application space vs internal storage

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
All - what's the difference between application space (I have only 3.5gb) and internal storage (8 gb)? What goes to internal storage? 3.5gb doesn't seem like a lot of space left for apps. :(

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what you put in your internal storage(lol). You have an option to choose what to put your media files in such as music, videos, and pictures in your internal or external storage. 3.5G of application storage is plenty. Considering the highest app storage is at 15 megabytes. 1g = 1024 megs ? 3.5

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Damn! What games you downloading? Lol but like angry birds is like 19mbs. If they are a gig then you also can transfer it to your sd card. But there IS a bug that removes it when you restart the phone. Coming from personal experience and from the threads.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The only app I've seen that has come even remotely close to 1GB is Dungeon Defenders.. it downloads like 650MB worth of data.

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
iBirds Pro in about 500mb and it won't work right now because of this bug.
The bug effects both SD card and the media storage it seems. There is no option in the application management to transfer programs to the SD card anymore, only "media storage" which is still part of the internal 16gb. Unfortunately, it seems the programs are looking for it on the SD card or something. Anyway, lots of problems with this, but I am sure (don't let me down Moto!) that they will be fixing this bug fairly soon.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
to bad its not a bug so moto has nothing to fix. 3.5 gb is plenty of room. like stated countless times the app devolpers need to modify apps for the differnt storage options. some apps have it some dont.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Damn! What games you downloading? Lol but like angry birds is like 19mbs. If they are a gig then you also can transfer it to your sd card. But there IS a bug that removes it when you restart the phone. Coming from personal experience and from the threads.

The only app I've seen that has come even remotely close to 1GB is Dungeon Defenders.. it downloads like 650MB worth of data.

SuperWhy (for my son)
Docs to Go

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
iBirds Pro in about 500mb and it won't work right now because of this bug.
The bug effects both SD card and the media storage it seems. There is no option in the application management to transfer programs to the SD card anymore, only "media storage" which is still part of the internal 16gb. Unfortunately, it seems the programs are looking for it on the SD card or something. Anyway, lots of problems with this, but I am sure (don't let me down Moto!) that they will be fixing this bug fairly soon.

It isn't a bug. Android doesn't know how to handle multiple partitions, so it's googles fault, not motorolas. Considering how long it took google to add moving apps to sd, it's going to be a while before they figure this one out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: moosc

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
It isn't a bug. Android doesn't know how to handle multiple partitions, so it's googles fault, not motorolas. Considering how long it took google to add moving apps to sd, it's going to be a while before they figure this one out.

I will have to disagree with that.
Motorola made a phone (an Android phone) with a unique design that is not compatible with many existing apps and how they store data. The phone itself does not even properly transfer apps to the "media" area on its on internal memory. The apps moved there randomly disappear. This is definitely a Motorola problem and I doubt it will take them a lengthy time to fix it.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
to bad its not a bug so moto has nothing to fix. 3.5 gb is plenty of room. like stated countless times the app devolpers need to modify apps for the differnt storage options. some apps have it some dont.

Just because you repeat the same thing over and over again doesn't mean you are correct. That is simply your opinion. Clearly a number of us disagree with you.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I will have to disagree with that.
Motorola made a phone (an Android phone) with a unique design that is not compatible with many existing apps and how they store data. The phone itself does not even properly transfer apps to the "media" area on its on internal memory. The apps moved there randomly disappear. This is definitely a Motorola problem and I doubt it will take them a lengthy time to fix it.

The apps disappearing is a bug. How android is handling the internal partition is not. Other phones have similar issues with their internal memory, and guess what, android is the problem, not the handset itself. I experienced an identical issue with a g2x and guess what, that's stock android.

Android, for whatever reason, cannot handle it when there is internal memory coupled with a microsd, without modifications in the form of a skin or ui overlay.

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The apps disappearing is a bug. How android is handling the internal partition is not. Other phones have similar issues with their internal memory, and guess what, android is the problem, not the handset itself. I experienced an identical issue with a g2x and guess what, that's stock android.

Android, for whatever reason, cannot handle it when there is internal memory coupled with a microsd, without modifications in the form of a skin or ui overlay.

I think we just have differing interpretations of what a "bug" is.
You are saying that it is a problem with the Android software not properly handling Motorola's hardware. To me, that is a bug. I am not blaming the hardware, but I am blaming the hardware maker if they designed a phone that does not work properly with the software it was designed to use. Even you say the Bionic needs a UI overlay to handle the problem. You mean something like MotoBlur? Shouldn't Motorola have tweaked the software to accommodate their hardware? Still seems like the definition of a bug to me.

Maybe I am just blaming the wrong company, I am not sure, but somebody better work on an update to fix this issue... how about that... I will call it an "issue" from now on if it makes you feel better;)

gathome

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
And it's a HUGE issue for me! Thanks to this forum, I learned why my apps were disappearing after powering off my phone, therefore, I no longer move apps to sd card but this morning, about 10 apps that were NOT on the sd card are sitting on my phone "loading" and draining my battery at record speed and other have disappeared completely! The "loading" apps do not appear in my app list, I can't uninstall them, can't even be sure what they are! I am NOT happy and I'm considering returning this phone. :mad: Any insight on this new found issue/BUG would be greatly appreciated as the Verizon tech I spoke with was not even aware of the sd card problem. I've spend probably 30 hours in the past four days trying to get this phone to run properly and keep the apps I use and I'm about to give up! AND I'm getting crap from the iPhone users around me saying, "Buy a REAL phone!" UGH!!! Thanks, much!

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I have something related to this. I just installed Docs to Go. Prior to that I had created a folder on the SD card called "Documents" and placed some documents in there...word files and some excel files. I was using Quickoffice with them. I wanted to try Docs to Go. However, Docs to Go cannot seem to find that folder. It shows what it says is local storage on the CD card but those folders are what the Bionic is calling "Internal Memory" which is 8 Gigs in size. My SD card 8 gigs which has my files on it doesn't even show. So it seems the external partition of the SD card isn't even recognized by Docs to Go. So I may have to use QuickOffice Pro...the pre-installed version seems to see the SD card partition I put the folder in so I'm assuming the paid version will as well. I really wanted something that will sync with Goodle Docs. Apparently they both will. I also wanted to be able to use freeze pane which only DOcs to Go will do...but that function is no use when DTG cannot even find the damn files. Anybody got a solution? Why can't DTG see the SD card when QO can?

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12