Battery use after the update

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing Big changes in the battery use charts after the updates. The Cell Standby category dropped way down and the Display moved to the top.

Anyone else see the same thing?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes...and my list seems more detailed. Will comment on battery life after a couple days normal use, but it *seems* to be better so far.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The list you see under battery use is one of the least relevant and most over-stressed, over-criticized by people when it comes to their battery life.

Look at how your using your phone and how quick the battery is draining, and after a few cycles, how many hours per full charge you seem to be getting with your average use. I've seen so many people complain about awful battery life, and it cracks me up when I hear them say something like "I'm getting 10-12 or more hours on average, but Cell Standby is always on top!! Fix IT!!!"... You shouldn't care what that list looks like if the battery life your getting is respectable. Lots of things influence the list and the things that report on there are not always accurate.

Lol sorry for the rant, but seriously I've gone through this with so many people and its a pet peeve when they want to ignore the facts and just complain about the percentages they're seeing in that dumb list.

Reactions: corymcnutt

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
The list you see under battery use is one of the least relevant and most over-stressed, over-criticized by people when it comes to their battery...

I somewhat agree with you. The list is FAR from accurate, but can be used a tool when something is off.

For example: One of my apps updated and I noticed my battery life going from 10-12 to 4-5. I looked at the list and that one app was at 61 percent. I uninstalled the app and notified the developer. My next full charge cycle was back where it was before the app updated.

That list was much easier than looking at each app's use. I am glad they adjusted it in this update and hopefully will make it more useful tool.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I somewhat agree with you. The list is FAR from accurate, but can be used a tool when something is off.

For example: One of my apps updated and I noticed my battery life going from 10-12 to 4-5. I looked at the list and that one app was at 61 percent. I uninstalled the app and notified the developer. My next full charge cycle was back where it was before the app updated.

That list was much easier than looking at each app's use. I am glad they adjusted it in this update and hopefully will make it more useful tool.

Yes I agree, thats kind of what I meant... If there's a glaring issue with your battery life then the list can help you figure out what app may be causing it. Its when people are getting great battery life and then complaining that "Cell Standby is at 49%" or some other completely arbitrary percentage that clearly isn't actually causing them any problems, but they want the percentage to be lower?... That's what irritates the poop out of me..

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Tom - Is that 3G or 4G?

I think the upgrade has made this reporting more detailed - are the icons new after you tap the battery? Seems like the list is more complete. The minutes add up if you look at all items.

And 70% after 8 hours is flat better

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
What update? My phone is still on 5.5.886 and says that I am up to date when I go to System Updates.

Sent from my 4G Xoom using Tapatalk.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
What update? My phone is still on 5.5.886 and says that I am up to date when I go to System Updates.

They are either talking about a rooted update or the "soak test" that some of us were given to test this past weekend, but were not allowed to discuss.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
They are either talking about a rooted update or the "soak test" that some of us were given to test this past weekend, but were not allowed to discuss.

Another situation, Cory...I got the notification of the OTA, d/led and installed it with no problem and though I'm a member of the Moto Bionic forum and had signed up for the soak test team, I *did not* receive an email from Matt. I think there were notifications sent to some unknown number of Bionic owners in the first (of several?) pushes and don't think I'm restrained from discussing the OTA.

I also wonder if the Bionic OTA load on theVZW servers contributes to the delay of the GN launch and after the push for Bionics is complete, the servers will switch over to the GN activations.

Time will tell, I guess.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Tom - Is that 3G or 4G?

I'm fortunately very close to the cell tower in this small town and have had solid two and three bars on 4G since it went live the week following the Bionic launch. I've only had one data drop and that only lasted a few minutes. Someone else living in my area suffered during what was called a 'national outage' last week and I never lost 4G through that day.

Proximity to the tower? - maybe.

BarneyDroid

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that the new OTA update is being rolled out over a period of 3 weeks. This is supposidly the official update approved by VZW, not a SOAK test. I'm still waiting on my update. This has been the worst experience I have ever had with VZW/MOTO

rpitts9999

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Why is the Andriod OS at the top of the battery list now? Is it normal?
Seems elevated. After an hour it's still at around 59%

And is their anything to do to help cut it back?

rpitts9999

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Read the entire thread, namely, my comments about the percentages you're looking at and why they for the most part DO NOT MATTER.

celticfdguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
After going with the new update... my extended battery no longer works! It has a question mark in it and when i go to charge it it says i need an authentic battery or something... I bought it from VZW so I'd think its authentic!

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

Don't worry about that. You are seeing normal use. The percentages we had before were off.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The list you see under battery use is one of the least relevant and most over-stressed, over-criticized by people when it comes to their battery life.

Look at how your using your phone and how quick the battery is draining, and after a few cycles, how many hours per full charge you seem to be getting with your average use. I've seen so many people complain about awful battery life, and it cracks me up when I hear them say something like "I'm getting 10-12 or more hours on average, but Cell Standby is always on top!! Fix IT!!!"... You shouldn't care what that list looks like if the battery life your getting is respectable. Lots of things influence the list and the things that report on there are not always accurate.

Lol sorry for the rant, but seriously I've gone through this with so many people and its a pet peeve when they want to ignore the facts and just complain about the percentages they're seeing in that dumb list.

@2defmouze - yet another excellent post...
I put chargers everywhere I expect to be (home, work and car). It is more than just a phone so you will use lots of battery. Buy a LG Dare if you want 3 days on a charge!

xtreme381

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
@2defmouze - yet another excellent post...
I put chargers everywhere I expect to be (home, work and car). It is more than just a phone so you will use lots of battery. Buy a LG Dare if you want 3 days on a charge!

Ah! I remember my old Dare! That thing was a beast with battery life!!! 3 - 4 days easily. The other thing people seem to forget is that we no longer use our phones as just phones anymore. They are mobile computing platforms so to expect the same battery life on a Bionic that you'd get from the Dare is just not reality. I bought an extra battery with my phone the day I picked it up and it's been a life saver. It was only $20 (half price) and worth every penny. Usually though I will get a full day of moderate to heavy use before I need to swap it out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1