This is how you make use of that 1080p video

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
So I do semi-professional videography work for my friend's band (and if they're ever playing with other bands I like, I tend to get extra footage for fun :p). I decided I wanted to try to film them using my Bionic camera rather than having to drag around a $3,000 camera downtown at 11PM, and that footage came out terrible because a cell phone can never take good audio. So my good idea...combine both cameras for a dual-camera set-up. In their channel below (which at the moment is all footage I've done), you can see how I used my Bionic's camera to capture shots of mostly the drummer and guitarist, and then the production camera to capture a close shot of the bassist/keyboardist and the rest of the band from a different angle (and the audio is from that camera too lol). Now first, understand that this was shot on the stock camera app, and more recent footage (that hasn't appeared online quite yet) was shot on the Razr/Bionic FRANK3NCAM and has a considerable amount less focus searching. Nevertheless, it was a dark room with some freaky lights anyways, so it played a little bit of tricks on the Bionic anyways. I shot a cool little commercial on the Bionic as well for my school's news show to promote something I was selling at our "Econ Fair." I'll post that up later.
Lol and I'm also indirectly promoting my friends band too, but not much I can do about that because they're usually the only thing I get a chance to film :p

bluesunssb's Channel - YouTube

Anyone shot anything professional looking on their phone? I'm thinking about picking up a tripod mount for mine, and maybe an extra microSD card for shooting purposes.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Awesome man. Looks pretty legit. Wouldn't think it was filmed via cell phone.

Some of it wasn't, but you can see a distinct difference between the two because I need a tripod for the phone lol. But that's the beauty of post-production, it looked pretty terrible before I worked through some basic color correction.

btw, me and a friend of mine (different guy lol) made that graphic in the beginning from scratch, based on the band's logo at the time, in case you were interested. And a good video with a lot of switching between shots (this whole thread is about doing that such thing, using the Bionic camera) is probably Clear the Dance Floor (it's the fastest one, so it takes a lot more switching).

Last edited:

RoyEP3

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that with us. Honestly, it still looks like a typical cell phone shot from the crowd. From an untrained eye, one would think that's how it looked straight from the phone, uneditted. I think that's mainly due because of the POV you're shooting from and the lack of an image stabilizer. But that may have been the look you were going for.

But what really gave it the bionic touch was that dreaded auto-focus! Actually, I was also going to use the bionic to do some simple projects in film class and then do bigger projects with my new Scarlet (yessss!), but after doing some test shots with the bionic, I refuse to represent any of my work with this camera's horrible auto-focus.

Nevertheless, I commend you for making use of your bionic's camera and I'm glad you're able to use it as a backup camera in tight situations.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that with us. Honestly, it still looks like a typical cell phone shot from the crowd. From an untrained eye, one would think that's how it looked straight from the phone, uneditted. I think that's mainly due because of the POV you're shooting from and the lack of an image stabilizer. But that may have been the look you were going for.

But what really gave it the bionic touch was that dreaded auto-focus! Actually, I was also going to use the bionic to do some simple projects in film class and then do bigger projects with my new Scarlet (yessss!), but after doing some test shots with the bionic, I refuse to represent any of my work with this camera's horrible auto-focus.

Nevertheless, I commend you for making use of your bionic's camera and I'm glad you're able to use it as a backup camera in tight situations.

That WAS my test shot lol, with the new Frank3ncam I've been able to get much much better looking shots, with a lot less auto focusing. It's supposed to look a little on the "fan perspective" because me and the band agree that is what they're about, making music and interacting with the fans. I'm going to eventually be getting a tripod mount so I can see how that works, but I just finished editing a few videos from their last performance and there's little to no focus searching (except of course when I myself am moving a lot...the venue was very hard to find good footing and I almost fell over a few times)

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That WAS my test shot lol, with the new Frank3ncam I've been able to get much much better looking shots, with a lot less auto focusing. It's supposed to look a little on the "fan perspective" because me and the band agree that is what they're about, making music and interacting with the fans. I'm going to eventually be getting a tripod mount so I can see how that works, but I just finished editing a few videos from their last performance and there's little to no focus searching (except of course when I myself am moving a lot...the venue was very hard to find good footing and I almost fell over a few times)

What is this "Frank3ncam" you speak of?

I can't stand the continuous focus searching in video. Would love a way to turn off auto focus entirely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87