Major Bionic Issues, Anyone else?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Most of these sound like network issues or derivatives of network issues.

1. Power down the phone
2. Remove the batter door and battery
3. Remove the SIM card
4. Keep the SIM card out for a minimum of 30 seconds but I would suggest at least a minute
5. Put the phone back together and power it up

See if that helps.

You mentioned it crashing during activation. You didn't do a *228 on the Bionic did you? You should never do that on a 4G phone, The steps above accomplish the same thing (forcing the phone to disconnect and re-register with the network).

When i first activated the phone it sat there with no signal with a blinking triangle for like 10 minutes.
If you try to *228 the phone it says the phone was activated by the sim card. It wont let you call it. I didnt know that at the time with LTE phones, but now i do. Ill do what you said above and report back.

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I just had my data drop out tonight and had the triangle you speak of. It just dropped 3G in the middle of a download. Had to reboot to get it back on and it has been fine since. I am not in a 4g area, so I have mine set for CDMA only.

The other issue I have had that is more bothersome to me is my phone often does not activate the bedside program when I insert it into the home dock. I use it as my alarm clock and I often have to plug it in and out several times to get it to activate. Seems to activate fine in the car dock though, so it might just be the dock. Anyone else experiencing that issue?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
When i first activated the phone it sat there with no signal with a blinking triangle for like 10 minutes.
If you try to *228 the phone it says the phone was activated by the sim card. It wont let you call it. I didnt know that at the time with LTE phones, but now i do. Ill do what you said above and report back.

Yes that is what is supposed to happen but I have heard of rare instances with Thunderbolts which didn't do that and screwed up the programming on the phone.

If this does not work I would suggest visiting a corporate store (not just a kiosk) and explaining the problem to them or calling 1-888-233-4813 (tech support) or 1-800-922-0204 (customer service, and ask to be connected to tech support). * FROM A DIFFERENT PHONE * to troubleshoot the phone. They can help you determine if it is defective or not.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Tried to reset the phone by taking the sim out. Left it out for a solid 5 minutes. Rebooted and the signal came right back. No programming happened, so im not sure if it took. But i did get greeted with a black screen for about 30 seconds after unlocking the phone. First time for that. At this point i don't feel comfortable keeping the phone as it is.
Google Music is completely dead now, It wont access my music from the cloud. Granted this is a beta, but never had 1 issue on my OG with gingerbread, wonder why now? Looks like it will need to be reinstalled. Ill be looking into an exchange Sunday. Im gonna live with it tomorrow and see what else happens.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Tried to reset the phone by taking the sim out. Left it out for a solid 5 minutes. Rebooted and the signal came right back. No programming happened, so im not sure if it took. But i did get greeted with a black screen for about 30 seconds after unlocking the phone. First time for that. At this point i don't feel comfortable keeping the phone as it is.
Google Music is completely dead now, It wont access my music from the cloud. Granted this is a beta, but never had 1 issue on my OG with gingerbread, wonder why now? Looks like it will need to be reinstalled. Ill be looking into an exchange Sunday. Im gonna live with it tomorrow and see what else happens.

There is no programming in the sense that you are used to everything happens in the background other than a possible "registering SIM card" when the phone first comes up to the home screen.

Yeah you may indeed have a defective one. :(

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
If the issues are non stop tomorrow i might run to verizon tomorrow and get this taken care of. Really upset i have to bring this phone back, hopefully i wont have any issues with exchanging it. Thanks everyone who tried to help.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If the issues are non stop tomorrow i might run to verizon tomorrow and get this taken care of. Really upset i have to bring this phone back, hopefully i wont have any issues with exchanging it. Thanks everyone who tried to help.

As long as you are within 15 days (which you obviously are) then it should not be a problem as long as you get another of the same phone. Switch models and you would (likely) pay a restock fee.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The screen on mine has a distinct yellow cast to it. Didn't even notice it until I was pulling a backup from my x2. Also compared it to some of my other tech, and the bionic definitely has a very warm screen calibration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nymetsthisyr

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thought i would share this with everyone. Been having some major issues with the Bionic and wanted to see how everyone else has been fairing with the phone.
I am seriously having problems galore here so bare with me. In the first 5 hours of having the phone i am having problems with the following.
LTE will shut down, 3g will popup for a second, then the phone will shutdown all data and i get a triangle blinking in the notification area. Triangle then goes away and no data, nothing, till i reboot, Then it resets and goes back on 4g.
Im having force closes with alot of programs. Golf, Facebook, Google music and the phone app have all forced closed several times. When google music does this it wont stop till i reboot, but its also a beta so ill excuse that.
Phone has rebooted on me randomly like 4 times. Once during the activation!! Ill be just be doing something and suddenly the Bionic symbol pops up. When the phone comes back up any changes i just made are gone, so im assuming the memory was dumped. Really frustrating.

When the phone works right, it really cranks, but these problems are constant and annoying. Definitely not what i paid for.

Any opinions on what is going on? Anyone else having similar issues? Should i take this thing back pronto? Im just really upset over this whole thing and just want this phone to work, I got it to be less of a headache then my rooted Droid 1, But so far thats just not the case.

Thanks for reading...

