Is this issue unique to my phone?

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So I got the Bionic on launch day. The dude set it up and I walked out of the store a happy little camper. I got into my car and started playing with it, and realized that if I applied a moderate amount of pressure to the screen, the screen "dimpled". Kind of like when you touch an LCD screen and the glass in the front touches the actual display. I am assuming that is the case here--the front glass is being pressed against the display underneath.

Of course I panicked as I thought there was no way this could be normal. I walked back into the store and asked the guy about it. He took it and swiped around, not causing any dimpling. I took it back from him and showed him what it looked like. He told me that the glass is just thinner than what I am used to (the Thunderbolt), and that I need to tap everything more lightly. From then on I made an effort to tap everything more gently, and it does stop the dimpling from happening. But now and again I feel myself just using my phone as I am used to, tapping things without worrying how hard I am tapping. The screen dimples. The most notable time this happens is when I am texting, just tapping away at the letters. If I make an effort I can touch lightly enough that nothing happens. But when I just do it naturally it causes the screen issue. So before I go back to the store and start making a fuss for a new phone, I have to ask. Has anybody else experienced problems with how hard they tap the screen?

When the guy told me I was tapping too hard I just took his word for it. But a few things make me doubt it. First of all, I am not a big guy, nor do I think I am relatively rough with my phone. So it seems unlikely to me that I am applying so much pressure that it is unusual, and I know for sure that there are people who touch their screens more roughly than I do, and I haven't seen any other complaints. Second, it only dimples in the middle. No matter where I tap, no matter how hard, only the middle is affected. Third, when the screen is off, sometimes I can see a little rainbow looking circle in the middle, as if the glass is already touching the screen without me tapping it. Squeezing the edges of the device makes this ripple go away, as if I am taking the glass off of the touch screen. Fourth and finally, the box it came in seems a little beat up. This makes me think that my box and phone were at the bottom of a stack, and that it was being crushed during shipment, making the screen dented in a little.

It may sound a little silly that I am even asking this, since it seems totally apparent that something is wrong with my device. But on the off chance that I am just being too rough with it I want to make sure I am not crying wolf when I go into the store tomorrow to try to get it exchanged for a new one. I have made a video of the issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My biggest concern here is that I am planning to sell this thing eventually, so I don't want to have to worry about somebody else getting it and complaining to me about this issue that I did not inform them about.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
So I got the Bionic on launch day. The dude set it up and I walked out of the store a happy little camper. I got into my car and started playing with it, and realized that if I applied a moderate amount of pressure to the screen, the screen "dimpled". Kind of like when you touch an LCD screen and the glass in the front touches the actual display. I am assuming that is the case here--the front glass is being pressed against the display underneath.

Of course I panicked as I thought there was no way this could be normal. I walked back into the store and asked the guy about it. He took it and swiped around, not causing any dimpling. I took it back from him and showed him what it looked like. He told me that the glass is just thinner than what I am used to (the Thunderbolt), and that I need to tap everything more lightly. From then on I made an effort to tap everything more gently, and it does stop the dimpling from happening. But now and again I feel myself just using my phone as I am used to, tapping things without worrying how hard I am tapping. The screen dimples. The most notable time this happens is when I am texting, just tapping away at the letters. If I make an effort I can touch lightly enough that nothing happens. But when I just do it naturally it causes the screen issue. So before I go back to the store and start making a fuss for a new phone, I have to ask. Has anybody else experienced problems with how hard they tap the screen?

When the guy told me I was tapping too hard I just took his word for it. But a few things make me doubt it. First of all, I am not a big guy, nor do I think I am relatively rough with my phone. So it seems unlikely to me that I am applying so much pressure that it is unusual, and I know for sure that there are people who touch their screens more roughly than I do, and I haven't seen any other complaints. Second, it only dimples in the middle. No matter where I tap, no matter how hard, only the middle is affected. Third, when the screen is off, sometimes I can see a little rainbow looking circle in the middle, as if the glass is already touching the screen without me tapping it. Squeezing the edges of the device makes this ripple go away, as if I am taking the glass off of the touch screen. Fourth and finally, the box it came in seems a little beat up. This makes me think that my box and phone were at the bottom of a stack, and that it was being crushed during shipment, making the screen dented in a little.

It may sound a little silly that I am even asking this, since it seems totally apparent that something is wrong with my device. But on the off chance that I am just being too rough with it I want to make sure I am not crying wolf when I go into the store tomorrow to try to get it exchanged for a new one. I have made a video of the issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My biggest concern here is that I am planning to sell this thing eventually, so I don't want to have to worry about somebody else getting it and complaining to me about this issue that I did not inform them about.

Swap it out. It shouldnt be doing that. Stores have bionics on the show floor. Go show them how yours is not like the other(s)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I can make what you describe happen on my phone but I have to press so hard it makes me uncomfortable. If you see it when texting. Either you have fingers of steel or there is a problem with your phone. Take it back!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
That's definitely not normal. Take it back and get a new one. You shouldn't have to brush it with a feather for it to act right.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I can make what you describe happen on my phone but I have to press so hard it makes me uncomfortable. If you see it when texting. Either you have fingers of steel or there is a problem with your phone. Take it back!

I have girl hands, so I don't think that is the issue. lol.

And yeah, I think what I am coming to realize is that it is a problem that I even have to think about it. I used the display phone and to my memory it didn't have any similar issue, and I have NEVER experienced that with any other phone.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
My biggest concern at this point is that the Verizon employees won't want to have to sacrifice one of their good phones in stock to replace mine, especially since there is *technically* a solution. But I feel like this is one of those "Don't hold it that way" problems (iPhone 4 reference). Yeah, I can go out of my way to tap everything delicately, which is what I have been told once, and will likely be told again. But I shouldn't have to. I just worry how much of a stink I will have to make to get a replacement...I really don't want to be that guy.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My biggest concern at this point is that the Verizon employees won't want to have to sacrifice one of their good phones in stock to replace mine, especially since there is *technically* a solution. But I feel like this is one of those "Don't hold it that way" problems (iPhone 4 reference). Yeah, I can go out of my way to tap everything delicately, which is what I have been told once, and will likely be told again. But I shouldn't have to. I just worry how much of a stink I will have to make to get a replacement...I really don't want to be that guy.

If you can cause screen distortion without any significant pressure, it's an issue Verizon MUST address immediately. It is a defective phone, and you wouldn't be being unreasonable by asking for a replacement. Think of it this way: if you bought a new car and the horn went off just by touching the steering wheel hub, would you really keep it without asking for it to be fixed or replaced? Considering that this is a touchscreen only device, you should go back to your Verizon store at your earliest convenience and ask for a replacement. If they try to say you're touching it wrong, ask for a manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a display unit with that problem. The other display models were fine. Rep said if my screen had the same issue as the defective unit they had on display, I could simply come back and swap it out. They said the dimple effect on the screen is not normal. I'd take it back for an exchange.

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
At first I thought you were crazy as I couldn't see anything on the video. I was looking where you pressing, not in the middle. LOL! Anyway, now I see it and that is crazy! Take it back immediately! That is definitely wrong. We are all still within our 14 day return period, so they really can't say No.

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Haha I pressed my screen really hard and it did the same thing you described hahaha. But I don't press hard like I did so I ain't worried about that

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20