Ok, I have waited for quite awhile for the Bionic. With the Prime on the horizon, (October) which phone is really better. Many people have told me that the Prime is way more advanced. Is that really true? I really didnt see much difference besides the Prime launching with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. Please advise.
    08-31-2011 02:15 PM
    Didn't feel like reading through the hundred other posts on the front page or the thousand throughout AC.... here's cliff notes:

Prime is a rumor. We don't know anything confirmed, especially release date, we can't tell you anything about it. Wait or don't, choice is yours. Also keep in mind there's always some cool new phone coming out in like 2-3 months from when your about to buy one. That's life.
    08-31-2011 02:29 PM
    Also keep in mind there's always some cool new phone coming out in like 2-3 months from when your about to buy one. That's life.
    This is 100% how I feel.

The rumored specs are better than the Bionic, but they are just rumored specs. There's not even a gaurantee it comes to VZW. And then the question is, how much better are those specs and do they justify waiting a few more months for a new phone?

That's all on you, unfortunately. I can tell you I'm not waiting, I'm getting rid of my BB as soon as I can for the Bionic. Cheers!
    08-31-2011 02:43 PM
    Well said 2defmouze! I agree 100%. But check out my interesting situation...

I'm currently in the middle of a 2-yr contract with Verizon using a Droid Incredible. My Dinc is rooted and running beautifully with CM7. I've got a family plan with my wife and I'm eligible for an early upgrade (Verizon price + $20). I also have a daughter who is itchin' to get her own phone.

Should I....

1. Get the Bionic using my early upgrade from Verizon ($320)
    2. Add a new line and get the Bionic from Costco with all of the docks ($300 + $240), then use my original upgrade on the Prime

Thoughts?
    08-31-2011 02:58 PM
    See....this is why you should own an iPhone. Too many choices, real and imagined, will drive you nuts. There is mass angst on this board and it is all orchestrated by Steve Jobs. He's a sorceror, that one!
    jroc likes this.
    08-31-2011 03:00 PM
    See....this is why you should own an iPhone. Too many choices, real and imagined, will drive you nuts. There is mass angst on this board and it is all orchestrated by Steve Jobs. He's a sorceror, that one!
    But then we would be stuck with old tech all the time.
    08-31-2011 03:03 PM
    Don't know which rock you live under, but Jobs is no longer the CEO of Apple.
    08-31-2011 03:03 PM

I'm currently in the middle of a 2-yr contract with Verizon using a Droid Incredible. My Dinc is rooted and running beautifully with CM7. I've got a family plan with my wife and I'm eligible for an early upgrade (Verizon price + $20). I also have a daughter who is itchin' to get her own phone.

Should I....

2. Add a new line and get the Bionic from Costco with all of the docks ($300 + $240), then use my original upgrade on the Prime

Thoughts?
    There is a very slight chance that if the Prime is available on Verizon, it won't be subsidized, and you will be forced to pay full price with or without an upgrade. I think Google did this with the Nexus 1. It may only be abailable throught Google. I highly doubt this is the way it will go down, but there is a chance.

If you have a daughter that wants a phone, add a line to get the Bionic, and move an old phone to that line and give it to her. Then you can move the Bionic to your line and save your upgrade. This would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I did this to get my OG Droid. I kept the line and put a dumb phone on it for my Dad to use. Best move I ever did. Now I have 2 lines the I can use for upgrades. Turns out I can get a new phone about every 10 months now!
    AZDROIDX likes this.
    08-31-2011 03:14 PM
    Does anyone remember how everyone was expecting the Nexus S to be at least dualcore and the specs ended up just being a GS1 with stock Gingerbread? Rumors are rumors for a reason. I have this gut feeling that many are going to be disappointed in what the Prime ends up being. My guess is it will essentially be a higher clocked GS2 with stock ICS. I don't think it'll have an HD screen either.
    KillerG and moondrius like this.
    08-31-2011 03:18 PM

Should I....

Thoughts?
    Thanks. Your situation sounds fine, if you want the bionic real bad then do it, doesn't sound like you have much to lose. Why do so many people want a bunch of forum nerds to make these decisions for them? (lol not a shot at anyone specifically, just think its silly is all ) Good luck with whatever you choose!

