How much of a difference does .2 GHz make?

Grumple

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been waiting for this or the GS2 to come out for months and I have been telling myself that I would only buy this if it has a 1.2 GHz processor because that would put it on par with the GS2. Obviously, I was a bit disappointed when they announced that it is just 1 GHz. But now I'm starting to wonder; is there really a big difference between the two? Would the GS2 be noticeably faster or not really?
Thanks in advance for any help!

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
A .2 GHz increase is really not going to make that much of a difference. Besides, once rooted you'd be able to overclock to 1.2 GHz or higher anyway. I wouldn't worry about the clock speed difference. Get the phone you like the most.

SuperMarioVT

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
+1 to mjforte's post bellow. I think people should stop worrying so much about the phone's specs and just play with it at one of the verizon stores and see if it they like or not.

People should get the phone they like most.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Faster clock speed allows for faster operations. But there are so many other factors that go into the "smoothness" of a device. So the answer to the question is, it depends.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't believe any of the newer dual cores and quad cores will truly show their full potiental for some time to come. Until developers and the apps they create incorporate the code to take advantage of these newer processors and their abilities its just a "status" thing.

Given time they will be impressive but at this point I think the developers still have some catching up to do with the technology that is being provided.

Just my thoughts, but normally I believe any new technology/devices take a good 6 months or so on the market to really be appreciated by the developers and coders.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
A .2 GHz increase is really not going to make that much of a difference. Besides, once rooted you'd be able to overclock to 1.2 GHz or higher anyway. I wouldn't worry about the clock speed difference. Get the phone you like the most.

Well if they don't get the bootloader unlocked then there will be no overclocking since you will have to use the stock kernel. But .2ghz shouldn't make a difference the only difference will be how optimized the interface is compared to the other(blur vs touchwiz)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well if they don't get the bootloader unlocked then there will be no overclocking since you will have to use the stock kernel. But .2ghz shouldn't make a difference the only difference will be how optimized the interface is compared to the other(blur vs touchwiz)

Weren't the Moto guys able to overclock with a locked bootloader on the X?

Sent from my Nexus S

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Weren't the Moto guys able to overclock with a locked bootloader on the X?

Sent from my Nexus S

I may just be being ignorant, but i've got an overclocking widget on my OG Droid that is not a kernel change, its just software that runs while rooted and i choose to turn it 'up' if i'm about to overload things by playing Robo Defense :) I bump it up to 800 from 550 while playing.

I am Running Cyanogenmod and obviously the OG Droid has an unlocked bootloader, but i am not so sure that has anything to do with the ability to Overclock the way I am.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Not true the X is locked and it go overclocked to 1.5 . U just can't swap kernals with a locked bootloader.

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
1.2 ghz dual core would actually be 0.2+0.2 making it 0.4 ghz faster 0.4 ghz is a nice bump from a regular 1.0 dual core.

Don't forget the nice AMOLED screen and better front facing camera.

Bionic no doubt will be a nice phone but Moto dropped the ball... Unless it comes out with real world-wide phone capabilities it just doesn't stand up spec wise to the GS2.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
1.2 ghz dual core would actually be 0.2+0.2 making it 0.4 ghz faster 0.4 ghz is a nice bump from a regular 1.0 dual core...

Simple math like this for processor speed of multi-core processors is misleading and does not really give an accurate picture of the possible improvement in performance for a given device.

There are WAY too many variables here to give any kind of accurate prediction as to how the Bionic's OMAP 4430 processor running at 1 GHz will perform against the GS2's Exynos processor running at 1.2 GHz.

Reactions: BlueBiker

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
phone will run the same as the droid 3, its the same processor
droid 3 without a keyboard but with LTE and bigger screen and some more RAM

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget the nice AMOLED screen .

Have fun with your overblown/oversaturated un-natural colors! :D

I had a charge and was not happy with how overdone the colors were with the AMOLED. Like they took a big box of crayons and used the most outrageous colors that no one ever uses for the color pallet.

Last edited:

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Just because the phone has the same processor doesn't mean it will run the same.

Also, you left out LTE and WebTop. So basically a Droid 3 if i were to put "not a" in front of that statement. Same processor but with upgraded RAM, upgraded screen size (if you're into that kind of thing), more features and upgraded data speeds.... sounds like an upgrade to me.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
That's the point - it will NOT work like a D3 for the very reasons you listed...it does have the same processor, but with 1 meg of RAM, hopefully it will run even better; faster, smoother, etc. But with LTE and the larger screen, those could slow it down. The point is, we won't know how the Bionic will perform until we see it in action. 1 or 1.2, there are just too many other design features that affect performance.

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
same processor though, RAM will make a difference but nothing crazy
i think it has the same camera as the droid 3 though which is a downfall because all the reviews are killing the problems with the droid 3 camera

Pratt4321

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
That's the point - it will NOT work like a D3 for the very reasons you listed...it does have the same processor, but with 1 meg of RAM, hopefully it will run even better; faster, smoother, etc. But with LTE and the larger screen, those could slow it down. The point is, we won't know how the Bionic will perform until we see it in action. 1 or 1.2, there are just too many other design features that affect performance.
I sure hope it isnt 1 meg :p

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
not saying i wont buy it, i probably will because it should be the best phone (4g and spec wise) on verizon until the end of this year....i just hope i can type as fast on the touch screen as ive done on the og droid qwerty

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis