How is the 16GB onboard memory allocated?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
How is the 16GB onboard memory allocated? While I appreciate the walk through video's that always seem to be posted I get very irritated (yet I do appreciate the videos) that they do not show you the memory configuration. Sure it has 16GB of internal memory but HOW is it allocated. Do we get hosed like the Droid 3 with 2GB of app space or do we get more like the Droid X which just made the memory available for apps, general storage etc.

So does anyone know?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
How is the 16GB onboard memory allocated? While I appreciate the walk through video's that always seem to be posted I get very irritated (yet I do appreciate the videos) that they do not show you the memory configuration. Sure it has 16GB of internal memory but HOW is it allocated. Do we get hosed like the Droid 3 with 2GB of app space or do we get more like the Droid X which just made the memory available for apps, general storage etc.

So does anyone know?

I would say look at the recent phones other than the Droid 3...did they do it? X2? Photon? You can speculate a little, but we won't really know. I can tell you though that the whole 16GB microSD card should be available to you (well, minus the zero space crap or whatever), but I hoped you would've known that already lol.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I THINK I saw it mentioned elsewhere on another forum a few weeks ago. It basically mirrors the Droid 3's partitions but I THINK someone said it has more space for apps:

~4.xGB for apps, and ~10.xGB for the internal SD card.

Don't quote me on this but I do seem to recall reading that. Either way, what the D3 has is a big improvement over the pitiful storage I have on my DX2.

I wish they had just given us 32GB of internal storage for the Bionic and left the bundled 16GB card out of the package. They I'd provide one of my own 32GB microSDHC cards and been set!

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I THINK I saw it mentioned elsewhere on another forum a few weeks ago. It basically mirrors the Droid 3's partitions but I THINK someone said it has more space for apps:

~4.xGB for apps, and ~10.xGB for the internal SD card.

Don't quote me on this but I do seem to recall reading that. Either way, what the D3 has is a big improvement over the pitiful storage I have on my DX2.

I wish they had just given us 32GB of internal storage for the Bionic and left the bundled 16GB card out of the package. They I'd provide one of my own 32GB microSDHC cards and been set!

Don't forget the Bionic has the Webtop app as well, i am not sure how large that is, but it takes up space 'somewhere' for Firefox, etc.....

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget the Bionic has the Webtop app as well, i am not sure how large that is, but it takes up space 'somewhere' for Firefox, etc.....

It'll most likely take up space in the app amount lol. They are APPS right? The webtop should be a part of the Blur skin, so most likely that'll be part of that allocation. See there is something else good about deleting that stuff, freeing up space :cool:

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Most recent phone closest in spec is the Photon. It's memory is broken down:
3 Gb for App storage
9 Gb for internal SD card

Leaving 4 Gb for system and webtop, which is integrated into OS and more than just an app. There is also a webtop app that, I believe, is what allows sharing of info between the 2 environments.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Can the contents of the internal sd card be copied to your pc or other devices?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Can the contents of the internal sd card be copied to your pc or other devices?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Natively, probably not. I plug my OG Droid into my laptop and enable USB support and the only thing that shows up is the SD Card, not the internal storage. There is ALWAYS a way though, may just need to be some 3rd party app or maybe the newer OS can do it built-in, but I don't think at this time it'll happen out of the box. You could always install Astro File manager or File Expert, etc... any file management app and copy from internal to your SD card right on the phone.. and THEN you could present that to your Computer.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
U sure? I have the OG Driod and when I plug it in the my computer via windows 7 there seems to be a bunch of stuff showing in folders( I never looked at what it was..I just look at the DCIM camera folder) that I assumed was not on SD card.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
U sure? I have the OG Driod and when I plug it in the my computer via windows 7 there seems to be a bunch of stuff showing in folders( I never looked at what it was..I just look at the DCIM camera folder) that I assumed was not on SD card.

Quite sure. I don't know how i'd prove it, but i just know it to be true. If the drive letter that shows up on your Windows machine does not contain an 'sdcard' folder, the contents that you are seeing IS your SD Card. Some tablets will show 2 drive letters, one for internal one for SD Card, some show only one drive letter and within it there is an /sdcard folder which contains the contents of your SD Card.

Just depends on the software presenting the drives via USB on the device.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
On second thought I will have to check to see what is in the other folders. I guess I am just suspicious that this internal SD card is just something rigged to get people to continue to use Verizon or Motorola equipment instead of letting them have full control of their devices and data. You know something like Vcast ring tones that you buy, but then can't use on any other phone except your current one...the reason I don't use Vcast anything.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Just connected phone to computer. I think you are correct although I have about 27 folders showing in windows explorer including one called Andriod Secure, but I have a lot of apps configured to use the SD card. When I disconnect the phone from the computer it says preparing SD card, so i think you are correct.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Just connected phone to computer. I think you are correct although I have about 27 folders showing in windows explorer including one called Andriod Secure, but I have a lot of apps configured to use the SD card. When I disconnect the phone from the computer it says preparing SD card, so i think you are correct.

There's that... and look at the SIZE of the drive attached to your computer when its connected. It'll be 14gb or so, the formatted capacity of the 16gb card it came with (unless you added larger) I could always say just power down the phone, remove the SD Card and plug it into a reader directly into your PC to be 100% sure, but i know cuz i've done this :)

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Nah...not going to remove the SD card to see the size I am going with what you say.
So with this internal SD card(sounds ridiculous to call it a card since you can't remove it) , can I still store pictures music and other files on my actual EXTERNAL removable SD card?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Nah...not going to remove the SD card to see the size I am going with what you say.
So with this internal SD card(sounds ridiculous to call it a card since you can't remove it) , can I still store pictures music and other files on my actual EXTERNAL removable SD card?

When did we start calling it an internal SD card? I thought it was just internal memory, like what the iPod made so damn popular, flash memory. I could be wrong, but I thought flash memory was internal, and then you had an external SD card you could plug into the slot for extra memory?

And with my current (non-Android) phone, it shows the SD card when I plug it in, but when I remove it, it shows the internal memory.

grak

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Most recent phone closest in spec is the Photon. It's memory is broken down:
3 Gb for App storage
9 Gb for internal SD card

Leaving 4 Gb for system and webtop, which is integrated into OS and more than just an app. There is also a webtop app that, I believe, is what allows sharing of info between the 2 environments.
What do you mean when you say 9 is allocated for SD card?

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
How much space does it come with and how large of an SD card will it allow?

The standard right now for damn near every device is a maximum of a 32gb MicroSD Card (removable) that you can install yourself. Onboard, its up to the manufacturer. It supposedly comes with a 16gb removable card so you could swap it out with a 32gb if you wanted.

This is all just the removable storage, internally (non-removable) its 16gb also which is nice, though its speculation at this point how thats divied out.

Brian

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante