rooted and scared to do update

astella

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok....i just got the notification on my phone that it wants to update...I am rooted and I removed or relocated the crap apps Verizon puts on there phones. I have TiBackup along with Root Explorer. I don't want to do this backup if it is going to brick my phone....what exactly is the process I will need to do to do the update?

Is there anything I can do to stay rooted and update or do I have to un-root.

My phone is working great right now and I don't want to screw it up. I also don't want to have to continue to click the LATER button every hour when the message comes up to update.

Please help......I need it.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok....i just got the notification on my phone that it wants to update...I am rooted and I removed or relocated the crap apps Verizon puts on there phones. I have TiBackup along with Root Explorer. I don't want to do this backup if it is going to brick my phone....what exactly is the process I will need to do to do the update?

Is there anything I can do to stay rooted and update or do I have to un-root.

My phone is working great right now and I don't want to screw it up. I also don't want to have to continue to click the LATER button every hour when the message comes up to update.

Please help......I need it.

Thanks

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have not received the update notice tho. My bionic is about 5 or 6 weeks old and running 5.5.893.XT875 just like it came from Verizon.

Only reason I'm tempted to do the OTA update is lousy 4G/3G connections.

Just curious, system version you running?

KeithF40#AC

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
do a titanium backup. copy to sd ext. update. reroot using the method discussed in the rooting section. dl titanium. copy back from sd ext to sd. restore.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
do a titanium backup. copy to sd ext. update. reroot using the method discussed in the rooting section. dl titanium. copy back from sd ext to sd. restore.

Don't give bad advice. Your lives will likely be immensely easier if you are rooted and apply foreverroot BEFORE updating, than if you try to root after updating.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, just apply the 43v3r root script before taking the latest update. You can run the program on windows, linux or mac. I used it on my iMac.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted, tried to install the update and it failed. Will it try again? Should I unroot until the update loads?
The fact that your rooted didn't cause the fail. More likely something you've removed or frozen or otherwise changed. If you can figure it out, you should keep root, make sure you apply foreverroot, and try to update in that state. Look in the rooting section for info on foreverroot if you need.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I went back to stock, applied the update, and was able to reroot just using the one-click exploit. It did block Pete's Root Tools though.

There's been conflicting reports from people about whether or not you can keep root post update. Some are saying yes others are saying no. Somewhat bizarrely.

I've avoided the issue altogther and used leaked 5.7.893.

DefectiveWeeble

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
There's been conflicting reports from people about whether or not you can keep root post update. Some are saying yes others are saying no. Somewhat bizarrely.

I've avoided the issue altogther and used leaked 5.7.893.

I figured I would rather stick to the Verizon official updates (I'm a miser and didn't want to have to pay for a brand new phone if I screwed up.) and lose root if it came to it. Once I got the update, I tried using Pete's tools and it didn't work, so I tried the One-Click Exploit and it found a way in. I just thought I'd let people know what worked for me. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to rooting and all that lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay