Still no update...

red3213

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have still not received the OTA update. On Saturday I called Verizon who connected me to Moto and they said to just be patient.

I did get a new SIM card when all the data issues started so, I asked the Moto rep and he said that he is not aware of any such issue. The official line was that they are rolling it out slowly and will have it to everyone soon but he could not give me a time line.

I am now looking for suggestions... Anyone else have this same issue? I do not want to do a reset.

Has anyone that had a SIM card swapped out gotten the update?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Funny how they said the update is being rolled out slowly. Meanwhile, the RAZR was released a few weeks ago and they're already getting an update. Clearly you can see where Motorola's priorities are.

I hate to break the bad news to you, but if you replaced your SIM card, you become disconnected from Motorola's servers. The only way to be reconnected to get the update is to factory reset your phone. And unfortunately, no one has posted a link to download the update manually over the internet yet.

tamcon

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Still no OTA updat here. I have tried a hundred times to manually update using the "system updates" feature. This only leaves the phone "checking for updates" which it never connects and finds.

I'll be patient for two more weeks.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have still not received the OTA update. On Saturday I called Verizon who connected me to Moto and they said to just be patient.

I did get a new SIM card when all the data issues started so, I asked the Moto rep and he said that he is not aware of any such issue. The official line was that they are rolling it out slowly and will have it to everyone soon but he could not give me a time line.

I am now looking for suggestions... Anyone else have this same issue? I do not want to do a reset.

Has anyone that had a SIM card swapped out gotten the update?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

does your phone connect to the update server OK? ie, do you or do you not get the "unable to check for updates" message? if you DO get that, u will need to do a RESET. sorry.

rrrijah

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi.

I found that the update only came when I connected via wifi for a period of time.

I just got 5.9.901 and am restarting now.

cheers.

sprtent

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat up to last week, ie, replaced sim before and my phone keep saying update not available when I manually asked for it to check.

Last friday I called VZ and their tech support denied any update available for my Bionic. I even registered with Motorola.com to let me know any update available for my phone, but no notice.

So, on saturday I went ahead and did a reset. Asked my phone to check again, and there it was. Had to redownloaded my apps and re-enterred my accounts. Otherwise i'm happy.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi.

I found that the update only came when I connected via wifi for a period of time.

I just got 5.9.901 and am restarting now.

cheers.

Is that an accurate reading of the system version number?

It's nowhere near the same numerical sequence for the original ver OR the updated OTA.

Pls check to see if it isn't 5.5.893.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks rrrijah, just spotted that thread after I posted the question.

So, what changes in performance (connectivity or____________?) have you noticed?

rrrijah

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed any differences from 5.5.893 to 5.9.901.

Prior to the update, I was actually quite disappointed in the phone having come from an Incredible 2. Since I just got it as a replacement I wouldn't have been able to replace it for a couple of years. It was almost unusable.

After 5.5.893 I did notice significant differences in:

- (less) freezing or lag
- better connectivity
- the camera is actually usable now. The autofocus is still annoying but the shutter is faster and more photos are in focus.
- faster at startup/shutdown
- battery does last longer.

I do think the phone is functioning now how it was designed too at launch. I went crazy during the 10cent days on android market and installed a bunch of widgets and apps that aren't causing any issues.

Reactions: Tom in Bristol

JJSat10

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I also have the same issues. I replaced my sim card and now it will not update. I will also wait until next week. I am off Xmas week. This will give me plenty of time to do a hard reset and than reinstall everything... If necessary. However, My phone works fine, so I don't even know why I should even bother in the first place. When ice comes out, I presume I will have the same issue, so I might as well reset and start over.

red3213

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
UGH, I think I will connect to my WIFI and leave it hooked up for a while at home tonight before I go through the pain of a hard reset. I just hate to lose everything I have put on the phone already.

So frustrating.

Thank you to all that posted on here to help me and others with the same issue.

Merry Christmas

red3213

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, no luck with the WIFI. So I did a reset with VZW's help. I did lose my apps and games but, nothing that i couldn't replace in an hour or so.

So, i have the first update and then the network crashes. Um, sorry about that. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12