Calibrate Compass

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I noticed my Bionic's compass is way off no matter which way I hold it. On my old phone I could calibrate the compass, but on here I can't seem to find the option. Is there no way to calibrate it or am I just missing it?

longiotti

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure you have to start moving in order for the device to update. Think of it as the device is telling you what direction you are traveling not what direction you are facing. Make sense?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure you have to start moving in order for the device to update. Think of it as the device is telling you what direction you are traveling not what direction you are facing. Make sense?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

If you are in maps you should see the little blue arrow. When you rotate the phone the arrow should point the direction you are facing. Mine does not.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are in maps you should see the little blue arrow. When you rotate the phone the arrow should point the direction you are facing. Mine does not.

I use Super Compass. It points north. In maps, the blue arrow rotates as I rotate. If I walk, the arrow shows the direction that I am headed.

in other words, it's all working properly...

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

My google maps blue arrow does turn as I do. Have you tried downloading one of the compass apps from the market? One made by Catch (it's free) has a calibrate function in the app. Maybe if you do that, it will apply to your internal compass. If not, I'd try posting this problem on the Motorola forum and see what they say. Could be a defective device.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My google maps blue arrow does turn as I do. Have you tried downloading one of the compass apps from the market? One made by Catch (it's free) has a calibrate function in the app. Maybe if you do that, it will apply to your internal compass. If not, I'd try posting this problem on the Motorola forum and see what they say. Could be a defective device.
Calibrating in the app seems to have done the trick for whatever reason. Thanks for the suggestion.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Does the compass use much battery power? It would be nice to have once-in-a-while, but I don't want it draining the battery all the time. Dave, whom is VERY stingy with his battery :) has one so I am assuming the answer would be no!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Does the compass use much battery power? It would be nice to have once-in-a-while, but I don't want it draining the battery all the time. Dave, whom is VERY stingy with his battery :) has one so I am assuming the answer would be no!

The compass made by Catch will only draw power while you're using it. I find it very helpful as it has an Add Places button that will store your current gps location (when pressed). This makes it easy to get back to places (using Google Navigation) at a later date.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The compass made by Catch will only draw power while you're using it. I find it very helpful as it has an Add Places button that will store your current gps location (when pressed). This makes it easy to get back to places (using Google Navigation) at a later date.

Thanks for the useful information...I just downloaded it and will give it a try! Looks good so far...does it stop the power draw automatically when you back out of it with the return key on the phone?