Google to acquire Motorola Mobility

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
This is huge IMO. Now, Google can make their own phones. I think this is really gonna shake up the market. I also think that a Motorola/Google Nexus is pretty much a guarantee now.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
What Johnly said. This means we most likely won't have to worry about the bootloader encryption issues with Moto phones anymore, for one thing, as well as many other benefits.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure this was because Google was interested in an oem. This was done purely to protect android with struggling motos patent portfolio.

Other sites claiming this will cause htc and samsung to go wp7, I doubt it. And I doubt we will see much google influence in moto.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

DF400ex

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Wow... Not a bad move. I honestly thought Google would buy RIM (even though RIM's execs are notoriously stubborn) because they would get access to both the Nortel patent portfolio and RIM's enterprise business. RIM would be a bigger headache since they would take a lot more work to make them profitable.

This will be a good move for Google though IMO.

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure this was because Google was interested in an oem. This was done purely to protect android with struggling motos patent portfolio.

Other sites claiming this will cause htc and samsung to go wp7, I doubt it. And I doubt we will see much google influence in moto.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I don't know about this. Patents were definitely a huge reason for the acquisition, but they keep on dropping the line "supercharging the Android ecosystem"

I don't think Google is going to be completely hands off with one of the best hardware makers in the industry.

Also, how bad would it look if a Google-owned OEM didn't release timely updates to their handsets?

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt that HTC and Samsung will switch to WP7. Android has been a huge moneymaker for them and I doubt WP7 would be as compelling.

Also, I believe I said MMI's shares would be worth 40 by the end of the year....look at that...

I, for one, welcome MMI's new corporate overlords...

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
God what does this mean for the Bionic......Please delay it nd update it and mke it a Nexus Bionic instead of a droid bionic....Bye Bye Blur pleaseeeeeeee

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Woah just saw this on yahoo news. Didn't even get to read the article and came straight here because I knew it would already be in discussion LOL. I'm expecting big things from Moto more so than I already have.

jamor

Banned
Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I see a few people claiming that this won't affect Motorola phones or bootloader - but what do they all have in common? They all purchased HTCs which means they are trying to justify their now regretful purchase.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I see a few people claiming that this won't affect Motorola phones or bootloader - but what do they all have in common? They all purchased HTCs which means they are trying to justify their now regretful purchase.

Even if it takes a little bit for it to have an affect (I think this is the case), if you consider the life of a phone to be 2 years this is still a very good sign for anyone planning on buying a Moto in the near future.

Pierpoint

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So I guess we wouldn't be surprised to see:

• Moto Nexii
  • Google influence to unlock bootloaders
  • Google branded handsets

-fingerscrossed-

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Its going to take some time before we see a collaboration coming out of this but this is excellent news. Looks like I will eventually return to my roots, no pun intended, once this gets squared away. Lets see how this shakes out and effects their product portfolio

Sent from my Droid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey