So who is locked in?

Ahobbs21

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
So this is a bionic forum but i was wondering how many of you are 100% sure getting the phone and if so, how will you be getting it? are you getting the sweet costco deal, are you pre ordering online with VZW or will you be going to best buy and getting there awesome insurance along with the phone on launch day? I think i will be going to VZW so i can use my NE2 for the last time and dealing with there terrible insurance.

spectre1006

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I am... Just bought my smoke gel case today and heading to cosTco on launch. Do u think they will sell out my 7pm cuz that is the earliest time I can go

tbssawd07

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have no choice I need a new phone asap so I plan on preordering the Bionic Thursday morning if that is when the preorder is.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm 100% sure I'm getting this phone and I'll explain why. Many people seem to be awfully worried about phones that "appear" to be coming in the near future such as the Vigor, Prime, etc. If there's one thing I've learned about waiting for phones is that you can't believe any dates until Verizon or the manufacturer announces something. Does anyone remember the Thunderbolt? The phone that was "supposed" to be released in February and didn't come out til a month later. So that Vigor that's supposed to be released October 6th? I wouldn't count on it. The Prime in October also you say? Highly unlikely.

Next, the Vigor might look better to the average person but I'll tell you why it's not. As irl Panda and I have pointed out, the Vigor's processor is the MSM8660, which is a 1.5GHz dual core, but is based on older Cortex A8 architecture. The OMAP4, Exynos, and even Tegra 2 processors are based on Cortex A9 architecture which is a huge improvement performance wise. So while the Bionic's processor may not be clocked as high, performance should be roughly the same as the Vigor, on top of better battery life with the newer architecture. On the topic of battery life, the Vigor will also have an HD screen. HTC has never been known for good battery life on their devices and now you want to throw in a 1.5GHz dual core processor based on old architecture, an HD screen, resource intensive Sense, and (possibly) LTE? No thank you.

On the topic of the Prime, the phone I know many of you have your eyes on, let me give you my opinions. The Prime will (possibly) have an OMAP4460 clocked at 1.5GHz or essentially an overclocked OMAP4430 (the Bionic's processor). I have no reason to think that we won't have root on the Bionic. Once overclocked, the Bionic should have similar performance as the Prime. RAM should be the same on both devices so it is equal there. Sure the Prime will have ICS, but Motorola will upgrade the Bionic to it, and I'm sure it will happen faster than any other manufacturer as Moto has been good with updates. Not to mention, there is a chance the Bionic will be unlocked at some point, but if not we still have 2nd-init and could be running CM8 once the source for ICS comes out. So to me the only thing that the Prime will have on the Bionic is the screen. The Prime is supposed to have a Super AMOLED HD screen. I have never been a fan of the oversaturated colors of Samsung's screens and much prefer Motorola's more natural colors. Plus, the HD screen is going to take more power to push the pixels so performance could take a hit on the Prime, not to mention a hit on battery life.

The Bionic to me measures up to the upcoming devices just fine in my opinion. Besides, since I'm buying the Bionic full retail (since I upgraded to a Thunderbolt back in March), the next time I'll have an upgrade available is in November of 2012. The Bionic should last me just fine til then and I can't imagine what kind of phones will be available then :) Sorry so long, just thought I'd voice my opinions.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Reports that say that something is due to happen are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.

I do know this....I am not locked in. Nor 'fully committed' as examined in a previous thread. :p

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
no way am i getting the Bionic at launch - not with the devices coming very shortly after. i may still end up with the Bionic, but it won't be until after i see the Prime and DHD.

mjforte makes some very good arguments. but, my take is a little different. with the Prime, altho there hasn't been any confirmed date, all indications are Oct (not likely imo) or Nov (more likely) - which is just weeks after the Bionic. and while mjforte makes some good points on the "differences" between Bionic and Prime, those arguments are based on the assumption that the Bionic's bootloader can be unlocked. i think that's a decent assumption, but one which is untested at this point. and given that the Prime will almost certainly be a much more svelte device, for me the best tack is to wait for the Prime to come out before making a decision.

also, there is the Droid HD to consider. it's supposed to come out before the end of the year, as well. what if this was Moto's proposed Nexus device that didn't make the cut?? the guys over at HoFo seem pretty excited about this device (and less so about the Bionic), as am i!! it also has extremely similar specs to the Bionic, but is also much thinner, and has an improved screen.

true, the Prime and DHD don't have official release dates. but, all indications are that they are coming quickly. and, even if they get delayed, i can always get the Bionic before the end of the year (and probably much cheaper than at launch). but, i know i would be kicking myself if i got the Bionic now and the Prime and DHD did release soon thereafter. in other words, i'm willing to gamble an extra 2-3 months waiting on the Prime and DHD, as opposed to gambling 24 months by getting the Bionic now.

DashShiron

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
On the topic of the Prime, the phone I know many of you have your eyes on, let me give you my opinions. The Prime will (possibly) have an OMAP4460 clocked at 1.5GHz or essentially an overclocked OMAP4430 (the Bionic's processor). I have no reason to think that we won't have root on the Bionic. Once overclocked, the Bionic should have similar performance as the Prime..

Well, yes and no. The 4460 has the same GPU clocked at a higher speed (304 MHz vs 384 MHz) and to my knowledge independent GPU overclocking isn't available to the end-user at all. Regardless, the performance between the two will likely be pretty similar.

I'm definitely getting the Bionic, but I have two upgrades as of right now so if the Prime or Droid HD drop and truly have better specs than the Bionic then I'll sell what I have and upgrade at a subsidized price again this winter. What you mentioned about the Vigor is absolutely right though, performance should be a bit below the Bionic thanks to the outdated architecture and the battery life will be awful unless they throw the biggest battery ever in there.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, yes and no. The 4460 has the same GPU clocked at a higher speed (304 MHz vs 384 MHz) and to my knowledge independent GPU overclocking isn't available to the end-user at all. Regardless, the performance between the two will likely be pretty similar.

I'm definitely getting the Bionic, but I have two upgrades as of right now so if the Prime or Droid HD drop and truly have better specs than the Bionic then I'll sell what I have and upgrade at a subsidized price again this winter. What you mentioned about the Vigor is absolutely right though, performance should be a bit below the Bionic thanks to the outdated architecture and the battery life will be awful unless they throw the biggest battery ever in there.

I don't think we'll see any difference between 80MHz in anything but a benchmark.

Ahobbs21

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Repetitive subject yeah but if it leads to good discussion im all in. I love the long stories and hearing the decision making process that you are all taking.

Eggshen

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm all in for this if I can purchase the device from Costco. There is a couple things I'm not sure about though. If I go through Costco to buy the Bionic, will they honor my upgrade that I have available with Verizon? And will Verizon not mess with my account at all if I go through Costco? I would also need to start a membership with Costco but seems well worth it.

hvalergir

May 3, 2011
Visit site
At this current level of technology, I prefer the lower resolution screens. 720p(+) sounds nice, but as others have mentioned, this will come at a performance/battery-life cost. The increased FPS and life of the lower resolution screens, imo, will lend to a better user experience.

The hardest thing for a tech enthusiast to remember is that hardware balance is more important than any individual specification.

Reactions: jroc

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I am locked. I have sold my x2 and currently running an old tour. I am using my wife's upgrade and preordering on Verizon site as soon as possible. I can't wait for the prime and hate htc phones. I too tried the thunderbolt and it was awful. I also still believe in moto especially since google owns them. I think this will speed up updates. just my two cents.

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I am locked
Will walk into local VZW Store on the 8th.
I asked for gift cards for fathers day and received $100 worth. My NE2 is $50 so I am 1/2 way to the $299 price. I will probably pick up the accessories one at a time later.