Bionic First Impressions/Reviews

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
To reply why I am keeping my TB I love the screen. It is quite fast for me. I have 4G in the valley but not in my home area so I am using 3G wherever I am. I am doing ok with the battery life actually. There are ways to tweak it. I don't think it is so huge it is a 4.3 screen. I like how it also has a fast boot and immediately powers up ! Music sounds great on it. Camera is awesome. Call quality and Sense UI I prefer HTC products. It is a personal preference.

monkeypunch35

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I really like they phone... my only complaint is the camera. It is insanely slow. Yeah yeah, I know it isn't "made" for taking pictures, but man is it slow.

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I won't repeat what everyone else has said. It is very fast because I came from an OG Droid. The screen looks great until I looked at it through a high powered magnifing glass, but I see the same thing on my Samsung plasma TV when I put the glass on it. Using Navigon was always iffy and really slow but now it flies. The only thing I noticed that was a little odd was it seems to run hotter than my OG when it is downloading. The Navigon is a 2 GB download and on my OG, I had to restart it numerous times even though I was on WIFI. My 4G indicated two bars and it went to 51C/124F. Maybe it was working with a weak 4G signal, but 2 barrs seem like plenty. However, the temperature warning did not come on so I guess it was OK. I was also charging at the time and since this is not rooted, it was showing battery temperature rather than CPU temperature. Battery temperature is much higher. My OG shows 22C right now and the CPU is 33C. So,I will guess it was caused by high speed download, fast CPU, charging and it is not old and tired like the OG.

Last edited:

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I have loaded my apps but I can not fine the Amazon app store anywhere. Did Apple manage to get a court injuction against that too?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Just had the chance to play with a friends Bionic for roughly an hour and while the phone is extremely solid and a serious performer.. i'll have to stick with my Charge. The screen is the deal breaker for me, as much as I hate to admit it. Maybe I set myself up for failure coming from the Charge, but i'd constantly think about how pixelated the screen is and it would drive me bonkers.

Overall though, i'm sure many many people will love this phone :)
I had the same problem, but it was a switch to an x2 from the charge. You get used to it though, and I don't even notice it anymore. I also much prefer the lagless x2 and blue os to the charge's lag and brown

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just came back from my local Verizon store and compared the Droid Bionic with my Droid Charge.

1. Display: This was the first area that I wanted to compare. The Display Screen is the most prominent feature for any smartphone so for me, it is important that the screen provide me with a very good image. I was disappointed with the Bionics display. I found it to be very pixelated. After being spoiled with the Charge's displya for 2 months now, I can honestly say that the Bionic's display seemed washed out. I compared exactly the same photos from my flickr.com website side by side with my Charge and even the Verizon rep acknowledge the superiority of the Charge's display.

2. Performance. I did find the Bionic a bit faster than my Charge but not really that big of a deal. Even though the Bionic has a Dual Core it is only 1ghz as fast as the Charge. One has to remember that there is a bottleneck between the processor and the rest of the phone's circuits to the display. No matter how fast your processor is, there can only be so much data that can be pushed through that bottleneck (bus). Watching streaming video (Netflix), was an eye openner.

Having had the charge, the real test will be loading it down with texts and info and using it for a few days. Frankly, the charge blew chunks when it came to real use. Using a dual core after the charge is night and day.

(And the bionic isn't just a little faster. It has double the RAM, and its ddr2, which makes it even faster.)

There's nothing wrong with the charge, but any dual core phone smokes it.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
First impression after playing with one today was, this thing is fast. Imo as fast if not faster than the sensation. The galaxy s2 is still king but the bionic is a very close second on my list right now. Hardware aesthetics and overall feel made me really like it

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Just put a live wall paper on my bionic that caused my X to lag, so far I cannot tell I even have a livewasll paper loaded, nice!

Cvballa3g0

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I love the phone. very fast. 4g is amazing. Pentile is okay, and only notice the grids when I actually try to notice them.

Two things i dont know how to work though, the focus on the camera(different from the OG Droid) and is there anyway to turn the radios off? like 3g and 4g. I know how to toggle between them.. it's just that i dont see why 3g is on when i have my wifi on... it bugs me.

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
im loving this phone after coming from the dinc. the screen is a small let down but its not even close to a deal breaker. everything is smooth on this phone, the transitions and widgets are amazing. ive had only one problem since using and that was changing the wallpaper using a 3rd party app it would set but when i locked the phone it would revert after messing with it i got a random reboot and after that the wallpaper worked flawlessly. I'm thinking it was a fluke because i was using the phone pretty heavily

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Loving this phone coming from the iPhone 4....Android absolutely puts iOS to shame. Can anyone recommend a thread or a source of information where I can find out about the best place to DL/find wallpapers, widgets, etc.? Is everything from the marketplace for the most part?

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I love the phone. very fast. 4g is amazing. Pentile is okay, and only notice the grids when I actually try to notice them.

Two things i dont know how to work though, the focus on the camera(different from the OG Droid) and is there anyway to turn the radios off? like 3g and 4g. I know how to toggle between them.. it's just that i dont see why 3g is on when i have my wifi on... it bugs me.

The 3g/4g icon doesn't go away when you are using wifi - it turns white instead.

DroidnOk

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Loving this phone coming from the iPhone 4....Android absolutely puts iOS to shame. Can anyone recommend a thread or a source of information where I can find out about the best place to DL/find wallpapers, widgets, etc.? Is everything from the marketplace for the most part?

Here of course. Also, another good site I recommend is droidforums.net. The Marketplace has a lot to offer as well. It's where you'll download most of your widgets/apps that you'll use on a daily basis. Hope this helps :)

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Got mine today and must say that MOTO has a winner with this one even with the car battery that I have hooked up to it. Great job.

pdecell

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Very nice phone. Going from HTC sense on my Eris to Motoblur or whatever Motorola calls its overlay-now, will take some getting used to. The display is great on par with the Thunderbolt at least to my eyes. It is certainly not as nice as the Charge's display but again to my eyes very good. The pentile issue that some reviewers worry about seems to be much a do about nothing.

The camera is very good but the camera software is not a complete as on the Thunderbolt.-color rendering is not as good either, tends to be a bit cool but a lot better than say the D3. The camera seems slow focusing to me but that may be me needing to figure it out better. This weekend when I have more time, I will probably do some comparison shooting in the field with this camera, my DSLR and my Eris and maybe my wife's iPhone.

The phone is real fast-I do like the interface over all; call quality seems very good. As for accessories - I just went for the basics a car charger; one of those battery charges that holds two charges and an otterbox case and holster. I don't like holsters but the phone is too big for my pockets! I might spring for the little $49 media dock but the webtop stuff doesn't seem like anything I would use. :)

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Some people are saying the camera software isn't that great. Since I don't have it quite yet..I can't test my theory that it's just the software. Obviously the hardware is there, so I think the camera software is just crap because Motorola doesn't care about the camera (well not complete garbage, but not quite as good as it could be). Can someone try out a new camera app? I've seen some on the marketplace that I saw paired with the Droid 3 that produced amazing pictures and had a lot more features, and even the auto settings produced better results than the stock Motorola app.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
in the market, there is a app with thousands of wall papers,do a search for backgrounds and it willcome up, its also listed in the top free apps