Bionic Ownership = Bittersweet... more bitter than sweet.

asianguy335

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Those of you giddy about awesome battery life, 'beautiful' screens, and super snappy bugless programming are one fortunate or very lucky bunch.

to say that owning a bionic has been a less than pleasant experience would be an insult to understatement.

now did i think upon my first impressions holding the device that it was a beautiful snappy performing device albeit with an honestly lousy screen? absolutely.

in fact i never was of the pentile hating group. i legitimately believed that those jokers were all exaggerating the way audiophiles think anything other than FLACC isn't worthy of gracing their delicate eardrums. hell i even remember seeing my friend's charge and thinking, "that's the samoled? that's what people have been creaming themselves for?" and then holding it side by side to my OG and actually having more respect for the old beaten up warrior for remaining so relevant 2 years after it's release. but to be brutally honest, those of you that don't notice the honeycombclusterf*ck AT ALL need to get your eyes checked. like right now. because speaking as someone who works in the medical field i think you may be developing glaucoma.

now i don't hold my phone up to my nose but even without my contacts i'd be annoyed by those pixely-to-**** call photos, any and all shades of yellow or green that have been butchered to hell, etc etc. i mean i can understand some of you that notice it but don't mind it, but you can't honestly tell me you can't see that big f*cking chain link fence in front of the screen. and yet sometimes it can look very vibrant and impressive. like in pitch black darkness. and while it's no slouch outdoors i can't for the life of me believe they'd market this display as an impressive notch on the spec sheet of a 2011 flagship device.

oh that's right they never really did market the bionic did they.

screen aside, at least the thing still looked very beautiful and felt great in the hand and yeah it certainly was snappy! that is of course until i started noticing that i was literally unable to make calls for about 3 hours, after which my phone was finally activated. that is just absurd. i guess it's too much to ask that the one feature that really would appear to be important in a new phone is the least reliable. and i say that not simply because of the activation delay but has anyone else realized how low the call volume is? maybe i'm just deaf, but ive never had this issue with ol OG'. maxed out sounds like nearly a whisper when you're walking down a busy street with cars and people providing their own soundtrack and i could hardly judge call quality based on what i can't even hear.

well at least motoblur looks pretty. hell yeah it does. when it's not randomly rebooting the phone. or when it's not constantly yelling at me for having insufficient free space to install a 40mb app. nothing of course more gutting than realizing that in the day of dual core, 1gig ram phones, mother-effing redraw still exists. maybe it has something to do with that 35% cpu usage that absolutely murders my supposedly awesome battery.

yeah and as for it at least being pretty and light to hold? well i'll be honest nevermind the aesthetics i was simply jazzed to know that no longer would i have to worry about my battery door falling off everytime i took the phone outa my pocket. oh that's right, moto's not going to let me forget that one, they mustve known how much i'd miss that so they decided to make that battery door so nice and snug and just ensure that it doesn't sit flush on one side so that i get to enjoy that nice sharp edge of metal that i've been missing with this new sleek design. thanks moto! your sentimental sense of nostalgia and design sensibilities have done it again as i am as speechless as the day the verizon guy told me, "a new phone isn't going to fix that battery door, they all come like that." not that that left power button just didn't thrown me over the moon and back again.

Anyway i've written far too much already (and there's already another post detailing my battery woes) but seeing as i was such a champion for the damn thing after initially only seeing the light of the gs2, it really makes this all the more soul crushing; 3 upgrades left be damned.

Now for the joy of unrooting and attempting to return the phone to stock so i can try to convince verizon that their half baked, under marketed, flagship phone is about to cause me to stroke out if i don't get a quick replacement.

oh by the way, before i forget, for those of you that hope this phone to be your one-stop multimedia end all be all, i'm happy to report that motorola has even included the sound of popcorn to accompany your video/music whenever your headphones are plugged in. talk about an immersive theater experience.

Sigh...

seeing as lots of ppl love and have no issues with their phones and many of us have gotten what appears to be buggy hunks of low-res glossy plastic, this is clearly inconsistent product quality control at it's worst.

OBVIOUSLY, those holding out for prime know something we don't...

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Breath...it'll be ok

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
lol. I hate to be brutally honest....but I stopped reading when I saw this:

but to be brutally honest, those of you that don't notice the honeycombclusterf*ck AT ALL need to get your eyes checked. like right now. because speaking as someone who works in the medical field i think you may be developing glaucoma.

What you see, they may not see. What someone else doesnt see, you may see. Why cant ppl understand this, on both sides of this argument? Like how 3D effects some ppl in a real negative way, while it doesnt effect some others at all.

Everybody's not the same.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
And here's the silver lining to all this... You are well within the time limit to take it back. Go exchange it for a Charge or another device with a screen that will make you happy. ;)

TeeSquar

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
So far I love it. Of course, coming from a lowly Eris probably has something to do with it.

Very responsive, colors look great ... even the yellows and greens, grouped my apps so I don't notice the bloat. Holding off on root until an SBF is available.

Take it back.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
And here's the silver lining to all this... You are well within the time limit to take it back. Go exchange it for a Charge or another device with a screen that will make you happy. ;)

Sounds like he's a little more disappointed with it than just the screen.

There seems to be alot of negatives about the phone for some. Others I'm guessing are just fanboys.

But I agree, a 2011 flagship device it should never be compared to a 2 year old original.

How do you go backwards? How does such a maker not compare these things ot how do they miss them???

If I had all of the og posters issues id be pissed myself. Waiting all year for Verizon to put out a flagship and then it sinks.

Well I hope I can live with my decision tomorrow ill find out.

At least theres hope for the prime future

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow! You should have put "Rant" somewhere in your Topic Title. You are obviously upset and I appreciate you sharing with us but you should take some time away and go ride a bike or something. Make sure you don;t write to many of these before you go down to your local VZW and return your Bionic.

Personally mine is running great and I love it so far. Very glad I upgraded!

Taz

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm coming from the fascinate, The screen on the bionic has finer lines on the screen but the colors or blacks aren't as vibrant. But I really like the phone and it is very fast, moto blur is a refreshing change from touch wiz. I haven't had any of the issues that were posted. The signal strength and call quality are superb to most of the other phones I've had. I don't know what people expect but as a phone it is great and for my business it does what I need.

Just my two cents: :)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like he's a little more disappointed with it than just the screen.

There seems to be alot of negatives about the phone for some. Others I'm guessing are just fanboys.

But I agree, a 2011 flagship device it should never be compared to a 2 year old original.

How do you go backwards? How does such a maker not compare these things ot how do they miss them???

If I had all of the og posters issues id be pissed myself. Waiting all year for Verizon to put out a flagship and then it sinks.

Well I hope I can live with my decision tomorrow ill find out.

At least theres hope for the prime future

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I have to disagree with so much about this post. Why would you guess people are fanboys just because they aren't having prodlems with their phones? I'm not guessing people are haters just because they are having problems. Everyone had their own expectations for the phones. If they feel these expectations have been met or exceeded, that doesn't make them fanboys.
A lot of people are coming from the OG Droid to the Bionic. For many(including myself) the OG is the only smartphone we've ever used. So of course we're going to compare the 2. And in my opinion, the Bionic compares very very favorably, I feel like I'm way beyond were I was a few days ago and the Bionic is far beyond the OG.
The OP is upset, and maybe he has a right, but we don't know how many of his problems are from being rooted and whatever he did after he was rooted. You can't blame Verizon for that.

Reactions: jroc

randyd8511

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Poor guy has more problems than with just a phone....

I have spent the last few hours getting used to the change over from a BB Storm ll. What a change!

Have lots of questions that i'm sure are answered here or in owners manual...

mapexonly

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Wow! You should have put "Rant" somewhere in your Topic Title. You are obviously upset and I appreciate you sharing with us but you should take some time away and go ride a bike or something. Make sure you don;t write to many of these before you go down to your local VZW and return your Bionic.

Personally mine is running great and I love it so far. Very glad I upgraded!
I never thought I'd say this but since Verizon just shipped mine last night which I ordered on the 7th for overnight fed ex which got sent priority 2 day postal service instead and after reading about all the problems I will probably refuse the package and wait on something else. I appreciate the rant because I actually got to see what's wrong g with it. I played with one at Verizon and the screen does look horrible the market app was the most noticeable since its green I guess but my og screen blows that away. Ive been the die hard bionic fan for around a year now from Etna to targa I've been there preaching its awesomeness. I hate Samsung and I hate HTC ... what am I going to do now Droid HD? If that ever happens or when it does... its pretty much the same thing but thinner with a better screen... maybe a better screen... this whole situation sucks ... anyone have any advice on what I should do at this point?

tmc896

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
dude i think maybe you have a defective handset take it back get a replacement and see if you still feel the same ive had none of those issues i love it and ive had every android phone verizon has come out with and this one by far is the best it is no samsung screen but none of them are unless theyre a sammy but the consistency of 3g/4g with no data drops all day long like the charge is enough for me to say thankyou moto i never had those issues on my dx and im glad not to have them again.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I never thought I'd say this but since Verizon just shipped mine last night which I ordered on the 7th for overnight fed ex which got sent priority 2 day postal service instead and after reading about all the problems I will probably refuse the package and wait on something else. I appreciate the rant because I actually got to see what's wrong g with it. I played with one at Verizon and the screen does look horrible the market app was the most noticeable since its green I guess but my og screen blows that away. Ive been the die hard bionic fan for around a year now from Etna to targa I've been there preaching its awesomeness. I hate Samsung and I hate HTC ... what am I going to do now Droid HD? If that ever happens or when it does... its pretty much the same thing but thinner with a better screen... maybe a better screen... this whole situation sucks ... anyone have any advice on what I should do at this point?

Yeah, receive the package and use the phone yourself. You're going go have to pay a restocking fee either way, I bet. Might as well take advantage of it. I didn't read the Ops post, but it seems like a lot if people were expecting the second coming with this phone. The only flaw is one that we've known from the beginning - the screen. Which is still opinion. I think some people just had incredibly unrealistic hopes for the phone. Just goes to show, if you go looking for flaws you're gonna find them and you will never get passed them with a bad attitude. Every phone has flaws.

Coming from a Samsung fanboy, I love the device. GPS actually works and I always have strong signal. Something my Fascinate never gets. As far as waiting, the Prime is probably your best bet, but you'll be waiting until late Nov/early Dec. When Google finally releases ICS it should take about a month to get the phone out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reactions: jroc

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
My question is has anyone ever thought of the notion that the first batch doesn't always come 100% perfect?(you are kidding yourself if you thought they would all come perfect from the factory) That is part of getting the first run in a phone is you run the risk of getting a bad unit. I might just be lucky but I have not had any issues with my bionic yet (knocked on my wood table). And as for the screen, the OP should know being "in the medical profession" that not all people see alike and process things visually very differently from one person to another. What one person may complain about another may not notice and just because you may notice it and want to rant doesn't give you right to call everyone else blind (or in your particular case in early stages of glaucoma). Yeah you have your right to complain until you are blue in the face, but not to knock other people for what your eyes percieve and others do not.

Reactions: jroc and SonicJoe

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The op should get another phone. There are plenty to pick from. I absolutely love the bionic, have no problems with it and would recommend it to anyone.

Dirk Giggler

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
As an OG Droid owner, I know your pain asainguy. I think different people expect different things from a phone and that is why the complaints are so various...not necessarily because of build quality consistency or quality control issues.

Some people are down on the camera, others hate the pentile. For me personally, I'm ready to take this phone back because of a high pitched whine coming from the headphone jack. I have a nice DSLR camera with expensive lenses for when I want a nice photo. I accept the pentile quality because of the improve battery life. For me, the batteries really do last forever on wifi.

Upon using and immediately hating MOTOBLUR, I switched to launcherpro and it really makes the phone close to perfect. I can even hide all the bloat apps in the app drawer. I suggest you try an alternative launcher. It may change the way you feel about this phone.

dhp106

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep love my phone too, coming from the charge. I dont have the problems OP has. My charge is going on craigslist as i speak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781