Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but a friend @ target mobile told me they will be offering instant rebates on the Bionic for half off the phone. However, they also told me that they could not be certain that they would get the phone on the 8th. It's possible they get it a week or two later, but they could still get it on the 8th.

Just an FYI for those (like myself) that are willing to wait to save a few bucks!
    09-06-2011 06:26 AM
    Never bought a phone from anywhere but verizon before but if this is true I may consider getting one from there so what it like to buy from target mobile is there insurance good I here best buys insurance is the best
    09-06-2011 09:52 AM
    Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but a friend @ target mobile told me they will be offering instant rebates on the Bionic for half off the phone. However, they also told me that they could not be certain that they would get the phone on the 8th. It's possible they get it a week or two later, but they could still get it on the 8th.

Just an FYI for those (like myself) that are willing to wait to save a few bucks!
    Half off which price? Retail or the $299 new contract price?
    09-06-2011 10:19 AM
    Half off the contract price, and their insurance is interesting, you pay $99 up front for the insurance and no monthly. I don't think there is a deductable either but it might be $50... I can't remember, sorry. But I remember thinking it was a way better deal than what I had for insurance.
    09-06-2011 10:35 AM
    Wow...that is good!

Is this valid only for new customers or those that are upgrading as well?

If I can get the phone for $150, that is better than the Costco deal w/ accessories since I get 25% off accessories at Verizon and would rather have the HDMI dock and extended battery!
    09-06-2011 10:41 AM
    I was just at Target Mobile. Did not hear about any discounts except if you trade in an old piece of equipment.

They said at least 2 weeks from when Verizon has it. None of their other phones are half off so I doubt it.
    09-06-2011 11:09 AM
    what it like to buy from target mobile is there insurance good I here best buys insurance is the best
    Not sure if anything changed with Best Buy's "Black Tie" program, but it sucked for me last year when I needed it most.... I purchased my Dinc from them back in May 2010, and enrolled in their "Black Tie" program which cost $10/mth. In Oct 2010, I had problems with the screen and took it to Best Buy. They said it had to be shipped back to HTC for a replacement. In the meantime, they would give me a piece of crap Blackberry or dumb phone until I received the replacement. I asked how long it would take and they said 3-4 weeks. I asked why they couldn't give me another Dinc (or Android smartphone, for that matter) and they said it's not their policy to do so.

I immediately canceled the "Black Tie" service and went to my local Verizon Wireless store. They said the Dinc comes with a 1 yr warranty, so they sent me a refurbished phone via FedEx 2nd day air.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like ANY insurance program is worth the cost, no??
    09-06-2011 11:20 AM
    The title probably should include YMMV
    09-06-2011 11:22 AM
    I was just at Target Mobile. Did not hear about any discounts except if you trade in an old piece of equipment.

They said at least 2 weeks from when Verizon has it. None of their other phones are half off so I doubt it.
    I'm just passing info along from what my friend told me who works for Target Mobile, and they have had some excellent deals in the past, offering INSTANT rebates in lieu of mail in rebates, etc.
    09-06-2011 11:47 AM
    Wow...that is good!

Is this valid only for new customers or those that are upgrading as well?

If I can get the phone for $150, that is better than the Costco deal w/ accessories since I get 25% off accessories at Verizon and would rather have the HDMI dock and extended battery!
    Yup upgrades too, thats what I'm going for as well, but I'm not counting on it being there this Thursday, that's the only draw back...
    09-06-2011 11:50 AM
    Not sure if anything changed with Best Buy's "Black Tie" program, but it sucked for me last year when I needed it most.... I purchased my Dinc from them back in May 2010, and enrolled in their "Black Tie" program which cost $10/mth. In Oct 2010, I had problems with the screen and took it to Best Buy. They said it had to be shipped back to HTC for a replacement. In the meantime, they would give me a piece of crap Blackberry or dumb phone until I received the replacement. I asked how long it would take and they said 3-4 weeks. I asked why they couldn't give me another Dinc (or Android smartphone, for that matter) and they said it's not their policy to do so.

