hidden contacts that appear when people call me??

johnnyolsen

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
so i've got a sh*t ton of contacts and when i migrated over from my palm pre. there were a bunch that didn't get transfered from my gmail contacts list (the list was significantly reduced from where it used to be) that was fine, so i manually added about 200-300 names. for whatever reason when i do a search in my droid bionic i can't find those that i didn't manually add, but if they call me, their name appears as if it were still in my contacts. very odd. anyone have any suggestions on what in the heck is a goin' on here?

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Go to the app drawer and choose contacts. Make sure the contact tab is selected. Push the menu (4 square) button and select display options. Under Choose contacts to display it will show all your contact sources. Select each of them and check all of the groups under each one. This should let you see all of your hidden contacts. Then play around with them to figure out what groups have your missing contacts. It might be easier to play around with the groups by accessing your google account on a computer.

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
great thanks you're a lifesaver. there's way too many sub-menus under this phone :)

Your right about sub menus!
I did find it much easier to log onto my google account from a computer and move the contacts into different groups. If you use google voice groups can have their own Voicemail greetings.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Two things:

1 - Check your My Verizon account, find the list of contacts it's backed up. These you should totally delete if you are using gmail for contacts. All your contacts will be stored in Gmail. The Vz backup (which I recommend you do NOT activate - just causes problems) for contacts doesn't sync very well, stores old and deleted information and periodically will throw all this into an otherwise nice, clean list.

A clue that this is happening is when you see a "linked" icon on an individual DB contact. This indicated duplicates. No shortcut to clean this up. You have to go into Gmail on your computer and manually delete duplicates.

2 - I just discovered a source of some duplicated information WITHIN a contact - On the computer version of Gmail, there's a list of contacts under the heading "Other contacts". I have no idea where these came from, although they are part of my master contacts list. I deleted them all after testing a few to make sure deleting wouldn't affect my master list. Cleaned up a lot of duplicated data.