Top 5 Bionic Apps

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I saw a thread like this on another site and thought it would be a good idea to bring it to AC. I know there is a section for Android Applications, but there seem to be a lot of people who's first ever Android phone is the Bionic and they are coming to this part of the forum for help/tips. I did a search and didn't find a similar thread here, so here goes.
So what are the top 5 apps you use on your Bionic? Here's mine:
Handcent
Zumocast(more awesome than i would have expected)
Youmail
Appbrain
(and my newest favorite) Word Farm

Galamir

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
im still too new to Android to make my opinion yet, but i like tapatalk a lot because unlike on my iphone 4 it actually works on my bionic!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lament

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Browser: Dolphin HD
Messaging: Go SMS Pro Free
Launcher: Go Launcher EX
Camera: Vignette (well worth the couple bucks)
Gallery: QuickPic

Covington

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Vcast music
Vcast tones
Vcast media manager
Vcast videos
Blockbuster

30 star post. Laughed for days.

Dolphin Browser
Pandora- Music
Word with friends- word game
circle widget- tells me the exact %'s of my battery
NFL Mobile - Perfect for keeping up with the Saints when they win the Superbowl this year
Meteor Blitz- Fun asteroids game

McGyver777

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Vcast music
Vcast tones
Vcast media manager
Vcast videos
Blockbuster

God I hope you are kidding...

Ever sit down to write a quick reply and spend an entire evening "honing" it?

See below:

Here are my five, and I'm going to follow those with some "you really need" apps too:
1. Opera Mini set to no photos (low data plan here, this is a great way to get on the WWW without burning up data.)

2. All Google stuff [might be a cheat to put them all here, but so what: Gmail, Docs, Navigation, Sky(to show off phone's power), Voice, Latitude (find your friend's GPS location, Maps, ]

3. Unified Remote: run a laptop from your phone. I have an old laptop hooked into and behind my main LCD Living room TV which with this app I can now control via my Bionic thanks to Unified Remote. Hulu (ads but without paying for Hulu Plus cause they think it is a laptop) / Netflix (paid for it but not the discs which we don't get anymore) / projectfreetv (free) / hgtv (ads) / surfthechannel (free) and any other online shows at my fingertips! TOTAL geekout to run from my phone and not use the wireless keyboard!)

4. GasBuddy (find cheapest gas, in my business the best app to save me $)

5. Netflix / Pandora (yeah, cheated and put them both here, but they are "tv/movies" and "Radio" so here they both fit into my "entertainment" apps.

---Also, some honorable mentions---

- Where's my Droid: you've lost your phone....so you tackle a nearby person and take their phone and send the text "ring" to your phone...it starts to ring (EVEN if it was set to not ring!) and you find it....OR you've lost your phone...so you tackle a nearby person and take their phone and send a text "GPS" to your phone and it tells you it's current location, speed, trajectory, and a link to the google map location of it, and long/lat....you can customize the words "ring" and "gps" (highly suggest this) so those that might have it won't know what the texts mean. Free app, very powerful! Can be used to add tracking for a kid's phone OR your spouses!!! HEH! You could make the text phrase "I love you" and it will send you back their location! LOL. Note, when I tested this, the "sent" location info and other texts DID NOT show up in the text program!!!! WOW! Imagine, checking on your kids/wife's/husband's location by saying "I love you" (or any other word or phrase) in a text message. Little scary how powerful and ap this is.

- HandyCards: ever get tired of putting all those loyalty cards from different groceries, auto parts,etc stores on your key ring? This puts anything that uses a barcode in your phone, just hold it out to them to scan (DON'T give your phone to them to scan it, drop issues with people ya know)!!!

- Square: take Discover, Visa, Mastercard, Amex with your phone and have people sign right on your phone for purchase. Find them at squareupDOTcom. Low rates, no gateway or transaction fees, no contracts. Charged only when used at 2.75%! Emails awesome professional receipts to your clients automatically. Great app and company.

-----CardCase: (sorta goes with Square) keeps your credit card info in a safe place linked to but not on your phone. Can pay any Square merchant (like me) with your phone: iphone or android compatible, no blackberry.

- barcode scanner: so you are in a store, just pick up what you are looking at and scan the UPC symbol and get reviews on it and see if amazon or some other online shop has it at a better deal (or at least ensure you aren't getting screwed on cost) Also reads those fancy "square black and white" symbols you see in magazine ads all the time.

- Dropbox (haven't used but seems awesome for what it could do)

- Zumocast (used it and it DOES rock, everything on your laptop/PC on your phone, and easily download what you want to take with you. Even rip DVD's to your PC and watch on your phone over same WIFI connection. Can download (not just stream) videos/photos/music to/from phone too!)

- HDR Camera (cool to help stop washouts which happens a lot with droid bionic's camera) you will not get the full 8mp picture, but the 6 or 5 mp photo you do get with look awesome! It takes three photos and "puts them together" to get "best results." Try it, might or might not like it. If you use it don't put photos on SD card or you won't find them in gallery....probably on SDcard somewhere???

- NPR News
- Raindar (show area RADAR)

- tape-a-talk (record voice recordings to remind you later, dictate letters/emails/meeting points, etc)

- UPS Mobile

- Wifi Analyzer (to get your router on a signal not everyone around you is using)

- Amazon Kindle (even if it does eat battery I like the option of reading a bit on the go with my phone)

- Flashlight (does what it says, also can turn your phone into emergency "flashing yellow lights" becon)

- iTriage (helps in medical situations)

- Fandango (your friends are waiting in line for tickets, you jump on your phone, bam, walk in)

- IMDB (settle all arguments about who was in what movie and when)

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Tried HDR camera a few times after you posted it. It does take pictures very very fast. But then I went and took a green square focused picture of the same object and it was WAY better.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Good concept.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Here are mine.

BeWeather - Blows away Beautiful Widgets. Has High Definition videos of current weather. Has great forecast, choice of multiple radars, links to weather underground, has a very similar widget as BW but it's just way better overall. This replaces every weather app you have.

K9 Mail - Has been as still in the best mail app for all Android phones. More options than you will ever use.

Handcent - Same as above... except for instant messages.

Business Calender Free - I put the 4x4 widget up on one screen and have it display the month, it actually says what the appointments are on the days. And I set it so if I tap it, it goes to Agenda view which is very useful. Allows you to edit appointments and make new ones very easily. The best I've seen.

Pulse - An RSS news program - it has an AMAZING amount of options for news. Most of the places I use on my computer are in there and it has thumbnails of pictures. Very fast and you can use your browser to read stuff any time you want. I just got it and am still playing with it but so far so good. The widgets are good but they need to make a full screen one.

Boat Browser - I tried all the others first because of the stupid name. It turned out to be the best one so now it's my default. Fast, easy to use and stable.

Words For Friends - I am addicted. Play scrabble against anyone over any time period.

Screebl - Another must. It keeps the phone on when you are holding it and turns it off when it senses you put it down. For some reason the battery sensor thinks it's using 97% of the battery but I think it's a bug in the battery application since it shows how much time it was used but not how much battery.

The Moto Blur Contact Widget - It comes with it, you can put your 4 favorites with pics at the top and pull down a list. I would have paid for it.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Here are mine.

Boat Browser - I tried all the others first because of the stupid name. It turned out to be the best one so now it's my default. Fast, easy to use and stable.

Just download Boat Browser. They've made some good changes since the last time I've used it. It reminds me a lot of the Safari browser for iPhone.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

lament

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Just download Boat Browser. They've made some good changes since the last time I've used it. It reminds me a lot of the Safari browser for iPhone.
That was the reason it went off the Market for a while. I just downloaded it and it looks completely different now.

My other favorite browser was Miren.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Dolphin HD (I've used dolphin since it was the only way to get pinch zoom on an OG Droid)
Pulse (I check it religiously)
Tapatalk
Words with friends (only game that my mom also plays)
Pandora (introduced me to The Gaslight Anthem and The Weeks)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Pandora is my number one app on all platforms.

Netflix will be nice when they fix the static in the audio.

I've recently started using Go Launcher EX

NoLock is a "must"

Weatherbug.

Where's My Droid

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have wayyyyyy too many apps now lol. So I'll just give you a list of more than 5.
1. Seekdroid. It may not be free, but it's amazing. I love it, but the only problem I see is that if I don't have my GPS on, I won't be able to track it as well. And I keep mine off all the time

2. Juice Defender. I only have the free version, but I love this app. It works so well, as I set it to turn off all mobile data when the screen is off. Combined with only using 3G and you'll probably get a lot of battery out of it.

