To buy or not to buy... That is the question.

PRNmeds

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I had been waiting and waiting for the HTC Thunderbolt to release, but with all the delays, I ended up ordering an iPhone 4. I have now seen the error in my ways! Well, realistically, the iPhone 4 is a sharp device, but there are simply things about my Droid that I miss, and do not want to live any longer without. The iPhone 4's keyboard blows. I'm not sure if I have fat fingers or what. I haven't found a way to customize my dictionary, or add words, because I am constantly being "auto corrected" on words that I had typed the way I wanted them, into words I did NOT want. (for example, my girlfriend cannot type the word "as" it always corrects it to "a's". It doesnt make any sense!) If I turn off auto correct, then I'm really screwed, because the keyboard is trash. I miss the swype keyboard a ton. I could fly on that piece! The 2nd main thing I am missing is the google navigation system. I've downloaded several different nav systems from the apple market, and they all suck compared to google nav.

Sacrafices I will be making: Pretty much just losing the iPod accessory. This IMO is the best music manager available for any smartphone. Also, the iPhone's camera is just really quick. Photos feel they're taken instantly, I remember the old droid always lagged with the shutter.

Here's my problem: I've had my eye on the releasing Droid Bionic for a long time. I decided this was the phone I was going to wait for, to trade out my iPhone 4. When they announced the date (9/8). I put my iPhone on the ebay market for sale. My phone recently sold today, for a little more money than it will cost for me to upgrade to a Droid Bionic.

The problem: From everyones reviews, the DB is one large, over-hyped P.O.S. This is the real problem I've had with the android selection. With so many companies providing so many different products "just around the corner" it's impossible for a consumer to feel good about their purchase. If you know that your 300 dollar purchase, and 2 year committment is just going to be outshone by some other product in 2 months time, you are going to feel bad about spending your money. This has to stop somewhere, otherwise you'd never have a new phone. This was the main reason I went to the iPhone in the first place. One device, every year or so, standard, that works seemingly well.

I've now sold my iPhone, and am very dissapointed in what I've heard about the DB. Horrible screen quality compared to other lesser devices. Visible pixelation, constant high pitched noises in the headphones that people are trying to drown out by turning the volume up. Slow shutter speeds on the camera. I am already regretting purchasing this phone, that I haven't even seen in person. I of course will go hold one before making any purchase. With that being said, what are my options? I feel buying anything besides the DB would be taking a step backwards, (not getting a qual core). But buying one will also be unsatisfying.

Thoughts? Opinons? Snide Remarks?

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
You know what your phone options are currently and You know what's waiting around the corner. Do You need someone else to make up your mind? If yes then as a bionic owner I would tell you its a good phone but you should probably decide what's most important to You in a phone, speed, battery life, screen? You have to set your priorities and choose accordingly. Im highly considering returning the phone. My only problem is the samsung prime may not have very good battery life, same goes for the vigor. So its always choices, that's what android gives you that apple doesn't. Since we all love android, we Have the horrible task of staking out one awesome phone in a crowd of awesome phones.

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I spent about 2 hours in the Verizon store yesterday. Nothing compelled me to buy the Bionic. I kept comparing my Thunderbolt to it and it just had nothing in it for me. I would buy a TB used off Ebay for $300 and wait for the new HTC device

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
the screen is eh. i can see why so many people hate it. it's not the best quality, but it's not trash either.

the headphone thing may be overblown, or maybe just particular to a few sets. i was at 2 parties last night and i had my phone plugged in through the headphone jack and played music. didn't hear any hissing or whatever at all (although i did hear some interference when i was in my car and played it through the headphone jack there). it may also be location specific.

the only thing that bothers me is battery life, but i think comparing it with other 4g phones, it's as good or better in that department.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
True. I mean if your not excited or looking forward to a phone don't get it. I have done it before and I felt as if I was forcing myself to like the phone. If you can get a phone online somewhere and use it until the second wave of phones like the prime or others then that would be a plan. Good luck to you and your choice :)

SANhacker

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
With all the problems being reported here and on other forums, I'll wait a couple of months to upgrade. Not saying I won't buy the Bionic, but at least I will be able to compare to everything available for the holidays.

No, I'm not waiting for the next latest and greatest phone in 2012.