If I get the Bionic tomorrow, what to do about messaging...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
especially to a BB. I use BBM all the time and my wife has a BB that won't get replaced with an Android until Oct. We are already spending $5 each for limited SMS and I don't want to spend more for more SMS. What apps are there that we can message each other, that work well and hopefully have the Read flag feature? I've got little time to get the Bionic set up due to going out of town early Sat morning. It's got to go "smooth and by the numbers" or I'm in for a lousy time! :)

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I usually just email my friends' bbm email addresses (username@vzw.blackberry.net). They get my messages instantaneously. They reply, I get push email so I get their responses right away. Since I'm using gmail, it threads the messages automatically. Not exactly "chat", but close enough.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
My wife I and I use Gtalk all the time. Works on almost any platform. I can easily jump form my phone to my pc or vice versa.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
the one problem i've found with Gtalk is that battery life takes a bit of a hit. I've read reports that say otherwise, but i try to keep my gtalk usage to a minimum

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I usually just email my friends' bbm email addresses (username@vzw.blackberry.net). They get my messages instantaneously. They reply, I get push email so I get their responses right away. Since I'm using gmail, it threads the messages automatically. Not exactly "chat", but close enough.

great idea! the BB emails are instantaneous (well, if we count 1 or 2 seconds as instant!). Whenever I want to get something to my BB immediately, I use my vzw.blackberry.net addy for instant gratification.

monger

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Google talk for messaging.

And just in case you didn't already know. Go to m.google.com/sync and download google sync to sync your contacts and calendar to your gmail account for easy download to your new phone.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Google talk for messaging.

And just in case you didn't already know. Go to m.google.com/sync and download google sync to sync your contacts and calendar to your gmail account for easy download to your new phone.

thx. I use Google Sync on my BB--I'd be lost without Google Calendars.

dataz722

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just have to ask. Why do people use BBM or any other IM service at all? What is the advantage of that over just normal text message. I know most people don't want to pay for unlimted text but you already get unlimited within verizon. I would assume that you and your wife are both with Verizon if not on the same plan, correct?

I had a BB for a few years and never once even opened BBM. I just don't understand the appeal. Is there something I am missing?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I use Kik messenger and find that it works well without killing my battery. It is the only messenger service (I think) that supports "read notifications" like BBM...

BUT...it doesn't work so well on the blackberry. RIM made them tweak it for BBs (probably because it worked as well as BBM) so that now messages are delayed going to the blackberry. Just something to keep in mind for October when you're trying to message android - android.

It works very well android - android and android - iphone.

mikeloftin#AC

Banned
Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
ping chat works well for cross platform and it is now supported by blackberry

I use Kik messenger and find that it works well without killing my battery. It is the only messenger service (I think) that supports "read notifications" like BBM...

BUT...it doesn't work so well on the blackberry. RIM made them tweak it for BBs (probably because it worked as well as BBM) so that now messages are delayed going to the blackberry. Just something to keep in mind for October when you're trying to message android - android.

It works very well android - android and android - iphone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC