Question about purchasing through Costco and Verizon upgrades

mike28486

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am looking into getting the Bionic but my upgrade date is not till November. I have been told that Verizon will have no problem giving me an early upgrade for when the Bionic comes out.

When they allow me to do this early upgrade does that require me to purchase the phone through an official Verizon location or over the phone, or can I purchase the Bionic from Costco with no issues and the upgrade eligibility will be marked on my account?

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Roughly its 6 months before your eligibility date but they charge you a $20 early upgrade and it is only on the primary line. This is for corprate vzw, can't vouch for costco since my state doesn't have one

mike28486

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I was told from the VZW rep that he could give my line an early upgrade as well, and I am a secondary line. Is this not usually accurate? And if it is accurate, am I able to purchase the phone at Costco, or must purchase it at a Verizon store?

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Historically:
When you sign up for a 2 year contract, you are able to upgrade at reduced pricing once you hit 20 months (meaning you don't have to wait the full 24).
If it was a 1 year contract, you were able to upgrade after 10 months.

You also used to also be able to pay a 20 dollar early upgrade fee, and upgrade after 1 year (if you are in a 2 year contract). I believe this perk ended when Verizon got the iphone 4 (early this year?)
Anyone who signed their contract before the iphone4 came out can still do an early upgrade, but it will be the last time you'll ever have that option available to you..

Costco will only honor what they see in the computer.
If it says you aren't eligible til November, then they will not give you the reduced pricing.

The only way you will be able to buy from Costco is if the person at the store changes your date in the computer and then lets you leave without buying anything....and your chances of that happening are slim to none..

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am looking into getting the Bionic but my upgrade date is not till November. I have been told that Verizon will have no problem giving me an early upgrade for when the Bionic comes out.

When they allow me to do this early upgrade does that require me to purchase the phone through an official Verizon location or over the phone, or can I purchase the Bionic from Costco with no issues and the upgrade eligibility will be marked on my account?

You will not be able to purchase the phone through Costco. There is also a really good chance you won't be able to purchase it at a Corp store either because exception early upgrades (meaning you aren't eligible and vzw lets you do it anyways for 1 reason or another) can not be done on iPhones and 4g phones. At the store I work at you would be denied. Who told you that you can upgrade before you are eligible to the bionic?

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You also used to also be able to pay a 20 dollar early upgrade fee, and upgrade after 1 year (if you are in a 2 year contract). I believe this perk ended when Verizon got the iphone 4 (early this year?) Anyone who signed their contract before the iphone4 came out can still do an early upgrade, but it will be the last time you'll ever have that option available to you.

Will Costco be able to do an early upgrade for me? Or do I have to go to Verizon for this?

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
you will have to go to verizon to do the early upgrade. I think if you do it online via the website, they will wave the $20 fee.

Costco can only check the computer and see if it says you are eligible or not.. (meaning you're 20 months into your 24 month contract or 10 months into your 12 month contract).

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What about if you are eligible for upgrade, does anyone know if Costco will honor the $50 off instantly for primary lines? Can't remember the name of the discount :p

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
If you mean "new every two"... Costco does not honor this upgrade.
Usually their phones are priced so competitively that its worth it to give up your NE2 upgrade and just buy it at Costco...

For instance, I could get the Droid Charge for 249- 50NE2 = 199..
A month ago, the Charge was on sale at Costco for 179... plus you got some accessories with it..

As for the Bionic...
if the price comes out at 299- 50 for the ne2 and you pay 249..

or go to costco and pay 299 and get the bundle of accessories supposedly worth over $100...

everyone is raving about it, but personally, those are all things i *probably* would not have purchased anyway... so i'd rather just save some cash up front and worry about the extra toys later...

I'm hoping Costco will put the Bionic on sale for 249 or less at some point soon...

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
If you mean "new every two"... Costco does not honor this upgrade.
Usually their phones are priced so competitively that its worth it to give up your NE2 upgrade and just buy it at Costco...

For instance, I could get the Droid Charge for 249- 50NE2 = 199..
A month ago, the Charge was on sale at Costco for 179... plus you got some accessories with it..

As for the Bionic...
if the price comes out at 299- 50 for the ne2 and you pay 249..

or go to costco and pay 299 and get the bundle of accessories supposedly worth over $100...

everyone is raving about it, but personally, those are all things i *probably* would not have purchased anyway... so i'd rather just save some cash up front and worry about the extra toys later...

I'm hoping Costco will put the Bionic on sale for 249 or less at some point soon...

I'm hoping for that as well, I probably won't have the MONEY to get the $300 for at least a few more weeks, so I really hope we see it at $250 or below

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Lets See,
I have am eligible for a NE2 -
Am past my contract term's 20th month -
A $50.00 discount upgrade eligibility -
A company discount of 21% off plan prices -

And I I go to Costco what happens?

cvmaas#AC

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just to verify, can you buy phones from Costco in store for full retail if you are not eligible for an upgrade? I checked costco.com and it says you can only buy online if you are eligible for an upgrade or add a line. I want to buy the phone out right and get the accessory bundle, so I'd like to get it from Costco.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Lets See,
I have am eligible for a NE2 -
Am past my contract term's 20th month -
A $50.00 discount upgrade eligibility -
A company discount of 21% off plan prices -

And I I go to Costco what happens?

None of those Verizon discounts matter.
You pay whatever Costco's advertised price is. Usually that price is better or comparable to the cheapest possible Verizon price.

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
if i qualify for a monthly plan+features discount through my employer, will i still receive that plan discount if i upgrade though costco?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech