon store and play with both phones and then decide. That's what I'll be doing .