3G/4G disappearing at top of screen

TCinCNJ

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had ongoing issues with 4G and 3G...have switched modes to restore, but that doesn't always work. Have tried leaving on 3G but that doesn't even work sometimes. Have shut down and restarted but that didn't work this morning. This is in Central New Jersey along the Northeast Corridor north of Edison where I know there is service. . Seems to me from the posts, it is not a location issue per se, it is a network and or phone issue. With so many people having this issue, I don't want the hassle of getting a replacement phone if that isn't the problem. Any more hints of fixes to come?

Last edited:

jding88

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had ongoing issues with 4G and 3G...have switched modes to restore, but that doesn't always work. Have tried leaving on 3G but that doesn't even work sometimes. Have shut down and restarted but that didn't work this morning. This is in Central New Jersey along . Seems to me from the posts, it is not a location issue per se, it is a network and or phone issue. With so many people having this issue, I don't want the hassle of getting a replacement phone if that isn't the problem. Any more hints of fixes to come?

I've been experiencing the same thing too. Woke up this morning had no 3G, however it eventually came back, lately it's also been dropping off randomly and coming back. Im also located in Central New Jersey so I'm guessing this is a verizon network issue, especially since they had that outage a week ago

TCinCNJ

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same thing too. Woke up this morning had no 3G, however it eventually came back, lately it's also been dropping off randomly and coming back. Im also located in Central New Jersey so I'm guessing this is a verizon network issue, especially since they had that outage a week ago

I just called Verizon to report it since many posters here and elsewhere said that Verizon needs to realize how widespread it is. Verizon told me it is a known issue. Short term, they said toggle with airplane mode or reboot. Supposedly the issue is to be addressed with the first "post-launch" update for Bionic that is supposed to be in early November.

jding88

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I figured it would have been the verizon network because my problem only started this week snd ive had the phone since launch

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I figured it would have been the verizon network because my problem only started this week snd ive had the phone since launch

I just had an issue after a long call my 3G wouldn't come back until I toggled airplane mode. I thought this was only supposed to happen when switching to 4G.

I've also had a few nights in the past week where data disappears. Usually not a huge deal because I'm at home.

justfixit

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
For those of you still suffering with this issue, there are a couple of ways to get this and other issues resolved. Replacing the phone for a software bug will get you nothing but a hassle of factory resetting the phone, transferring only most of your data (unless rooted) and then experiencing the issue again. Calling over and over again and demanding yet another phone just upsets you.

My suggestion is to contact Verizon AND Motorola, and explain that you'd like to submit your MEID with a Product Issue form. If you've already done a master reset, say so. That way you can keep your data intact until the fix is implemented. Also, you avoid getting a refurbished device two weeks after buying a new one.

Basically the line of thinking is that if Verizon notices this particular issue driving up their call volume, and there is a sudden influx of product issue forms, then they in turn will pressure the manufacturer to fix the problem, instead of slapping on a band-aid that will eventually fall off (sending a replacement phone). If Motorola is getting calls too, then they will be even more eager to fix the issue. Plus, your MEID may help them identify if it was a run of bad phones or indeed a software issue.

I personally don't like sending in my new phone if it's just a bug. Had an issue with the HTC Incredible I bought last April and only had it replaced when the power button failed. I wanted to keep the original AMOLED screen instead of the SLCD so I just reported the bugs after doing an initial factory reset with tech support, and eventually the software updates were released with fixes. I've received multiple phones in the past and then it turned out that had I just reported the issue and they had submitted these feedback forms, I could have kept my original phone and not lost saved texts, app progress, etc.

Reactions: tkong

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
@justfixit You're right. We are very quick to swap for a "new" device when our current one starts acting up. I personally like, love, my Bionic with the exception of the 3G/4G/no signal issue. I'm hoping an update comes soon.

dliontis28

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Ive had the og droid for two years up till last weekend when i made the switch to the bionic. I am overly impressed with everything about the phone. I read 2 days ago about this issue and yesterday it started. I called verizon and they said to pull the batt and sim for 30 sec and it would fix it. It helped yesterday but today has been crazy with the data drops. I just downloaded the restart app and am ready to try it when i drop data. Thanks for the advise. This is why i love forums.