Edit, Phone shut off on me while posting this. Picked up the phone and it was off. What the !!
3 Random Reboots to Droid eye animation. One complete shutdown which required battery pull. Not digging this at all. Bad enough I'm trying to get over its pentile matrix qHD display. Only major thing I did when I starting noticing the reboots was switch from Verizon's Shell/ Holster case combo to Otterbox Defender Case. Anyone else?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
3 Random Reboots to Droid eye animation. One complete shutdown which required battery pull. Not digging this at all. Bad enough I'm trying to get over its pentile matrix qHD display. Only major thing I did when I starting noticing the reboots was switch from Verizon's Shell/ Holster case combo to Otterbox Defender Case. Anyone else?

No problems technically for mine so far. It started when you changed cases? Is it possible the case is pressing down your power button somehow?

LNJKD

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
When using the favorite contacts app it showed one person but when i went into the info or tried to call or text it showed and used another friend's contact info. I fixed it by re-entering the info for the first person.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a Bionic owner, or even a Verizon user for that matter. But with a little free time I decided to poke around the Bionic forum just to see how this new phone is working out. From what I have read, the issues some users are having sound very much like the Motorola Photon issues us Spring users have had. Myself I had the Photon for three weeks but ended up returning it for the EVO 3D because of random reboots, icons gone missing, not being able to wake the phone up even though it is on (as in pushing the power button and the phone won't wake up even though the notification light is blinking) and a few other quirks. Had my problems even after Moto pushed out an update to fix these issues. Take a look at the Photon forum and you will see many similar problems as the Bionic. And just like the Bionic, the Photon is an amazing phone when it is working right. But, as these two phones are similar in specs and probably parts I am starting to thing Moto has some major hardware issues that any software updates can't fix. Trust me, I am not a Sprint or HTC fanboy. Just noticing the similarities in issues here and it gives food for thought.

Reactions: LordAndroid

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The biggest issue and problem for me with the Bionic is it doesn't seem to allow us to transfer our apps and run them from our SD cards like we can on most of the other Android devices that are using newer OS's.

The Bionic also has the same problem that I had with my Droid X... that of not showing pictures that I have assigned to contacts when I dial them. Their pics show up just fine when they telephone me, but all I get when I dial them is the question mark and bust.

easyrun99

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I had one of the strangest things happen to mine. It was on and sitting on the counter I go to bring the screen on, nothing. Hold down the power button, nothing. It vibrated a couple times but still nothing. I gave it 5 minutes to see of anything would happen and surprise, nothing! I went and pulled the battery and the stupid battery cover feels like I'm going to break it under any kind of force. Pulled, restarted, never happened again. Crazy though!

My phone did this yesterday. On my way home I picked it up to check my email and it was off. I tried repeatedly to power it back on with the power button, but no joy. Pulled the battery and it powered back up. I think it may have shutdown while transitioning from 4g to 3G. My Thunderbolt never handled that transition well.

Until 4g is 100% in my area I'm likely to set the phone to CDMA-only. We'll see if it occurs again.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just had a lockup when trying to touch a handcent notification in the status bar. The status bar locked up and the only thing I could do was reboot to fix it. 2 random reboots and 1 lockup in two days of use isn't looking good...I love it otherwise.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine worked fine from 9:30AM Thursday until 9:30PM Friday night with no issues...then my phone shut down by itself and it would not allow me to start it again. I had to do a battery pull in order to get it to turn back on, and then it told me I wasn't connected to Verizon...it took a few minutes for that to happen. But, from that point on, I had several restarts. I did force google maps to close and I did download several apps before this started. I did the sim card pull that someone recommened and so far the past 6 hours no reboots? I am new to Android (from BB Storm2) and I have a couple questions:
1) Is it possible to change the sensitivty of the screen touch?
2) Why does Google Maps stay on after you close it? It really sucked my extended battery FAST!
3) Is it normal for the phone to take 2-4 minutes to locate 3G or 4G LTE once the phone is turned on?
Thanks you!

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine worked fine from 9:30AM Thursday until 9:30PM Friday night with no issues...then my phone shut down by itself and it would not allow me to start it again. I had to do a battery pull in order to get it to turn back on, and then it told me I wasn't connected to Verizon...it took a few minutes for that to happen. But, from that point on, I had several restarts. I did force google maps to close and I did download several apps before this started. I did the sim card pull that someone recommened and so far the past 6 hours no reboots? I am new to Android (from BB Storm2) and I have a couple questions:
1) Is it possible to change the sensitivty of the screen touch?
2) Why does Google Maps stay on after you close it? It really sucked my extended battery FAST!
3) Is it normal for the phone to take 2-4 minutes to locate 3G or 4G LTE once the phone is turned on?
Thanks you!

So far, Im with cory, I did that sim card removal last night and other then the black screen on reboot have not had an issue yet.

Im not sure there is a sensitivity setting.
Google maps will stay if you hit the home button and not back out of it. If you were in navigation under the menu there is an option to "Exit Navigation".
My phone is a mess, but 100% of the time since activation its picked up the signal immediately upon reboot. Even in times when 4g is not available 3g pops right up. Now i just have to find a way for it to KEEP the signal and not shutdown data again.

tank4gunner

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I am haveing the same problem with the data connection. I have my bionic sitting here next to my wifes Droid X and the x has full signal and 3g where the bionic has no data connection at all. I called Verizon this morning but their system is down so they said they cant help me. I may just take the thing back this afternoon.:mad: