12-22-2013 06:40 AM
60 123
tools
    I got the bionic on launch day, but the 3g/4g drop out just started happening to me this morning.

I loaded Juice Defender on my phone over the weekend.

Could this be the cause or just a coincidence? I don't want to disable Juice Defender because my battery life is SO great today, but guess I'll have to try a little experiment to see...
    09-19-2011 04:43 PM
    I have this problem now as well. It didn't start until after I installed Juice Defender. I uninstalled and the problem went away, reinstalled and it came back. I am going to uninstall and wait to see what happens.
    10-02-2011 11:45 AM
    I do not have this issue and don't have the above mentioned juice defender. Must be lucky but I have a day one/first bionic for my city and have yet to have any of these issues/dropouts that people are having. Part of it to me is people looking for something to complain about and others having a legitimate omfgwtfbbq issue. If its more than just one type of phone having the issue it has to be the network. Yeah an aircard or mifi might be fine but i bet you its a different antenna/chip than what the phones use.
    10-02-2011 12:32 PM
    Any solutions found for this? I have been having this issue for a couple weeks now and it drives me nuts. It is by far the worst at work where reception is touchy to begin with. It will go hours and hours without any data coverage at all. It happens often at home too. I love the phone but am considering taking it back just because of this.
    10-07-2011 11:03 AM
    When ever you start feeling like you have a bad device, just take a peek at the other forums and you'll quickly realize that other devices have similar issues and none of them are immune. It's really the best troubleshooting technique you have available to see if the problem is just your device or something bigger like network or OS. I have a Samsung Charge and I've noticed switching as well. Occasionally I also have issues reconnecting data to the VZW network after it's been on Wi-Fi at my home over night. It's random so I don't know why. All in all, I know that this phone has it's issues just like yours and all the rest. I get frustrated sometimes but still amazed at the things they do right for us. I am however looking forward to the possibility of a crapware free all Google Nexus on ICS. That may be sweet to pass up Pun definitely intended
    qnet likes this.
    10-07-2011 03:03 PM
    3g/4g issues in columbus Ohio happening right now. My bionic flips to 3g for a second then drops. No 4g at all. At least the BW3 I'm in has wifi (and the beer is cold).
    10-07-2011 04:06 PM
    When ever you start feeling like you have a bad device, just take a peek at the other forums and you'll quickly realize that other devices have similar issues and none of them are immune. It's really the best troubleshooting technique you have available to see if the problem is just your device or something bigger like network or OS. I have a Samsung Charge and I've noticed switching as well. Occasionally I also have issues reconnecting data to the VZW network after it's been on Wi-Fi at my home over night. It's random so I don't know why. All in all, I know that this phone has it's issues just like yours and all the rest. I get frustrated sometimes but still amazed at the things they do right for us. I am however looking forward to the possibility of a crapware free all Google Nexus on ICS. That may be sweet to pass up Pun definitely intended
    Thing is though, that I had a charge prior to this and while it had tons of issues, this wasn't one.
    10-09-2011 09:51 AM
    This doesn't happen on Hotspots/aircards, so how can it be the network?

Perhaps all the phones are using the same 4G radio and there's a massive issue when switching 3G/4G ?

who knows.. all I know is I dont see this disconnection on aircards/hotspots standing in the same spot as my phone.
    A Verizon network engineer told me this data connectivity problem is fairly common on the aircards and hotspots. Not all, of course, so don't put too much stock in the fact that yours does not have this problem. So with the problem being attested on all of the 4G phones and aircards/hotspots, the new network technology is obviously implicated. It's not an either/or question as if the problem is only a phone problem or only a network problem. It's both. I've had 4 official ROMs on my ThunderBolt and you can see some evolution in how the phone tries to deal with this problem, but the problem still persists. And it is not just a 4G LTE issue but also the eHRPD 3G technology that is being rolled out to handle 4G/3G transitions. Since May, Verizon has agreed to my paying 1/2 price on my data charges until they resolve the problem.
    10-09-2011 10:13 AM
    to the OP, it is a known known with the Bionic, or even having full signal strength with no data, or you have data but can't do anything with it.
    Same issue here. Try and disable all network connections/airplane mode/ and then restart them again. There's a fix due out next month to fix that and to fix visual voice mail locking up the phone or rebooting the phone.
    10-10-2011 08:23 AM
    I've had the issue but, not as bad as some of you. My main issue is with it switching to 3G at my home but, I never have a good signal at home anyway. The phone works very well, as far as reception & phone calls, even with one bar, which is usually what I have in my house. When I'm out in the city 4G LTE is in full bloom, which is when I really need it.

Making and receiving calls is the most important thing to me. This phone is fun to play with but, I use it for my business and, need it to work, as is does very well.

Every smart phone I've had, has had some issues. Hopefully the OTA wil fix this.
    10-10-2011 09:21 AM
    Ive got the issue right now, and Im only in a 3g area, no 4g. I do have the sim card installed as well. I dont even have a 1x signal. I just have white bars. And I cant even make a phone call. Ive power cycled, battery pulled, cycled through airplane mode and what not with nothing that seems to work. Any ideas?
    10-10-2011 12:32 PM
    Ive got the issue right now, and Im only in a 3g area, no 4g. I do have the sim card installed as well. I dont even have a 1x signal. I just have white bars. And I cant even make a phone call. Ive power cycled, battery pulled, cycled through airplane mode and what not with nothing that seems to work. Any ideas?
    The same was happening to me last Friday. I disabled Juice Defender and everything has been working perfectly.

Could that be the one thing in common for everyone who has network issues?

Is anyone else using Juice Defender? If so, disable it and see if your network connectivity improves.
    10-10-2011 01:21 PM
    I dont have juice defender.
    10-10-2011 01:39 PM
    i uninstalled juice defender and the drop out happen less and less often
    10-10-2011 04:18 PM
    I had the issue. Started slow from my home area which is 3G. Went to Minneapolis, got 4G. Flew to Atlanta and Savannah, all 4G. Started getting where 4G would drop. 4-5 times a day. Got back to home 3G area and it wouldnt connect data at all. Battery pulls wouldnt work even. Verizon had me do HARD RESET. Did that 5 days ago. NO problems since then.
    10-11-2011 09:15 PM
    I've had two bionics now and I noticed a difference in 4g from both of them. With my first one, I had constant 4g signal and almost never lost connectivity.

With my new one, I would get low 4g signal. Also, at work I would get 4g signal with my first one. Now my second one never gets 4g signal there at all unless I toggle the airplane mode. And even then, the 4g wouldn't last long and eventually switch back to 3g. I'm desperately hoping this will be fixed in the update. But it seems that this issue is not consistent with all bionics.
    10-12-2011 12:46 AM
    A Verizon network engineer told me this data connectivity problem is fairly common on the aircards and hotspots. Not all, of course, so don't put too much stock in the fact that yours does not have this problem. So with the problem being attested on all of the 4G phones and aircards/hotspots, the new network technology is obviously implicated. It's not an either/or question as if the problem is only a phone problem or only a network problem. It's both. I've had 4 official ROMs on my ThunderBolt and you can see some evolution in how the phone tries to deal with this problem, but the problem still persists. And it is not just a 4G LTE issue but also the eHRPD 3G technology that is being rolled out to handle 4G/3G transitions. Since May, Verizon has agreed to my paying 1/2 price on my data charges until they resolve the problem.
    I need to get in on this action. Mine just did it 10 minutes ago for the first time where it dropped 3G. Restart brought it back but if it truely is attributed to the network and I have this to look forward to until they get something out there to remedy this issue then I too would not like to have to pay full price for something they have to fix.
    10-12-2011 10:22 AM
    I had the same problem. I called Verizon and they told me to turn my phone off and then turn it on again. The problem was fixed..and I felt dumb for calling! At least I know now!
    10-12-2011 11:11 PM
    Putting ur device on airplane mode then taking it off, should fix it. Or download an app that is called restart connections. It does what it says. If it still doesn't work. On the thunderbolt there is a widget to turn on and off the data connection. Try that. Or go to settings, wireless networks, unchecked mobile network, wait 2 seconds, check it back on. These are quick solutions. But if they don't work. Just restart the device or remove battery.
    10-13-2011 07:53 AM
    I just 'upgraded' to the Bionic... Had the Moto android 2, rarely was dropped by Verizon network. Now I'm lucky to have any internet conection, as 4g is not availible in my area yet and this phone doesn't seem to like 3g, don't know about 4g yet. Housemate has a Moto Android X and never has network problems (I'm using that phone to key this in). I'm taking it back, it's not the network, it's the device as far as I'm concerned. If it were the network then 3g phones would have the same problem, they're not, at least in my area of NH. And the new Razr's battery can't be replaced just like the iPhone, so that's out as well.
    12-02-2011 12:48 PM
    I have also recently updated to the Droid Bionic, and have been experiencing nothing but problems with 4G/3G.

That's wonderful that toggling the airplane mode on or off allows for a band-aid solution, but it's not very elegant, and doesn't fit well with what a smart phone should do

I certainly hope that a solution of sorts will get rolled out in a software update.
    12-06-2011 12:45 AM
    I have also recently updated to the Droid Bionic, and have been experiencing nothing but problems with 4G/3G.

That's wonderful that toggling the airplane mode on or off allows for a band-aid solution, but it's not very elegant, and doesn't fit well with what a smart phone should do

I certainly hope that a solution of sorts will get rolled out in a software update.
    I travel for business and have found when I'm in my home area, Boise, I don't have issues with dropping data. I had the phone on 4g and no issues. I switched the past week to 3g to save battery and no data drops. I turn 4g on when I need it. Most places I travel to I don't have data drops but have hit an area in Eastern WI where I have lost 3g for a couple of hours. I"m wondering if the drops have more to do with issues in the network in certain areas not working well with the Bionic?
    12-06-2011 08:52 PM
    I don't live in a 4G area, but I have had my 3G drop out multiple times. Very annoying. Sometimes airplane mode doesn't fix it. Have to reboot the phone.

Located in the Washington state, PNW

Love the bionic though. Screen isn't as vivid as my old DInc. But it's nice
    12-06-2011 11:24 PM
    My Samsung Stratosphere has similar issues.
    12-08-2011 04:59 AM
    Restart Connections app works about 90% of the time for me on the Bionic. Reboot works for me for the other 10%.
    12-08-2011 10:35 AM
60 123