Screen temperature

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the bionic has a very warm (read: yellow) screen temperature when compared with previous moto devices like the X and X2. If you don't have either of those you probably haven't noticed, but I noticed because I was pulling some stuff off my X2 and noticed the big difference. The X2, meanwhile, is almost overly cool, with borderline blue whites. I threw in a picture with the two motorolas and an iPod touch for comparison, and the Bionic is even warmer than the already warm Touch. It's not a huge deal, but its definitely a little jarring. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
My screen gets a little "warmer" when I dim it down. I think that is why you are seeing the difference between these shots.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My screen gets a little "warmer" when I dim it down. I think that is why you are seeing the difference between these shots.

All of the screens in that picture were set at maximum brightness. The difference is the screen temp, and isn't caused by the brightness.

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am willing to bet they tried to further optimize the screen and found that going warmer may alleviate some of the 'challenges' of rgbw pentile. Pure uneducated guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I am willing to bet they tried to further optimize the screen and found that going warmer may alleviate some of the 'challenges' of rgbw pentile. Pure uneducated guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Funny part is that it makes it hugely WORSE when compared to the X2. Of all the things I thought would bother me, I never thought it would be the temperature of the screen. I can deal with the Pentile since I had a few Samsungs with it, and I can deal with the shimmering effect, but the temp just bothers me. Yellow is not a pleasing color to stare at when you're using a phone...

(and yes, this is making me consider returning it and waiting for the Vigor, even though I swore I wouldn't)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Anyone think that, if I can show that my screen is a lot more yellow than the display, that they'll swap it out? I've also contacted Moto to see what they say.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone think that, if I can show that my screen is a lot more yellow than the display, that they'll swap it out? I've also contacted Moto to see what they say.

They should swap it out for you. My OG Droid is "cooler" than my Bionic, but my Bionic looks very accurate and not really "Warm". It does not look anywhere near as "warm" as yours does.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
They should swap it out for you. My OG Droid is "cooler" than my Bionic, but my Bionic looks very accurate and not really "Warm". It does not look anywhere near as "warm" as yours does.

That's what I've been seeing posted. I got a response from moto support, and they gave me a laundry list of things to try (including increasing brightness. For real?), as well as saying that it isn't a known issue. They also said that if none of the tips work, to take it back and exchange it.

Once I get some time to go to a verizon store to compare and probably get it swapped out, I will. After having this phone, I like it too much to just ditch it over this.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
well, my phone went from white to eggshell so I'm probably gonna be taking it back too

It's just so odd. One thing they suggested was to do a factory reset because any carried over settings from a restore may have borked the software. But it's odd because the part of the software that controls the screen temp shouldn't be affected by anything having to do with system settings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech