Would you repurchase?

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
If I had a choice, I would have never purchased the Bionic. I've regretted buying that phone ever since I got it this past Sept. Data drops were the least of my problems....have dealt with random battery drains, freezes, BSOD's etc. Now on my second Bionic which thankfully seems ok so far. Bad enough that it took 2+ months for any kind of software update to fix release day issues, I even signed up to be a soak tester and Motorola couldn't even get that right either. Would probably never buy another Moto phone after this.

My advice is to get the Nexus. It's the newest phone with pure Android on it...meaning no manufacturer has messed with the software (ie. Motoblur) Support directly from Google from what I hear is much better.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If I had a choice, I would have never purchased the Bionic. I've regretted buying that phone ever since I got it this past Sept. Data drops were the least of my problems....have dealt with random battery drains, freezes, BSOD's etc. Now on my second Bionic which thankfully seems ok so far. Bad enough that it took 2+ months for any kind of software update to fix release day issues, I even signed up to be a soak tester and Motorola couldn't even get that right either. Would probably never buy another Moto phone after this.

My advice is to get the Nexus. It's the newest phone with pure Android on it...meaning no manufacturer has messed with the software (ie. Motoblur) Support directly from Google from what I hear is much better.

check all the popular Nexus forums if u think the Nexus is trouble-free. every phone has issues.

bj426

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
100% Yes and without question. It's been reliable and everything that I thought it would be and more. 15+hours of battery in and out of 4G with the std. battery... I have the extended one now and I usually have 30% left at the end of the day (unplug around 5:30am)

fast, great everything, removable battery.... truly a solid option.... only thing I'm a little irritated with is the fact that its now half the price I paid three months ago... its a steal at $150 at BestBuy

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely, oh hell yeah. This phone is a beast, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. It's blazing fast, I haven't experienced any of the data drops (except for nationwide outages), very few bsod's, rooted, ROM'd, and loving it. I can't keep my hands off of it. I just spent a few hours getting myself back on the OTA upgrade path (on 901 now, saved a nandroid) and installing Kin3tx with 901 support. I know other people are ing about the locked bootloader, and theoretical lack of dev support, but at the moment I don't mind. I need a replaceable battery and like my external SD card (think I might need a bigger one soon tho).

My wife doesn't understand why I spend so much time with my Bionic. But then again, she has an iPhone...

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish I never got this thing. I had the OG Droid and I was expecting Motorola quality. I was hoping for a phone with SOME metal in its design and solid feel. I was greeted by something that I would not expect to come from Moto. Then there were the mass issues that everyone had (signal, BSOD, crashes galore). If Motorola/Verizon were really testing this thing, half of the issues would've been fixed before it came out.
I got the Nexus, yes its plastic but its a solid feeling phone. The screen is MILES ahead of the Bionic. The bugs aren't really there. I tried finding them, but I couldn't find anything that would make me regret buying it. Only things that are noticeable are the signal and speaker volume. Hey, atleast it doesn't BSOD on me!
I know there will never be a "perfect" launch, but Moto didn't even try with the Bionic. So many screw ups out of the box. That was my signal to get out of Moto and try something else. My mom now has my Bionic and wants my Nexus (She came from the Vortex. Only likes the big screen, nothing else). Someone that isn't even into technology doesn't like it, that's kind of sad. I'll come back to Moto once they can get their act together and hopefully throw out a Nexus device.

DefectiveWeeble

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely buy this again. My husband is even thinking of dropping cash for a Bionic so he can have one. I think the screen is crisp, the battery life has been great, and I honestly haven't had the data dropping issues that everyone else talks about. I've never had anyone complain about call quality, I've not had any issue hearing others, and it's blazing fast, even when I'm on 3G instead of 4G. Like Ldubs said, this phone is a beast. Honestly, if you want it and you are dropping cash on it on Craigslist, you could buy it, and if you don't love it, you could turn around and sell it and get one of the other phones.

I will admit, I felt a little bit of envy when the Razr was first announced, until I heard about the non-removable battery. I like being able to carry a spare battery with me in case of emergencies.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I know about 15 people that bought the Bionic at launch and all have been more than 100% satisfied with the phone. Our IT director bought two of the GNex and has had small issues with them, but that's going to happen when you buy a phone on launch day. I had similar issues with my Incredible that I bought at launch and I'm still using the SAME phone today. Only reason I'm looking to upgrade is bigger screen and front facing camera.

If you are due for an upgrade and want a Bionic, check out Target's website. I have a family plan and mine is the primary line and I can get a Bionic for $119.99.

gunslinger42

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
nope would not buy this phone again, i cant take losing data connectivity constantly, the update fixed it very minorly but not enough to say i love this phone, ive tried other motorola phones, and they just arent my thing, I actually bought myself a g-nex and absolutely love it, im only sticking with samsung and HTC for now on. i loved my incredible to death it was a real trooper

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I know I have said this a lot recently but people with data drop issues after the update... try a factory reset, a new sim card, or freeze bloat. I have had no problems after the update. my phone is perfect now. I am stock rooted with bloat frozen and I factory reset. warning:unfreeze all bloat if you're going to factory reset though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea I don't think I will buy a device with an encrypted bootloader again. They are too easy to brick and get off the upgrade path.

wcbratton

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I would!

I upgraded from the X which was my 1st Droid coming from Blackberry. My Bionic is rooted as of last weekend & now im loving it even more.

Words of another "this thing is a beast"!

rebelguy

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Never in a million years. I had the Bionic for about 3 months and wad plagued with data connection issues, the black screen of death, random reboots and general sluggishness. Luckily I was able to return it through Costco. I ended up with the rezound and have been way happier.

I also checked out the Nexus but was not impressed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae