Is this the best smart phone to get?

BlackBarryNewb

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Droid 1. I've been wanting to upgrade. One problem I have with my current phone is the picture quality from the camera. I just read a review on the Bionic and it's an impressive phone but I'm still a bit concerned about the camera. Anyways, I'm willing to get this phone but I was wondering if there are future plans for better phones?

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
There will always be better phones around the corner. And with the tech now a days, it seems like they are popping out new ones every 2-5 months!!! But as a smartphone.....the bionic is nothing short of amazing!!!! fast, screen works well in direct sunlight (minus the complaints about it being washed out of colors, and some can see the pixelation.......but im used to it now and theres nothing wrong with it) plenty of ram, never slowed down, no problems yet (we all know launch phones are the questionable ones.....) and over all i love it! (and im coming from the tbolt that didnt have problems either!!!) and with verizon selling extended batteries for 50% off, not worried about the juice either. And it does add a bit of heft and bulk......but its design is pretty awesome and works well with the phone......so its not like it looks hideous or anything.

now if your main concern is the camera.....the quality is ok not the best, but itll do for daily random shoots. But be forewarned.....the focus time on this thing is llllloooooonnnnnggggg!!!! and sometimes snapping a picture quickly.....is out of the question and you miss some things. LOL. My only gripe about the phone.....but i usually take scenic /static pics anyway.....so im not too worried.

So phone = excellent, camera = could be better!

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
At the moment this is the best overall LTE phone you can get on Verizon. That being said, its still not without problems. If the camera is top priority and your not having serious problems with your current phone I would wait another month or so. If nothing peaks your interest at that time i would then consider the Bionic. I think this will be a really solid phone after a software/Bug fix update.

charlie310

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
At the moment this is the best overall LTE phone you can get on Verizon. That being said, its still not without problems. If the camera is top priority and your not having serious problems with your current phone I would wait another month or so. If nothing peaks your interest at that time i would then consider the Bionic. I think this will be a really solid phone after a software/Bug fix update.

I agree. Best LTE phone out right now, even with all the bugs. The camera blows (obviously, because it's a smartphone, not a camera). My 5 year old 5MP camera shoots better pics than this thing, even though this one is 8MP. I think the focus and flash on it is what's causing the low quality.

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Always a better phone right around the corner, but I'm completely happy with the smart phone aspects, however the Camera is mediocre...

I went from Droid 1 > Bionic and it was an excellent experience and I personally haven't had any major bugs...

Its hands down the best LTE phone available now.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Overall, I love this phone, and any weird quirky things just make it that much better in my opinion. That's what the whole idea of Android is about. But I haven't found too many issues with this phone. The battery life is okay, but I just ordered an extended battery because I'm a power user. The phone is speedy, very very few lockups, battery pulls, slowdowns...and the main problem with my phone specifically is because I run too many apps at a time, and a lot of apps that really shouldn't be compatible with this phone too lol. And I'm rooted so I have little issues here and there because of that, but I love the benefits.
Now...the camera. I can NOT get a good shot of something moving. It's very very very very hard...and it's best to use the movable focus square, that's the only way I can get a good shot of something. I strongly suggest a third party camera app like Vignette or HDR Camera, they take much much better photos in general, doesn't matter what phone it is. But I've posted some pictures I took...they look generally nice if I can focus them correctly, and the colors are mostly correct and all around are pretty clear and pretty.
I currently don't hold any real gripes on the phone. It works exactly the way I want it to (other than I think I'll run out of homescreen room here pretty soon lol) and I've had very little problems with it.
I can pretty much say if you were to buy a smartphone today, this is the best possible one you can buy for Verizon. I can't say much for any other carriers, but nothing matches LTE speed. I can't believe how amazing and fast it is. But I have yet to see anything that convinces me that anything is better on any other device on Verizon.

RodThaBod

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I came across your post and I would like to comment on the picture quality. I don't understand why people are talking junk about the camera on the Bionic. When I first got mine , I took a few pictures and I was also feeling the pain of bad pictures. The auto focus is bad. It takes WAY too long to focus. So , I did some looking around. Before I would bash the camera , I searched and searched. When in focus , it takes great pictures. I downloaded an app called Camera 360 ultimate. It does a great job. I took 4 pictures with the Bionic and 4 pictures with my canon power shot and emailed them to my uncle. The pictures were taken at the same thing and the same angle. He couldn't tell the difference. It leads me to believe it will be taken care of with a firmware update. I have had this phone from day one and I would recommend it to everyone.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Droid 1. I've been wanting to upgrade. One problem I have with my current phone is the picture quality from the camera. I just read a review on the Bionic and it's an impressive phone but I'm still a bit concerned about the camera. Anyways, I'm willing to get this phone but I was wondering if there are future plans for better phones?
Yes droid guy better phones are always coming. will they blow the Bionic away? Of course not. Duel core LTE is the shiznit. Everything else is nitpicking vanity at its finest.