$100 back from Verizon for upgrading from basic to smartphone

nimazahir

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I talked to the workers online at verizon and they said you could use the gift card to pay your bills from them. Or you can just wait and use it on your next phone.

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
is there any sort of contingency or variant of this promotion if you are upgrading from a smartphone?

I read through all the fine print I could find and it doesn't even say you have to send them the phone you are using right now. As far as I can tell, you buy a new phone on the 2 year plan, a few days later they send you a promo code, you go to the normal trade-in page and put in any phone that they would normally allow as a trade -in and then type in the promo code, hit enter, and that phone now shows up as worth $100 no matter what it normally would have been worth.

Pretty much just another convoluted way that Verizon is giving us a "rebate"

King Howie

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I read through all the fine print I could find and it doesn't even say you have to send them the phone you are using right now. As far as I can tell, you buy a new phone on the 2 year plan, a few days later they send you a promo code, you go to the normal trade-in page and put in any phone that they would normally allow as a trade -in and then type in the promo code, hit enter, and that phone now shows up as worth $100 no matter what it normally would have been worth.

Pretty much just another convoluted way that Verizon is giving us a "rebate"

i read up on this a day or two ago, and iirc, once you enter your code, they send an envelope in which you are to send your phone.

i hope they have this deal when the bionic is released. $100 might be enough for me to not see how many .41 holes i can put in my enV Touch, which is my current plan...

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
i read up on this a day or two ago, and iirc, once you enter your code, they send an envelope in which you are to send your phone.

i hope they have this deal when the bionic is released. $100 might be enough for me to not see how many .41 holes i can put in my enV Touch, which is my current plan...

I'm thinking of doing something insane with my old Chocolate, I need to find something more interesting than target practice though. Maybe I'll like glue it to someone's car or something, or to the office door at school. THAT would be funny, get some super glue.

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just as an update I saw some internal training docs on another site and one does indeed have to be on a non-smartphone plan right now to be eligible for the $100 special deal (and their system even highlights eligible folk)

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with Verizon Customer Service. The lady said that you have to be on a non smartphone plan. I told her I was worried about that and getting stuck with a tiered data plan when I signed back up. She said that I could switch to a non smart phone, buy the bionic, and then add the data plan back on without getting the tiered data- SO LONG AS I make the switch back to data within 14 days.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just asked myself about this again. "Stephanie H.: You will upgrade to a smart phone, and mail your basic phone in, and then receive a $100 gift card." So meaning you don't get to use the gift card on the phone, but you can use it on your bill or accessories.

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I just want to 100% clarify one thing.

Is it possible to trade in a phone that IS NOT my current phone? I have a phone I had on Verizon about 4 years ago that I never sold when I upgraded to the next phone (I usually sell my old phone when I upgrade. This one was too beat up). Could I use this for the $100 gift card or does it NEED to be my current phone?

Thanks guys!

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just want to 100% clarify one thing.

Is it possible to trade in a phone that IS NOT my current phone? I have a phone I had on Verizon about 4 years ago that I never sold when I upgraded to the next phone (I usually sell my old phone when I upgrade. This one was too beat up). Could I use this for the $100 gift card or does it NEED to be my current phone?

Thanks guys!

Sorry, but I can't answer that for sure, but I do know that you have to actually be on a non-smartphone plan with verizon to take advantage.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I want to know more about this for my girlfriend. She is on her sisters family plan with a basic phone. I was going to give her my droid 1 and she would get a data plan for it. She is not eligible for an upgrade yet. I'm guessing she got her last upgrade around a year ago more or less. This might be tempting for her to get a droid 3 (she likes the physical keyboard). Can she upgrade early? Also i'm assuming the $100 could be used towards the billing.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I want to know more about this for my girlfriend. She is on her sisters family plan with a basic phone. I was going to give her my droid 1 and she would get a data plan for it. She is not eligible for an upgrade yet. I'm guessing she got her last upgrade around a year ago more or less. This might be tempting for her to get a droid 3 (she likes the physical keyboard). Can she upgrade early? Also i'm assuming the $100 could be used towards the billing.

I guess she could if they let her upgrade early. And yeah, the $100 can go towards the bill.

jmullinsiu

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just talked to vzw. I have an upgrade on another phone in my family plan due in October. They are letting me exchange an old vzw phone for an early upgrade plus the $100 on my og droid line!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know yet if you can trade an OLDER verizon phone towards this or does it HAVE to be your most recent phone before the upgrade?

jw81

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about any phone but I was able to keep my unlimited data from my lg versa. That will be phone that I will trade in to verizon.

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't be completely sure, but you can always try?

The phone is not returnable (don't really care since its extremely old and beat up), but more importantly I wouldn't want to lose the $100 promo code. They said they have the ability to lower the stated value if it doesn't meet the conditions of the promo code.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1