3. Dragon, Fly! I saw this one as an app review somewhere (probably here or Phandroid) and I wanted to play it instantly. If you know what Tiny Wings is, this is the same idea. It's very very fun.

4. TeslaLED. Great flashlight app, gives me a widget to put on my home screen. Very helpful.

5. Onavo. I only have the free app once again, but this keep better track of my phone's data usage than Verizon's app. And if I start using too much, it'll tell me and eventually if I hit 2GB, it'll shut off all data usage so I don't get charged for overage. Nice.

6. Widgetlocker. I keep playing with this one, and I'm kind of caught between loving it, and missing some stuff on the Blur lockscreen. I love this because it lets me have a better battery monitor on my lockscreen, and it has cool unlock motions. When I have it on I use the one that looks like I'm spinning the chamber on a .44 magnum, and I love it. And you can add different types of unlocks, like one that goes to your SMS messaging or one that goes to the browser, etc. My only issue is that I miss the music widget on the Blur lockscreen, the one that lets me touch to bring up controls, and displays the music a little prettier. But I switch back and forth, and eventually I'll just look for a music widget to use on it that I like better than Blur's.

7. Gas Buddy. Self explanatory, and others have posted it. Gets me the best gas prices in town (even though normally I already know which ones are better) and also gets me good prices on the road.

8. Ringdroid. All my ringtones are always music, so this lets me cut up a song into a ringtone and store it on the phone. Only takes a few seconds or so once you find where you want to cut the song, and pretty much does what I do on my computer, but streamlines it straight onto the interface to set it as a ringtone. I'm currently using The Constant by Anthrax as my ringtone :cool:

9. Impel. This app is awesome. Yet another app review that I saw that was awesome. It lets you set up complex scheduled tasks. I have the free app, which restricts you to two tasks running at a time, but I just mainly use it to switch the media volume when I plug my phone into a jack to the optimal level to play music. And then I have one that turns the phone on vibrate every day before school.

10. Android Central and Engadget apps. Plainly self explanatory, I keep both widgets on a homescreen to get my tech/android fix.

11. Google Chrome to phone. This is a great app that runs on the phone and on my Google Chrome browser that lets me, just as the title suggests, send links from my browser to my phone. I set it to just automatically send the link and open up the browser on the phone, and it's great so I don't have to go searching for something if I want to find it on the phone.

12. IP Webcam. I'm not sure how I'll fully utilize this, but if you're connected to a network, you just leave this running and it'll send out a video on the network you can pick up at an IP address. It can even use the front facing camera. If you have a dock, this would work great to just run when you want to check on people stealing your phone, and it can even disguise as a web browser and still run the camera underneath. So people looking at crap on your web browser will show up on the camera for everyone to see! lol.

13. Skype. Very obvious, it's nice to video call people on my phone lol. And if I want to waste my data plan I can call people from anywhere...ahh the beauty of 4G. I think I'll use this more when I head to college soon, since my mom knows how to use Skype on her laptop. And my grandma likes to Skype call me too :p.

Everyone loves Zumocast, I do to. But I have a problem with it. Most of my movies are all Blu-Ray rips...so they're in .mkv files. Zumocast doesn't support streaming of .mkv files, and I have a 720p .avi blu-ray copy that it won't play either. But it plays blu-ray .mp4s just fine. And I also have a copy of Ghostbusters 2 that is in 720p that is an .avi file as well...so I think that only that one video can't be played for some reason.

Reactions: lament

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Everyone loves Zumocast, I do to. But I have a problem with it. Most of my movies are all Blu-Ray rips...so they're in .mkv files. Zumocast doesn't support streaming of .mkv files, and I have a 720p .avi blu-ray copy that it won't play either. But it plays blu-ray .mp4s just fine. And I also have a copy of Ghostbusters 2 that is in 720p that is an .avi file as well...so I think that only that one video can't be played for some reason.

My .mkv files play fine (Zumocast does support .mkv) and so do my 720p .avi files. Maybe you just have a few bad files.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
My .mkv files play fine (Zumocast does support .mkv) and so do my 720p .avi files. Maybe you just have a few bad files.

Wtf...they play just fine on my PC, but don't stream over Zumocast. There's something wrong with either the codecs that Zumocast supports, or the files are bad