How should I charge the battery for the first time?

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I keep hearing conflicting methods. Some say to charge it 100% before using it and some say turn it on, let it drain, and then charge it to 100%.

Which is the correct way to optimize battery life?

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
There's many ways to charge it ha. I don't even care to charge it when I get it because I'm caught up in the moment. Haha :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
There's many ways to charge it ha. I don't even care to charge it when I get it because I'm caught up in the moment. Haha :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Plug one end of your cable into a wall socket and the other end into the phone. Use the phone while it is charging and don't worry about draining the battery to zero for a week. That is very oblolete.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Older battery technology was required specific charging procedures for optimal life, but not a factor anymore with newer batteries these days.

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Batteries still do develop that "memory" but not to that serious degree from way back. I still do the first 5 uses of full charge and full discharge.

Then every 30 cycles you want to do another full charge/discharge.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
On topic - is it bad to charge a battery overnight...can it "overcharge"? In other words, should it be unplugged as soon as the charge is complete?

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
You really don't need to worry that much any more, but the best way to take care of the battery is to follow the manufacturers instructions in the manual - only they know the specs of the charging circuit and the power level indicators they are using and will provide the best advice. Generally speaking - the worst things for LiIon batteries is to Overcharge and let drain too low.

carzaddict

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
to sum up what everyone said:

dont worry about overcharging.....Motorola said it themselves in the press release, the phone will protect its battery from being overcharged. Charge the phone as you would normally charge them. dont worry about having to drain it

whitecomet

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
follow motos instructions on this. Overcharging is not a issue it has a built in kill switch and tones the battery as necessary. the will have instructions that work best since they made the produt.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I would say just let it charge all the way, and then discharge all the way over the course of the day. Pump up the brightness and let it go all the way to 0%. Just my opinion, but a new battery should be conditioned a little bit. But I never discharge my battery all the way on my phone, so I probably wouldn't end up doing this. It's not going to make a huge difference if you don't, just maybe an extra 2 minutes of power.

eygraber

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
follow motos instructions on this. Overcharging is not a issue it has a built in kill switch and tones the battery as necessary. the will have instructions that work best since they made the produt.

This is true. I purchased the extra battery and battery charger today and in the instructions (I was so excited to have something related to the Bionic that I read all the instructions :) ) it says to just plug it in and let it go. Motorola has a patent on the method for making sure the battery doesn't overcharge which is why with a lot of other phones you'll get a message saying to unplug the phone.