I immediately canceled the "Black Tie" service and went to my local Verizon Wireless store. They said the Dinc comes with a 1 yr warranty, so they sent me a refurbished phone via FedEx 2nd day air.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like ANY insurance program is worth the cost, no??
    I never buy insurance. You are covered against defects for one year anyway - if it dies after that you can probably buy that same phone used for close to what the insurance cost you. I would never recommend insurance to anyone unless they are prone to losing or destroying there phones. If you are worried about having money if something happens - get a jar and put the $7? in there every month.

--edit: This is also part of the reason I stick with a company like Motorola. My OG Droid has been dropped or fallen dozens of times on hard surfaces, down a set of hardwood stairs and still works perfectly. I had a motorola phone thrown out of a 4th story window into the street before and the phone continued to work for many months after that, after I found it.
    09-06-2011 01:11 PM
    Who can save cash in a jar?go to your bank and have them take out 7 bucks per month and put it in an account
    09-06-2011 01:49 PM
    Who can save cash in a jar?go to your bank and have them take out 7 bucks per month and put it in an account
    If I had cash in a jar i would get a real creepy feeling every time I walked anywhere NEAR it cuz it'd be calling my name saying 'use me, use me' and who am I to refuse a request like that?!?

Principle is the same though, save the money 'somewhere/somehow'. I have been throwing the money away on my OG Droid $7/month since I got it... but I did use it last year when I walked it into a pool. Sad thing is, the deductible was still $80. So for $80 plus the monthly fee, that comes to $220. The OG Droid, at least via normal retailers, was more than $220 outright, so technically I saved money, but damn it adds up.
    09-06-2011 01:54 PM
    If I had cash in a jar i would get a real creepy feeling every time I walked anywhere NEAR it cuz it'd be calling my name saying 'use me, use me' and who am I to refuse a request like that?!?

Principle is the same though, save the money 'somewhere/somehow'. I have been throwing the money away on my OG Droid $7/month since I got it... but I did use it last year when I walked it into a pool. Sad thing is, the deductible was still $80. So for $80 plus the monthly fee, that comes to $220. The OG Droid, at least via normal retailers, was more than $220 outright, so technically I saved money, but damn it adds up.
    Yeah, I've been putting money away for the Bionic for a while. Not that I can't drop $300 on a phone, it just feels nicer to have that money already saved.

I too pay for insurance. It's expensive, but I've used it in the past for simply the deductible (mine was $50 at the time) and it got me a phone that was pristine and worked well. Considering that was a month or two after I had my phone, I had only spent about $70. Yes, normally stuff covered under warranty, but that doesn't account for all situations.

One thing, it may be cheaper to go through your actual insurance (for example. I looked into it and my homeowners has I think $5 a month with no deductible for coverage on a phone. I still have to get all the details, but I'm thinking about heading that route).
    09-06-2011 01:57 PM
    This is the best way, you should even make a little interest on it! As Chevy said after you - I really just meant put the money aside somewhere. If you don't end up having to use the money before your next upgrade you'll have a big chunk of the cost of your next phone.
    09-06-2011 02:11 PM
    I never buy insurance. You are covered against defects for one year anyway - if it dies after that you can probably buy that same phone used for close to what the insurance cost you. I would never recommend insurance to anyone unless they are prone to losing or destroying there phones. If you are worried about having money if something happens - get a jar and put the $7? in there every month.

--edit: This is also part of the reason I stick with a company like Motorola. My OG Droid has been dropped or fallen dozens of times on hard surfaces, down a set of hardwood stairs and still works perfectly. I had a motorola phone thrown out of a 4th story window into the street before and the phone continued to work for many months after that, after I found it.
    Haha thats pretty wild!
    im on my 3rd DX. First one fell from about waist high onto concrete. Physically there was a small ding in the phone, but internally the gps stopped working. Then my replacement would chew the battery up twice as fast as my original droidX and it heated up like crazy. Now this third one, works well and is a tank. It survived quite a few drops and still works flawlessly
    09-06-2011 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD