Would you repurchase?

Doherty45

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
To all those that own a Bionic:

I have been following this phone since last February when it was first announced at CES. I was forced by the unlimited data plan ending to purchase a thunderbolt and am looking to upgrade. I can buy a Bionic off craigslist for 250-300, or a rezound, razr, nexus etc for obviously more. For me the bionic is everything I have wanted, dual core, removable battery and sd card, but I want to make sure its a smart purchase. So my question is this: if you had the option to spend another $100, given the issues you may have had with the bionic, would you repurchase? Do you think I would be wiser to buy another phone? Thanks for any and all replies.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had no issues. I would repurchase, and an considering a bionic for an upgrade for my wife. Its between the bionic, razr, and gnex for her with price being the main factor.

Honestly the moto builds impress me a lot more than Samsung, but pure google and the Dev support on gnex are nice.

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way, just figure out your priorities and find the phone that fits.

Doherty45

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and I am definitely leaning very much so toward the bionic, it offers me everything I want, that only the Rezound matches. I love the moto build quality and in reality the HTC phones are the only other ones that feel solid in hand. The only real thing that worries me is the fact that 8/10 (or so it seems) threads on this forum seem to be negative in focus. I just want to know if its really that bad. Thank you again for replying.

Orcares

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The Rezound is a pretty nice phone too. It might be what I would lean to instead of a Bionic, but it would be pretty close. I've been very happy with the Bionic.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Not only would I rebut, I have. I got one for my wife and convinced my brother to buy one. I haven't even thought of another phone since getting this one.

No issues. Couple of things here and there are querky, but nothing really menacing or that can't be fixed with a restart.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i would definitely buy this phone again. i love it. aside from the occasional data drop (which is a verizon thing on ALL 4g lte phones) any other issues i have encountered were caused by user error.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If prices are equal, I'd try the Nexus instead but the Bionic is a great phone -- I think I'd like having a phone that isn't so locked down but then again the Bionic has removable MicroSD...
So, What am I saying?
If you can get the Bionic under $250 I'd say get it but for full price I would choose the Nexus.

jimmybigshot

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
For sure. My wife just got the nexus and I am very happy with the bionic and would buy it again over the nexus for various reasons. Poor speaker... apparently fixed with an app, certain websites when you zoom in to read, the bionic will fit text to screen, the nexus will not. The nexus will drop 3g all the time, mine will not. Screen rotates about 3 seconds after you turn it, and 3 seconds back... annoying.

Bionic for me.

jcrome04

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my bionic. Never regretted buying for a minute.

If you spent $100 extra, or more on another phone, you really aren't getting THAT much more than the Bionic.

I know I've been saying this a lot in this forum lately, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but facts don't lie.. the bionic is consumer reports #1 phone on VZW. And they usually know a thing or two ;)

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
While I really love my bionic I would not repurchase one at this time. The battery life is unacceptable. And the inability to root and shut down apps I will never use is a real issue with me. I realize that both of these problems will be successfully addressed at some point. When they are I would purchase another bionic.
On the other hand the options aren't really any better. The razr is sealed and as such you can't change the battery or the SD card. And it seems to have several of the same issues as the bionic. The Samsung offering also has some opening day issues and for me the Samsung ideas of intuitive are way off base, but that is a personal opionion.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my bionic. Never regretted buying for a minute.

If you spent $100 extra, or more on another phone, you really aren't getting THAT much more than the Bionic.

I know I've been saying this a lot in this forum lately, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but facts don't lie.. the bionic is consumer reports #1 phone on VZW. And they usually know a thing or two ;)

Bionic was #1 for Verizon (77 points) but now Razr is with 79 points. The highest rated smartphone of all is the Samsung Galaxy2 on AT@T with 81 points. I also have the web version and it adds phones faster than the Magazine.

Doherty45

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It seems like you guys are confirming what I suspected to be true - the Bionic is what I want, and as an earlier poster said, more money doesn't really buy more phone.

Can't wait for ICS to come out for this thing, when it can really use the dual cores it will be able to really show what it has under hood.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've been a huge Moto fan. I've had the OG Droid, Droid X, Droid Bionic, and 4G Xoom. When the Nexus came out I got that and sold my Bionic.

I would not buy the Bionic again. However, I would consider a Motorola device when I am ready to upgrade.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Loved my Bionic, switched to the Nexus, haven't looked back. It was mostly for the easy unlocking, sick amount of dev support, and awesomeness of ICS that I switched.

Would I purchase the Bionic going back? Probably not... but the thing is, at that time nobody knew for sure that the Nexus was coming to Verizon, and we had no idea how much of an upgrade ICS would truly be. We were all surprised during that streaming press conference back in october when ICS was revealed, I think a lot of people's decisions weren't made until then.

Even still, it was hard to part with the bionic, I really did love that phone... took a lot of internal debate for me to switch but I am SO happy I did. The build quality of the Nexus is fantastic regardless of what anyone else says, and being able to customize so much is awesome to me. I have had no time for anything else during my leisure time since I got the phone. There are just soo many ROMs and kernels available, so easy to switch them and tweak them, if you're into that kind of stuff and its fun for you its not even close. If you just want a great phone that works very well and all, you could do much worse than the Bionic.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Loved my Bionic, switched to the Nexus, haven't looked back. It was mostly for the easy unlocking, sick amount of dev support, and awesomeness of ICS that I switched.

Would I purchase the Bionic going back? Probably not... but the thing is, at that time nobody knew for sure that the Nexus was coming to Verizon, and we had no idea how much of an upgrade ICS would truly be. We were all surprised during that streaming press conference back in october when ICS was revealed, I think a lot of people's decisions weren't made until then.

Even still, it was hard to part with the bionic, I really did love that phone... took a lot of internal debate for me to switch but I am SO happy I did. The build quality of the Nexus is fantastic regardless of what anyone else says, and being able to customize so much is awesome to me. I have had no time for anything else during my leisure time since I got the phone. There are just soo many ROMs and kernels available, so easy to switch them and tweak them, if you're into that kind of stuff and its fun for you its not even close. If you just want a great phone that works very well and all, you could do much worse than the Bionic.

I may go look the Nexus...my resolve is weak. I originally wanted the Nexus but also wasn't sure Big Red would get it - especially after they opted to skip the Galaxy S2.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
yes, I like the phone. I need to be able to change batteries at a moment's notice, NOT TO MENTION the fact that I can use an extended battery in the Bionic.
I prefer the Razr's screen, but I've opted for removable batteries.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I would get it again. I have the extended battery and it lasts a good long time on it. I'm content with my purchase.

Out of curiosity I went to the VZW store to check out the Nexus. It's neat but overall I'm not really all that impressed by it. ICS is nice.. and we'll have it soon enough.

I also checked out the RAZR, it's nice, but I would still go for my Bionic due to the battery. Now, if the RAZR wasn't a sealed unit I would be hating Moto right now for releasing it so soon after the Bionic's release.

Only things I would change are common requests:
  • Ability to at least remove/hide all bloatware (psst, Verizon, the more you force apps on us, the more I refuse to use said apps)
  • The ability to unlock the bootloader
  • RDP client for WebTop/LapDock

Really I'm curious to see what Moto has in mind for the Bionic's future. Frankly I would love it if Moto would consider it more a test bed type phone over the RAZR.

hiono

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I would probably go with the nexus or even rezound. Rezound for the beats audio huge music freak here lol and nexus for the fact ive wanted one since the one i love the bionic and all its a great phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12