3g/4g issue with bionic

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

im sure many of you have heard of the known issue that seems to be with the bionic. Fluctuates beteen 3g and 4g and then drops the signal..AND when the phone has 3g it has no data connection.

has anyone heard of a patch or something for this?

I read that a hard reset may work or even endabling and disabling the airplane mode also is a short term fix..aside of that motorola is due to release a fix for it in november..which is a a little way from now..

any suggestions?

Im going to swap it out with another

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The only trick I heard (by both the Verizon rep and online) was to remove your LTE Sim Card for a minute and then put it back in and that somehow resets it? Other than that I think the Moto OTA update is about it.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

im sure many of you have heard of the known issue that seems to be with the bionic. Fluctuates beteen 3g and 4g and then drops the signal..AND when the phone has 3g it has no data connection.

has anyone heard of a patch or something for this?

I read that a hard reset may work or even endabling and disabling the airplane mode also is a short term fix..aside of that motorola is due to release a fix for it in november..which is a a little way from now..

any suggestions?

Im going to swap it out with another

there is a detailed thread floating around on one of the Bionic forums about what's going to be included in the next TWO updates. Included in the first update is supposedly a fix for connectivity issues. patience will be rewarded

Enjoy: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...l-known-bionic-problems-reported-verizon.html

Reactions: corymcnutt

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
are you two experiencing this issue?

sometimes, but not something that is much of a bother. it jumps between 3 and 4G inside my home, but other places it's quite stable. other issues I've had required me to set up Airplane Mode shortcut so that I could quickly turn APM on/off to kickstart data connectivity now and again. I haven't had to do that in a while.

this issue should be resolved via a forthcoming update.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It takes mine a short time to bring up 4G again, but it seems to be working better/faster now and not happening as much than when I first got the phone...why, I have know idea.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Mine seems only to drop the connection in low coverage areas like the building where I work. During the day at work I now keep my Bionic forced to CDMA only, and that seems to help. I only switch it back when I leave work for home.

Before when I did lose connectivity, it would eventually come back on its own when I moved into a better coverage area or (from the best that I could tell) when I switched towers.

I'm sure there is a bug they will eventually patch.

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
would it help to change the sim card? this is quite annoying and being that I rely on this for email its frustrating as well. Granted I do live in a 4g area (philadelphia) and even then the signal comes in and out?!

johnvk70

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue and I took it into a Verizon store to get a replacement (I was within my 14 days), previous to that we did try a new SIM card. It's been over a day now with the new replacement Bionic and it has been in 4G the entire time.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It took mine a while to start exhibiting the goofy dropout issue. It was fine for the first week. In a strong 4G signal area so it's weird that it drops it like that.
I'm hopeful a fix will come with the first update.

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My issue is that even in a 3g area,I get no data. If im in 4G it wont last, it will go to 3G and drop to no data t all. Very frustrating.

Is there a sense in returning it as it is a known issue. This is my second one and my first one had this issue in addition to not waking up from sleep mode.

Great phone if they would take the time to make sure the dam thing worked better.

DatkidPudge

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
To the OP... I had the same exact issue. Got my Bionic replaced exchanged it at Costco, and I've been fine.. I think it might be hardware.. I didnt want to deal with having to use WIFI or to just get apps to work. My suggestion is exchange it.. Costco took mine back no questions...

I still get the occasional hiccup here and there, but it behaves a lot better..

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
That is a long list!!!!!! I'm seriously thinking about going with an HTC Thunderbolt instead.

Sorry but you must have looked at the length and not really read all of them in detail...1/2 the list ARE NOT "defects" in either hardware or software, but are implemented as requested by Verizon and the majority of the remaining should be fixed with an OTA fix in November. The TB had quite a list of problems as well; not that I'm dissing the phone...my friend has one and loves it. I'm only saying the Bionic is more refined and faster/smoother and has longer battery life than the TB.

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I managed to exchange my bionic for a new one. Should this signal dropping continue to happen..is there a certain time frame after I start using the device that it can happen?

should I notice it within a few hours or days? I would think if its going to happen..should happen from the beginning??

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
My issue is that even in a 3g area,I get no data. If im in 4G it wont last, it will go to 3G and drop to no data t all. Very frustrating.

Is there a sense in returning it as it is a known issue. This is my second one and my first one had this issue in addition to not waking up from sleep mode.

Great phone if they would take the time to make sure the dam thing worked better.

i have the same issue re: no data on 3g at times. it's annoying but i'm pretty sure this will be fixed in the next release

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
if this data thing is going to happen again, it should happen within the first few hours of use? or will it take a few days?