Google to acquire Motorola Mobility

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Its going to take some time before we see a collaboration coming out of this but this is excellent news. Looks like I will eventually return to my roots, no pun intended, once this gets squared away. Lets see how this shakes out and effects their product portfolio

Sent from my Droid

Looking into the future a bit, the pentile issue should become less of a problem as technology advances in the next year or two also (higher resolution would make subpixels less noticeable, or simply put, pentile may be moved away from). That's good news for you down the line too. :)

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Looking into the future a bit, the pentile issue should become less of a problem as technology advances in the next year or two also (higher resolution would make subpixels less noticeable, or simply put, pentile may be moved away from). That's good news for you down the line too. :)

Absolutely :) I wouldn't be surprised to see a new screen on their next LTE handset. (after the Bionic)

Sent from my Droid

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Moto owes its life to Google. On the verge of death and Google swoops in and saves them.

Its just amazing how clueless Moto is. This is the best thing to happen to them now lets just hope Sanjay gets out of the way. Maybe he will be the first to get the boot. Lets hope so.

Sent from my Droid

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Another interesting point I've seen brought up: This could be huge for Google TV, as Motorola is the largest manufacturer of set top boxes in the US.

Now before you jump down my throat, yes I know they are a separate business unit from Motorola Mobility, but that doesn't prevent the two entities from working together on such a project, and at the very least makes them much more likely to do so.

Reactions: jroc and Preach2k

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Another interesting point I've seen brought up: This could be huge for Google TV, as Motorola is the largest manufacturer of set top boxes in the US.

Now before you jump down my throat, yes I know they are a separate business unit from Motorola Mobility, but that doesn't prevent the two entities from working together on such a project, and at the very least makes them much more likely to do so.

Yeah but they just acquired the Mobile side not the Motorola Solutions side..The Box and other things are on the Solutions end...

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Moto owes its life to Google. On the verge of death and Google swoops in and saves them.

Its just amazing how clueless Moto is. This is the best thing to happen to them now lets just hope Sanjay gets out of the way. Maybe he will be the first to get the boot. Lets hope so.

Sent from my Droid

Do you mean with Android and the Droid 1 or this purchase?

In either case....you're absolutely right.

Reactions: Castor Troy

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Droid
How clueless is he? He just made $13.3 million dollars today.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

You are right and wrong simultaneously. Google will buy Motorola Mobility, Inc. (MMI). That INCLUDES the set-top boxes.

geeksbsmrt

Don't call me a nerd
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You are right and wrong simultaneously. Google will buy Motorola Mobility, Inc. (MMI). That INCLUDES the set-top boxes.

This is CORRECT. Motorola solutions are more geared towards two-way radios (think law enforcement\public safety) and large scale enterprise. MMI is the end-user side of Motorola.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I'm getting conflicting reports, then. Even read a reputable news article earlier today that contradicts what you're saying.

Can you provide a source for that info? Not saying I don't believe you, I'd just like some more info.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I'm getting conflicting reports, then. Even read a reputable news article earlier today that contradicts what you're saying.

Can you provide a source for that info? Not saying I don't believe you, I'd just like some more info.
Source: Yahoo Finance
I am a financial advisor who has bought MMI for many of my clients, just waiting for something like this to happen. Google will buy MMI, which includes the set-top boxes.

Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. provides technologies, products, and services for mobile and wire line digital communication, information, and entertainment applications. The company’s mobile devices portfolio includes an array of converged devices, including smartphones based on the Android operating system, as well as tablets and Bluetooth accessories. Its home portfolio comprises video, voice, and data solutions for service providers’ networks to the home, in the home, and beyond the home. The company also offers converged media experiences, such as Motorola Medios software suite that enables service providers to deliver content on devices. Motorola Mobility sells its products principally in the United States, China, Brazil, and Singapore. The company is based in Libertyville, Illinois. As of January 04, 2011, Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) operates independently of Motorola Solutions, Inc.

Motorola Solutions, Inc. provides business- and mission-critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers worldwide. Its products include barcode scanners and scan equipped mobile computers; cellular networks; computer aided dispatch, dispatch consoles, logging recorders, emergency call tracking systems, fire station alerting systems, and console accessories; total Enterprise Access and Mobility solutions that provide voice and data services to enterprises; and micro kiosks and accessories. The company also offers voice and data mobile computing products; private broadband networks; RFID tags, antennas, readers, and accessories; SCADA systems; software for mobility, WLAN management and security, network design, public sector applications, and support and help-desk applications; two-way radio products for government and public safety; two-way radio products and pagers for businesses; wireless broadband network products; and wireless LAN products, as well as involves in original equipment manufacturing of scan engines and fixed mount scanners. In addition, it provides design, implementation, management, security, and support services for government and public safety, and enterprises; and applications, managed and support, professional, and system integration services for wireless service providers. Motorola Solutions primarily serves education, government, healthcare, hospitality, human services, manufacturing, mobile operators, petrochemical, retail, transportation and logistics, utility, and wholesale distribution industries. The company was formerly known as Motorola Inc. and changed its name to Motorola Solutions, Inc. on January 04, 2011. Motorola Solutions, Inc. was founded in 1928 and is headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois.

Last edited:

Grumple

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So does this mean that we may see the Bionic's bootloader get unlocked at some point or would it be more likely that it would only affect future phones?

eygraber

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
To everyone who keeps saying this means Moto Nexii: The way Google chooses the manufacturer of that year's Nexus phone is by having all manufacturers bid for it. They have stated already (I don't remember where I saw the article, but it quoted a press release from Google) that they intend to run Motorola as a separate company, and thus they will continue to have to bid for the right to produce the Nexus phone. Sounds weird to me but that's what the press release said

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae