d3 has root

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
A coupla guys over in the Droid 3 forum have stated that they rooted their phones w/ said root method. Things are looking up.

-Suntan

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yup! You can't keep the doors locked for ever. If we want in, they will find a way. Now time to see if 2nd Init works.

Would be sweet if they got the boot loader unlocked soon as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yup! You can't keep the doors locked for ever. If we want in, they will find a way. Now time to see if 2nd Init works.

Would be sweet if they got the boot loader unlocked soon as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
2nd-init should work. CVPCS did a blog post the other day saying it is possible on Gingerbread kernels. This is good news for the Bionic because supposedly the exploit used to root the D3 exists in all the Motorola phones, so hopefully we'll have root at launch or soon after.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Noob Q: What is the difference between having unlocked bootloader and being able to root?

My rudimentary understanding is that rooting gives you kernel access and lets you put in custom roms and such, I haven't really been able to understand where the bootloader unlocking comes into play or if its even necessary or just makes rooting easier...?

Ugh if someone wants to throw in an explanation of this 2nd init thing that would be cool too :)

Last edited:

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Being able to root your "locked" phone will give you limited root access. I don't think it will allow you to remove bloatware or give you full control, but should be able to flash custom roms just fine.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Being able to root your "locked" phone will give you limited root access. I don't think it will allow you to remove bloatware or give you full control, but should be able to flash custom roms just fine.

I may get this wrong, but i dont think thats correct about the ROMs.

Root access lets you control, via software, aspect of your phone you normally would not be able to do. AKA turning your WiFi card into a hotspot instead of just a client using 3rd party utilities (not the VZW included stuff they can track easily), etc....

Bootloader would be more along the lines of installing a new bootloader, which is what your phone uses to boot its OS. This is also what ClockworkMod Recovery uses to enable you to interrupt the boot sequence, load ClockworkMod instead and flash new ROMS, backup ROMS, clear cache, etc... Without the bootloader you will not be able to manage new ROMs.

Brian

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
See I didnt get that there are levels of root access. I did read through the FAQ's here in the AC forums on rooting, etc.. twice actually.. and apparently I'm still fuzzy. Anyone happen to have a link to somewhere that explains in more detail for a noob?

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Noob Q: What is the difference between having unlocked bootloader and being able to root?

My rudimentary understanding is that rooting gives you kernel access and lets you put in custom roms and such, I haven't really been able to understand where the bootloader unlocking comes into play or if its even necessary or just makes rooting easier...?

Ugh if someone wants to throw in an explanation of this 2nd init thing that would be cool too :)

Root:
Essentially to root is to have "SuperUser" type access to your device. It allows you to make modifications to your phone at the system level. For me, this means the ability to delete Verizon's up-your-arseware they like putting on their phones you cannot normally delete. If you are not knowledgeable about how to use it and play around with it, you can create problems for both you and Verizon. Generally this is why it's disabled.

Bootloader:
Often having an unlocked bootloader guarantees having root access. Bootloader is more of the core level of the phone. Controlling the bootloader essentially means you can load whatever software on the phone you want. Some custom roms contain abilities to unlock and push your device beyond its original intended boundaries. Generally this is a Good Thing (TM) but it has to be used with some wisdom and caution as you can actually damage your phone if used recklessly.

The 2nd init is a bit of a workaround that people have come up with to circumvent and/or piggyback on the locked bootloader that Motorola uses. A gross guess at this is it is loading additional stuff on top of the normal ROM that replaces parts already loaded by encrypted and locked bootloader.

Most default ROMs put out there by the manufacturers essentially limit you to whatever they (the carrier and manufacturers) want you to experience. They are more/less playing safe and make it virtually impossible to break or "brick" your phone. However running the default ROM also means you are forced to play by the rules set forth by Verizon and often Verizon has a tendency of abusing this ability. Case in point - unremovable apps that nobody wants.

I waited around a year or so before I started running custom ROMs on my Moto Droid 1. And generally near the end of a phone's supported lifespan is the ideal time to play with custom ROMs when the manufacturer is no longer actively working on updates. I feel that running these custom ROMs has allowed me to continue using my Droid 1 without too much problems and hold out for the Bionic. Alas software can only achieve so much and an upgrade is strongly desired.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

Root -- Gives you R/W access to the file system and lets you execute some code at an elevated level.

Unlocked Boot Loader -- Lets you overwrite the entire system with 100% new code. This would let you have a totally unlocked phone.

2nd-Init -- This is a work around to get around the encrypted boot loader. In a nut shell basically what happens is 2nd-init is a process that is introduced via root access that kills off the "Init process" This process is responsible for all other processes that run on your phone. Once this process and all of its sub-processes are killed off, 2nd-init totally replaces the 1st-init. Once this is done a different kernal can be loaded and run. Its way more complicated than this, but at a basic level I think this is what is happening.

2nd-init is needed because the 1st-Init process is part of the encrypted stuff that gets loaded when your phone boots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much guys, good explanations indeed. I'm hoping I'll be pleased enough with Bionic for a good while that I won't be worrying much about rooting, but trying to educate myself as much as possible about it in case I decide I need to eventually. Basically that'll happen when someone posts or shows me some awesome must-have thing that I become super jealous of that can only be accomplished by rooting. Thanks again!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I see this rooting as potentially BAD news. The methods, (outlined step by step) are exploiting a security hole this guy found and hacked. That's great for him and the D3, but you know Motorola is never happy when these holes are unearthed. They're going to want it patched ASAP and I'm concerned (paranoid) that fixing it might delay release of our long awaited Bionic.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I see this rooting as potentially BAD news. The methods, (outlined step by step) are exploiting a security hole this guy found and hacked. That's great for him and the D3, but you know Motorola is never happy when these holes are unearthed. They're going to want it patched ASAP and I'm concerned (paranoid) that fixing it might delay release of our long awaited Bionic.

Dont be worried about it. Thousands of them are already boxed up ready to be shipped out. They're not delaying it anymore due to something like that. If they want, they can do an over-the-air update to the OS which will cause those that did this some grief, but the phone will ship with whatever it has 'already'.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think at this point they wouldn't be able to patch this exploit on the Bionic until after it
releases. That is, unless they decide not to
release it on 9/8 :s

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

I don't worry about this so much. The bugs I would fear are the ones that could get access remotely vs normal rooting methods that require you to deliberately take steps to gain root.

The best analogy I could come up with is I don't worry about locks that can be intentionally broken from the inside. I only worry about locks that can be broken from the outside!

It is virtually impossible to make an OS that can't be broken if the user is trying to force their way out and grants all permissions to do so. Sometimes some malware uses these rootkits to gain access to what they do but beyond those situations I have never seen a person who accidentally rooted their phone.

Last edited:

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

This is NOT going to happen.....right away. Do you know how long it takes VZW to test new OS builds? A llllllooooooonnnnnnngggggg time. If they choose to do this, we probably wouldn't see the Bionic till late October or November...

They may, and probably will close this method on the next update, but not before it is released.

Just my $0.02

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
OK, all these comments make more sense than I do. So I"m getting on the "this is great" wagon because we can probably root our Boinics in a couple of weeks.