Oh as a side note since you are happy with your rooted dinc and sound like your not in a rush, I would suggest waiting til bionic is out for a little and see how the reviews are and the forum feels about it. Waiting a bit might give you more info on some of the rumored phones hitting in the next few months and you'll decide to skip bionic altogether. Its all up to you..
    08-31-2011 03:30 PM
    I'm in a sort of a similar situation like Issemann but my I have an upgrade with an NE2 and I also have a family plan but with my mother she has had a upgrade since 2007 but never used it she is still using a phone my dad had when was with verizon before he left us (meaning he went to apple their still married lol).

But anyway I was thinking of using my upgrade for the Bionic then if the HTC Vigor or Prime seems better to me I would transfer her upgrade to me and get on of those phones.
    08-31-2011 04:35 PM
    But then we would be stuck with old tech all the time.
    Lol my English teacher is thinking about buying a new iPhone, but I told him to screw getting the 4, the 5 comes out in like a month. And if he really wants to get a phone that will actually last him his 2 year contract, to go for the Samsung Galaxy S II for AT&T (since he wants to stay on AT&T). Now he's terrible with technology, that's why everything he owns is Apple (go figure).

And also, on topic of the post. What everyone has said is true, we don't know much of anything about the Prime, when it's coming out, what the specs will really be, etc. We do know that Google has partnered with Texas Instruments, so we'll probably see an OMAP4 as a result of that. Basically you have to ask yourself, do I want Ice Cream Sandwich early? Or a few months after the first ICS phones come out?
    08-31-2011 06:03 PM
    After Samsung's announcement of the Galaxy Note, I wonder if that is the origin for all the Nexus Prime rumors... Sounds like a monster, but it's just too big as a phone. If that is the case, nothing holding back a Bionic purchase anymore.
    09-01-2011 10:18 AM
    After Samsung's announcement of the Galaxy Note, I wonder if that is the origin for all the Nexus Prime rumors... Sounds like a monster, but it's just too big as a phone. If that is the case, nothing holding back a Bionic purchase anymore.
    no, the Note is NOT the Prime - 2 different devices entirely. but, the fact that the Note will have Sammy's Super AMOLED HD screen gives a lot of hope/credence that the Prime will have the same screen (type, not size). and, looking at some of the videos, this could be a significant jump over the Bionic (without taking into account personal preferences).

also, given what Sammy has been debuting lately, we can tell that the device will be slimmer than the Bionic. for the hardware, indications are only incremental upgrades over the Bionic.

but the main point for the Prime is that it's an Android enthusiast's phone. it's unlocked, stock Andy, so dev'rs can have a field day with it. that's one of the biggest draws for me. but, if being able to really hack into your device isn't high on your priority list, then the Bionic should suit you just fine.

personally, the Bionic is a distant 3rd on my list. i'm waiting for the Prime and Droid HD before making any purchase.
    09-01-2011 11:00 AM
    DroidHD no way nonremovable battery. Samsung nope don't care what oc or brand its still Samsung. Screen tech doesn't bother me. I'm all Motorola or nothing so my choice is Bionic only because I want 4g and dual core. In six months quad core will b here
    09-01-2011 11:05 AM
    This thread is the equivalent of walking up to a bunch of iPhone enthusiasts camping outside the Apple store and asking them if you should get an iPhone or a Droid. You're not going to get a lot of people saying "yeah man wait for The Prime." Maybe the example is a little extreme but you are in a room full of excited Bionic lovers at the moment.
    SnydersWeb and trailblazen like this.
    09-01-2011 11:08 AM
    DroidHD no way nonremovable battery. Samsung nope don't care what oc or brand its still Samsung. Screen tech doesn't bother me. I'm all Motorola or nothing so my choice is Bionic only because I want 4g and dual core. In six months quad core will b here
    that non-removable battery rumor started with the Dinara, which is a different device and headed to at&t. the leaked shots of the DHD indicate that the battery is removable.

Moto and VZW people are said to be really excited about the DHD (much more so than the Bionic), and the guys over at HoFo are labelling it as THE device to have this year.
    09-01-2011 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD