Duplicating Contacts

beracing

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Still being new to Droid, my Bionic is duplicating my contacts terribly!! Each account, I have more than one email, FB, Tango, etc, it's adding contacts to my list, duplicating entries which may be on more than one of my services.

How can I get this to stop??? I tried to delete some, but when it syncs again, it just adds them back! Is it something Moto or Google is doing creating this? Is there a setting I should be looking at?

HELP!!!

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Still being new to Droid, my Bionic is duplicating my contacts terribly!! Each account, I have more than one email, FB, Tango, etc, it's adding contacts to my list, duplicating entries which may be on more than one of my services.

How can I get this to stop??? I tried to delete some, but when it syncs again, it just adds them back! Is it something Moto or Google is doing creating this? Is there a setting I should be looking at?

HELP!!!

Open the contact in edit and select join from the menu and you can merge the contacts together. The other option is to go into accounts, select each account, and uncheck contacts sync.

suchashorttime

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
it happens because android automatically syncs your contacts with your google account, but verizon throws in backup assist which will do the same thing, just on verizon's end. in the "my accounts" section, just check which accounts you have syncing contacts.

beracing

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
it happens because android automatically syncs your contacts with your google account, but verizon throws in backup assist which will do the same thing, just on verizon's end. in the "my accounts" section, just check which accounts you have syncing contacts.

I don't see where or how to do what you are saying. I would choose to sync only to my Google account... The options button only gives me "Add Account" option....

I was able to look at the Google account which gave me options to sync various things, but the other added accounts did not... just the setup info.

beracing

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Open the contact in edit and select join from the menu and you can merge the contacts together. The other option is to go into accounts, select each account, and uncheck contacts sync.

I don't see the join function.... I tried to configure the individual accounts, but only was able to uncheck contacts on Google account and one other. My other local email, yahoo, FB accounts, it would not give me the options to select or choose my sync settings... :mad:

suchashorttime

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't see where or how to do what you are saying. I would choose to sync only to my Google account... The options button only gives me "Add Account" option....

I was able to look at the Google account which gave me options to sync various things, but the other added accounts did not... just the setup info.

Did you run Backup Assist when you first booted your phone?

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue going from my blackberry to this phone but what you have to do is go to the primary contact, hit your option button (thats what I call the 4 square button on the bottom left), edit contact, option button again and join in the bottom right side. Then it will ask you which contact to join to and it should be the dupliate one. If it does not show you may have to scroll down to the specific contact. Once you have the contacts merged just hit save and it will combine the contacts.

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

You should have been asked during setup.. perhaps you can re-run setup.

I disabled (kept unchecked) Google account for storing these things...

beracing

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you run Backup Assist when you first booted your phone?

The Verizon store moved my contacts from my BB to my Bionic. I then began setting up my various accounts under "My Accounts".

I've found the "join" function, and I've again tried to delete contacts, but they just keep showing back up.

I did find where I could un-check contacts sync option for my Google and Yahoo accounts. I think my Tango also. But my local account, FB, and one more I cannot. It doesn't even give me that option.

beracing

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue going from my blackberry to this phone but what you have to do is go to the primary contact, hit your option button (thats what I call the 4 square button on the bottom left), edit contact, option button again and join in the bottom right side. Then it will ask you which contact to join to and it should be the dupliate one. If it does not show you may have to scroll down to the specific contact. Once you have the contacts merged just hit save and it will combine the contacts.

I've tried that, but that even doesn't seem to work. On some contacts, the contacts business info (company, etc) shows anywhere from 2 - 8 or 10 times... Not sure what that is all about either!

beracing

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Trail.... How do know which one is the primary contact? Is it always the first one listed?

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I usually use the one with the most info already and merge the smaller ones to it. Everything ends up together anyway so its really just preference

beracing

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I've only had partial success with my contacts. I've been able to join a few, but others it will not let me, and I keep getting an error message saying it encountered an error and could not join. When that happens the phone seems to be bogging down, and gets real slow. A couple times I had to force close it...

Any other thoughts???

zmaerdstyle

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm experiencing the duplicated contacts issue too. VZW rep copied the contacts over from my BB. Originally, everything was fine until I started to use the phone and load apps and e-mail accounts. Then it started... I was able to use the Display feature (at first) to fix this problem. I have it set to only show contacts from my Google account. Now it has doubled all of my contacts and within the contacts it has continued to duplicate Notes and other info within each contact. Almost like it has duplicated the item every time it has tried to Sync. This is driving me insane!

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing this exact same issue... many of my contacts are duplicated.

But that's not the worst of it... most of the duplicated contacts have section of the contact record (looks like Domino standing next to an inverted letter U, but is probably supposed to be something business-related) which is listed literally 50 or more times on the same contact record. Yikes.

The contact manager app seems to be choking on the sheer volume of data contained within 100 or less primary contact records.

Anyone have suggestions?

Anyone who has same issue found a work around?

Thanks in advance!

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
This is an ongoing issue with Vz's My Verizon and Androids. The only solution is to go to My Verizon account, DELETE ALL THE CONTACT INFO THERE (don't panic - it's the Gmail contact list you want to keep and that's backed up). This should eliminate the duplications, old info, deleted conctacts, etc.

You have to check the My Verizon account from time to time to make sure it isn't still accumulating contact information. The best thing is to NOT activate the My Verizon account/backup feature. Causes nothing but problems unless you are using it as your main contact point.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and PS -

You will probably have to spend time (after you get rid of the Vz contact list) cleaning up your Bionic's contact list. It's best to do it on a computer in the Gmail program. First of all, it's faster, and also you can see better what needs to be done.

Reactions: shouldbmtnbikn

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995