Blur Vs. Customer Launchers on Bionic

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I love the stock interface. You can change any of the bottom 4 buttons easily and the contacts pull down is very nice.

As far as a clock weather widget, I have BW but someone told me to try BeWeather and it blows Beautiful Widgets out of the water. Way better.

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is! It's basically like the Sense clock widget with the weather but is very customizable as far as themes go. You can also assign shortcuts to different apps by tapping on certain portions of the clock. Such as tapping on the clock takes you to the Alarm Clock app, tapping on the date takes you to the Calendar app, and tapping on the weather gives you more detailed weather info. Here's a screenshot of mine.

Can you tell me how you got the battery percentage to replace the battery bar? Also, how did you get the App Drawer button on the dock to look like that. Lastly, how did you get rid of the ugly blue look to the status bar? Very interested in changing those on my phone. Great theme!

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Just got Go Launcher EX and added lots of homescreens to the basic 5 that the Bionic came with. I LOVE how beautiful my homescreens look and just how customizable it all is (INK theme below). I also hid all by bloatware! Thank goodness for that. Also love how there are 5 customizable icons on the bottom tray instead of just 4. And I now have 9 homescreens instead of the 5 that come with the Bionic.

Here is a link to 5 basic screen shots with the Bionic as well as descriptions below each picture:

Droid Bionic Screen Shots - kath00's Photos

Here is one hosted pix. Click on link above to see rest:

i-T3XvLVf-M.jpg

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Best and most underrated launcher is GO Launcher EX. The way you can rearrange homescreens, add/delete them, change the default "home" screen, drag icons onto the dock (finally!)... And the rate at which they update the app...

Neither ADW EX nor LP+ can touch it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Best and most underrated launcher is GO Launcher EX. The way you can rearrange homescreens, add/delete them, change the default "home" screen, drag icons onto the dock (finally!)... And the rate at which they update the app...

I'll have to give it a try. The only aftermarket launcher I have tried is Launcher Pro. I like it a lot, but I am open to trying some new ones.

DOOG9517

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I like Blur as well, but its missing one important feature. Scrollable widgets! I use LauncerPro+ and have resizable - and scrollable widgets. The calendar and Twitter widgets are the best because of this.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you completely ! Go launcher ex is awesome. I had adw ex since my rom was equipped with it. Decided to try go and its really great. Also for scrollable Widgets you can try Android pro Widgets. Gives you sense like Widgets minus the clock. You wont be dissatisfied. I hope lol.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you completely ! Go launcher ex is awesome. I had adw ex since my rom was equipped with it. Decided to try go and its really great. Also for scrollable Widgets you can try Android pro Widgets. Gives you sense like Widgets minus the clock. You wont be dissatisfied. I hope lol.

+1

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

dada31

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree completely about go launcher. Best I've ever used. Question - with the folders, the drop down doesn't fit the entire top of the screen. I assume this is a resolution or gingerbread issue. Am I missing something. Anyone else notice this?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I like LPP solely for the ability to add 3 screens worth of scrolling docks at the bottom. If the new blur had this, I'd give it a try.

DBox

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I love Go Launcher EX because of the ability to customize and the widgets. I'm a big fan of the ability to open my app drawer with a simple swipe motion on the screen and you can store up to 30 apps in the dock bar. The Go Calendar Widget is by far my favorite calendar widget out there.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Update on my trials: Thought Launcher Pro was so sweet I didn't even want to try anything else.. but yesterday I was having a problem getting my HDMI output to work and mistakenly thought it might have been due to the launcher (actually it was because I froze the webtop apps with Titanium backup, D'oh! fixed it though).. so I uninstalled it, and when I fixed everything I figured it was a good enough time to give another launcher a try.

Now using Go Launcher.. gotta say I do really like it. Probably the only thing I liked better about LP was the app drawer - it looked prettier and loaded maybe a few milliseconds quicker, smoother and prettier looking effects-wise with LP -- though it RUNS equally smoothly and I like that I can still view all apps in the vertical scrolling view.

GL's homescreen options are superior, IMO. I like how ridiculously easy they make it for you to add/remove and manipulate your homescreens. I only use 3 (minimalist) now but I like that if I want to change their order or add more or get rid of one I can do it in literally like a second. Just been toying with the gestures available but I am liking those too.

GL does work nicely with resizing widgets -- something LP wouldn't do unless I bought the paid version. And the Go Calendar widget, as DBox pointed out, is definitely really, really nice and useful. I like that a lot.

Still going to experiment with some of the optional add ons and themes for GL. Overall I do prefer Go Launcher to Launcher Pro. Glad I decided to keep the experiment going :)

Also worth noting, between getting rid of LP and installing GL, there was a few minutes where I was stuck back using Blur and I hated it, lol. Recommend anyone who still hasn't tried screwing around with new launchers to just go for it... you can get rid of them in 2 seconds if you're not impressed anyway.

Course now I'll probably need another crisis to convince me to switch to ADW or whatever else is out there ;)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
  1. Try them all (one at a time) and see which when speaks to your sense of style. Nobody can make that decision for you. I love LP personally once all the settings are tweaked to my liking.
  2. Delete all widgets off the Motorola home screens before you do. Otherwise you will have battery sucking hogs running in the background even though you are not using them.
  3. Download a program called "Home Switcher" so you can toggle switch launchers if you need too.
  4. What the hell did I do to the YouTube icon in our postbits? Oops that has nothing to do with your question :p

Reactions: 2defmouze

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is! It's basically like the Sense clock widget with the weather but is very customizable as far as themes go. You can also assign shortcuts to different apps by tapping on certain portions of the clock. Such as tapping on the clock takes you to the Alarm Clock app, tapping on the date takes you to the Calendar app, and tapping on the weather gives you more detailed weather info. Here's a screenshot of mine.

Mjforte -- how did you get that battery percentage to replace the normal icon in the status bar?

fdkatz

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I,too, used Launcher Pro Plus on my OG Droid for a long time, and particularly like the 15 docks. I installed it on my shiny new Bionic, but have now installed Launcher Switcher and find I am back to the stock launcher and enjoying it. I do switch back and forth some and don't know where I will ultimately end up. Love the flexibility of Android.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using Go Launcher EX and mostly like it. It lags a tiny bit when opening a folder on one of my home screens and when scrolling through the app drawer.