Thoughts after using Bionic plus pictures

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Psome people get carried away with these test. Same with computers. These are called synthectic benchmarks. They rarely show real world performance. Some apps with run better with cpu A. Some will run better with cpu B.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Clock speed isn't everything. It hasn't been since somewhere around 2003
For a non-phone example, my desktop computer has an AMD Phenom dual core clocked at 2.6 Ghz. My laptop has a core i3 clocked at 2.1 Ghz, and yep, my laptop is faster than my desktop.

It is all good, I never said it was everything did I? Now that has settled, I know clock speed is a component of performance. Bus speed, Ram, Triangular base also influence performance, along with the OS, and the nature of the APP, or permissions an app may have. I just think you jumped the gun with "clock speed means nothing." and I know it does because I built an ASUS gaming PC last year, and the chip on the mother board DID play a factor. You and I clearly look at guts differently. I could clock my OG droid at almost 1Ghz more than it was built for. My X will never run stable at 2Ghz. The chip architecture does matter to me. But that is my preference.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Clock speed alone, no. Chipset (dual-core), clock speed, RAM, GPU - then yes - add it all up and yes it does matter. We all know that if a newer phone comes out in 3 weeks while we're all rocking our Bionics we'll all have phone envy. That's what being a phone geek is all about. Otherwise you wouldn't be on this thread. :)

I come to the forums to read/learn about phones and what can be done with them. I'm always curious about what is coming up next, but that doesn't mean I'll have phone envy. A friend of mine has a Photon, and that is the first phone I've had envy over. Til then I was perfectly happy with my OG Droid. I wasn't jealous of the specs, but when I got to play with it I wanted one :)
I just think people put too much stock in specs. I've read about people who don't want the Bionic because they want to wait for a quad core phone. There isn't anything that takes advantage of dual core yet, but people want something with better specs. it just doesn't make sense to me. If it runs great, who cares how you label it(other than iPhone people, but lets not go there please)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Psome people get carried away with these test. Same with computers. These are called synthectic benchmarks. They rarely show real world performance. Some apps with run better with cpu A. Some will run better with cpu B.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This is true and a reason some kernels run better volted up or down while the same kernels crash other devices.

Reactions: jroc

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay - but at least agree with me when I say that if the Bionic comes in with a Quadrant score of 3000 you won't get all hyped up over it?!

Ha Ha, sure it is fun to see. I really got a kick out of getting my OG Droid Quadrant score up to almost 1600, it was exciting. I am just saying that, by itself, a better or worse quadrant score does not prove which phone is better or worse or by what degree - although, every time I am able to squeeze my droid up past other phones I look at the list and think "you suck!" to the phones below it. :)

Have fun with it, but keep in mind that these scores are really not that black and white as a guide.

dcdevito

Banned
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You're a numbers consumer, which isn't a good idea. ESPECIALLY when it comes to technology. The phone coming out after the Bionic is the Vigor, and I definitely don't look at that phone with envy!

No I'm not, I'm an informed consumer - just like you, hence where we are. Specs aren't the only thing to me, but it's a starting point nonetheless. This is what my next phone has to be\has:

1. Dual-core 1GHz+
2. 1GB RAM
3. LTE
4. Big battery
5. Bright screen
6. Smooth UI - no lags, bugs or jerkiness
7. Some added security features
8. Better exchange support
9. no crapware - hey a boy can dream.
10. HDMI + mirroring
11. unlocked bootloader

We'll see how the Bionic delivers. I'm always skeptical of MotoBlur.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It is all good, I never said it was everything did I? Now that has settled, I know clock speed is a component of performance. Bus speed, Ram, Triangular base also influence performance, along with the OS, and the nature of the APP, or permissions an app may have. I just think you jumped the gun with "clock speed means nothing." and I know it does because I built an ASUS gaming PC last year, and the chip on the mother board DID play a factor. You and I clearly look at guts differently. I could clock my OG droid at almost 1Ghz more than it was built for. My X will never run stable at 2Ghz. The chip architecture does matter to me. But that is my preference.

I never said "clock speed means nothing" I said it wasn't everything. Big difference. The assumption that a phone will run faster just because it has a 1.5 Ghz processor vs one with a 1 Ghz processor is faulty because there are so many other factors. How well would your gaming PC run if you put Windows 95 on it?
It may be that it does run faster, but saying that it definitely will just isn't true.

kishin14

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

I really don't think you can compare the OG to a DX in terms of stable OCing. The OG was completely unlocked, the DX is not, so no custom kernels. I'm pretty sure that if the DX was unlocked, you'd be able to OC it at a higher speed.

dcdevito

Banned
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Ha Ha, sure it is fun to see. I really got a kick out of getting my OG Droid Quadrant score up to almost 1600, it was exciting. I am just saying that, by itself, a better or worse quadrant score does not prove which phone is better or worse or by what degree - although, every time I am able to squeeze my droid up past other phones I look at the list and think "you suck!" to the phones below it. :)

Have fun with it, but keep in mind that these scores are really not that black and white as a guide.

Agreed. Now let's go get our Bionics already.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
No I'm not, I'm an informed consumer - just like you, hence where we are. Specs aren't the only thing to me, but it's a starting point nonetheless. This is what my next phone has to be\has:

1. Dual-core 1GHz+
2. 1GB RAM
3. LTE
4. Big battery
5. Bright screen
10. HDMI + mirroring
11. unlocked bootloader

this is the kind of post that makes good sense. Knowing what you want and basing your purchase on that is what any smart consumer will do.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
By the way, regarding the LapDock. I just sent an e-mail directly to the salesman I'm working with at VZW Corporate to see if I can get confirmation of whether its truely just an accessory or if its going to require some sort of 'monthly fee' to use it. Hopefully he can come through.

Well THAT was not something I wanted to see as a reply from my VZW Sales rep....

"I don't have specific detail yet, but I expect that a feature (ie; additional charges) will be required to use the Lapdock."

Man I hope he is wrong.

dcdevito

Banned
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well THAT was not something I wanted to see as a reply from my VZW Sales rep....

"I don't have specific detail yet, but I expect that a feature (ie; additional charges) will be required to use the Lapdock."

Man I hope he is wrong.

Yeah that would be bad - but unless it's 10x better than the Atrix dock it's not worth it. Someone at my job has the Atrix dock and it's eh - okay, but not worth $299. It certainly wouldn't be worth a hill of beans if we had to pay a reoccurring service fee.

kishin14

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

1. Dual-core 1GHz+
2. 1GB RAM
3. LTE
4. Big battery
5. Bright screen
10. HDMI + mirroring
11. unlocked bootloader

Heck, why stop there? Why not 2GB of ram, a true 720p HD screen, 32gigs of internal storage AND a 32gig sdcard, 10 days of battery life with heavy usage, a thinner profile, the ability to get your groceries, make your bed... That's what I'm holding out for.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Yeah that would be bad - but unless it's 10x better than the Atrix dock it's not worth it. Someone at my job has the Atrix dock and it's eh - okay, but not worth $299. It certainly wouldn't be worth a hill of beans if we had to pay a reoccurring service fee.

I'd still use it, but it just depends if its literally a 'feature' cost. If it was only $2-3 a month like it is to have Visual Voicemail... then maybe I could tolerate the cost but if its $15+ per month i'd be a little annoyed as I still am not convinced they should charge you for making your screen bigger with a keyboard/touchpad.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think you can compare the OG to a DX in terms of stable OCing. The OG was completely unlocked, the DX is not, so no custom kernels. I'm pretty sure that if the DX was unlocked, you'd be able to OC it at a higher speed.

Good point, and my does this clock speed become more relevant every time!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Man I hope he is wrong.

Do they just not want to sell those things? You'd think they'd make them reasonably priced and not charge extra as a "feature" then once everyone became dependent on them they would slowly up the price. Don't they pay any attention to cable companies?

geeksbsmrt

Don't call me a nerd
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd still use it, but it just depends if its literally a 'feature' cost. If it was only $2-3 a month like it is to have Visual Voicemail... then maybe I could tolerate the cost but if its $15+ per month i'd be a little annoyed as I still am not convinced they should charge you for making your screen bigger with a keyboard/touchpad.

Isn't that for the most part what tethering is?

If they wanted to they could say that the use of the LapDock is a form of tethering and charge the entire fee to tether.