what a BRICK

drc4069

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I was just checking my email and my bionic gave me the BSOD. I pulled the battery and tried to restart it, but with no success. It has never been rooted, so I guess I have to make an unscheduled stop by my local verizon store today, ugh.

Lasermn

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
That sucks.... Mine did that to me on a road trip last week. The local Verizon store wouldn't help even though the phone was only 60 days old. Had to get one shipped overnight to the next city. Hope this isn't going to be standard operating procedure with this phone.

drc4069

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I plugged my phone up to the computer and it won't even register with it......it's DEAD. I called a V rep and we went through all the start up steps and none of them worked. He said to just take it to the store and see if they can help me. It's less then 30 days old.:'(

wgroche

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My first Bionic that I got on 9/8 lasted 21 days and then died like this. I took it to Verizon and they could not get it to start either and just exchanged it for a new one. Good luck!

drc4069

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My first Bionic that I got on 9/8 lasted 21 days and then died like this. I took it to Verizon and they could not get it to start either and just exchanged it for a new one. Good luck!

I took it to them and I will be getting a replacement in the mail. I had to activate an old Eris I had laying around the house to get me through the few days i will be without my bionic. I wish they could have just exchanged it for one they had in stock.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I took it to them and I will be getting a replacement in the mail. I had to activate an old Eris I had laying around the house to get me through the few days i will be without my bionic. I wish they could have just exchanged it for one they had in stock.

You only have 14 days to return or exchange devices for a new one in store, after that you get a refurb. That has been the policy for as many years as I have been with them. Earlier this year the policy was changed to make them have to order you a refurbished one rather than have them on hand to swap out because of the large amount of abuse that was taking place. In rare instances you will see the stores replace the device with new in box stock (at cost to the store) rather than a refurb, but that is rare.

As a side note my own Bionic took a crap earlier this evening as well. The screen froze up and then the entire device locked up. I placed it in the charging dock and the phone promptly rebooted. It rebooted itself several times but only got to the home screen once before rebooting and after a couple more half reboots it stopped responding altogether. Device is now completely dead except the screen IS warm, but when I plug it into the computer it does not recognize it.

I tried the power and volume down as well as the power and both volume rockers, removed the SIM and memory card battery out for at least 15 seconds (was more than that) etc... nothing.

Called *611 and talked to tech support and after talking to one person who confirmed all the things I tried he connected me to a full tech and he also confirmed that I had tried everything I could. Since I told both of them I did NOT want a replacement he told me my only other alternative was to take it to a store and see what they could do. I'll be doing that Sunday. If that does not work I can call Motorola and send it to them to fix if I still don't want a replacement. :(

Let's hope they can do something for me :(

drc4069

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
You only have 14 days to return or exchange devices for a new one in store, after that you get a refurb. That has been the policy for as many years as I have been with them. Earlier this year the policy was changed to make them have to order you a refurbished one rather than have them on hand to swap out because of the large amount of abuse that was taking place. In rare instances you will see the stores replace the device with new in box stock (at cost to the store) rather than a refurb, but that is rare.

As a side note my own Bionic took a crap earlier this evening as well. The screen froze up and then the entire device locked up. I placed it in the charging dock and the phone promptly rebooted. It rebooted itself several times but only got to the home screen once before rebooting and after a couple more half reboots it stopped responding altogether. Device is now completely dead except the screen IS warm, but when I plug it into the computer it does not recognize it.

I tried the power and volume down as well as the power and both volume rockers, removed the SIM and memory card battery out for at least 15 seconds (was more than that) etc... nothing.

Called *611 and talked to tech support and after talking to one person who confirmed all the things I tried he connected me to a full tech and he also confirmed that I had tried everything I could. Since I told both of them I did NOT want a replacement he told me my only other alternative was to take it to a store and see what they could do. I'll be doing that Sunday. If that does not work I can call Motorola and send it to them to fix if I still don't want a replacement. :(

Let's hope they can do something for me :(

I knew there was a 14 day exchange policy, which I used on the Bionic from the Charge, but I didn't know that was the same policy for warranty issues.

When mine shut off, it never came back. It did get warm like yours though. Almost seems like there is still something working in there? I should have my replacement this afternoon, I can't wait. This OLD ERIS is SLOW!!!!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I knew there was a 14 day exchange policy, which I used on the Bionic from the Charge, but I didn't know that was the same policy for warranty issues.

When mine shut off, it never came back. It did get warm like yours though. Almost seems like there is still something working in there? I should have my replacement this afternoon, I can't wait. This OLD ERIS is SLOW!!!!

Only if you want a totally NEW device (ie retail packaging). You can get a CLNR (Certified Like New Replacement ... ie refurbished) device as long as you are the original owner for one year from the activation date, or indefinitely if you have the total equipment coverage or the extended warranty.

Yeah I can imagine it is, compared to any top tiered phone. :(

Going to the store tomorrow... wish me luck...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

I visited the store and as expected he could not get it running either (he actually tried fewer troubleshooting things than I did :( )

I'll be getting a plain brown box in Tuesday most likely. He annotated the order and my account that I requested a new device not refurbished because of past bad experiences, but I am not holding my breath. If there is the slightest thing not right about the replacement I will be sending that one back and I told him as much. :(

:mad:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

I visited the store and as expected he could not get it running either (he actually tried fewer troubleshooting things than I did :( )

I'll be getting a plain brown box in Tuesday most likely. He annotated the order and my account that I requested a new device not refurbished because of past bad experiences, but I am not holding my breath. If there is the slightest thing not right about the replacement I will be sending that one back and I told him as much. :(

:mad:

AND IT'S OFFICIAL... I got a CLNR... and they didn't even try to hide it like they sometimes do the package is clearly labeled as such in big red letters (gone are the days of the mysterious plain brown box).

Seems OK so far but in another change I only have 5 days (used to be 10) to evaluate and send the old one back. :mad:

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I was just checking my email and my bionic gave me the BSOD. I pulled the battery and tried to restart it, but with no success. It has never been rooted, so I guess I have to make an unscheduled stop by my local verizon store today, ugh.

If it was rooted and one was to get the BSOD would verizon be able to tell it was rooted?

drc4069

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
AND IT'S OFFICIAL... I got a CLNR... and they didn't even try to hide it like they sometimes do the package is clearly labeled as such in big red letters (gone are the days of the mysterious plain brown box).

Seems OK so far but in another change I only have 5 days (used to be 10) to evaluate and send the old one back. :mad:

I didn't get my CLNR until yesterday. The store I went to never put in the order(Last Thursday), so Monday I had to call and get it REALLY on order:mad:!!! I sent an email to customer service only to get a reply that they sent an email to the store to let them know of their incompetence. I was hoping for some kind of discounted month or something, but big red is BIG RED.

drc4069

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If it was rooted and one was to get the BSOD would verizon be able to tell it was rooted?

I couldn't tell you, as far as I know the phone was completely dead. I know most of the time when you get a BSOD, you can reboot or go to recovery mode, if rooted you can unroot from there and do everything to get a new phone, but when you can't turn it on I think they will just have to tear it apart and start with a new phone rooted or unrooted. I know i'm clear as mud :confused:

Ghetto_Cowgirl

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Well holy crap, I came here to post a thread on this. Two days it's been dead, I bought it from Radioshack though...Sep 28th. I've got the battery charging separately from the phone, I get the logo occasionally when i try boot it but other than that, nothing. I leave the country on Monday for 2 months and I NEED a phone there! I'm not sure what I can do now :(

Edit: I called Verizon anyway, they overnighting me another one, will be here by Friday. Thank God!

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

No, it's very unlikely.

I didn't get my CLNR until yesterday. The store I went to never put in the order(Last Thursday), so Monday I had to call and get it REALLY on order:mad:!!! I sent an email to customer service only to get a reply that they sent an email to the store to let them know of their incompetence. I was hoping for some kind of discounted month or something, but big red is BIG RED.

LOL well they arent going to give you a discount but if you reply to the email response asking for an account credit for your inconvenience you have a good chance of getting it.

I couldn't tell you, as far as I know the phone was completely dead. I know most of the time when you get a BSOD, you can reboot or go to recovery mode, if rooted you can unroot from there and do everything to get a new phone, but when you can't turn it on I think they will just have to tear it apart and start with a new phone rooted or unrooted. I know i'm clear as mud :confused:

They don't check for rooting. That's one of those urban legends that just wont die. They check the phone for excessive ware and tare and water damage and that you are sending them the corect device and that is it.

Well holy crap, I came here to post a thread on this. Two days it's been dead, I bought it from Radioshack though...Sep 28th. I've got the battery charging separately from the phone, I get the logo occasionally when i try boot it but other than that, nothing. I leave the country on Monday for 2 months and I NEED a phone there! I'm not sure what I can do now :(

Edit: I called Verizon anyway, they overnighting me another one, will be here by Friday. Thank God!

It doesn't matter where you bought it, as long as you are the original owner (they can tell by the IEMI record) they will honor the manufacturer's warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20