So, I'm thinking, that since they announced... well, they didn't announce, but we got announcements... a soak test would be underway. That was yesterday I first read about it, and then today we are getting an official update... TO ME, I would think that anyone getting today's update notified via their handset that they are not part of the offically unofficial soak test.

I would assume (and don't tell my son I'm allowing my assumptions to run me) that if they are going to give a soak to only specific individuals who have previously received an email, then they wouldn't have a procedure set up to give them the update via a traditional OTA tickle on there phone as it were. I would think they would give them some sort of website they need to log into, from their phone, and force the update to come down to their phone directly from that site as it can't be as easily intercepted by those outside of the soak test group. Does that make sense?

Thus, my determination is that no one receiving an update via their phone without any kind of initiation brought forth by the user in some secure fashion given them by an email from Verizon.

Just my 2 cents.
    02-07-2012 02:04 PM
    Actually, having participating in a soak test for my Photon, that update came as a regular OTA. During the signup process they ask for your MEID, and that is how they send out to only participating phones.
    02-07-2012 02:28 PM
    If its sent to specific MEIDs, I wonder if there is variation in these test 902s?

It would be nice if the receivers could easily generate some md5 checksums or something of their 902s and post them for comparison. Maybe even start a poll thread to count up the numbers of different variants.
    02-07-2012 03:48 PM
    The entering of some sort of device information came to mind as well, but I didn't think that was a good idea because it is possible that I sign up for the soak, I give my MEID and I then proceed to change my handset out with Verizon for some warranty related item. If that happens, that MEID then goes out to someone else. I sign my NDA and someone else gets the update, thus there is an update that isn't accounted for. We all know how good VZW is about making sure that one hand is talking to the other, and since they have no ability to track phones and where they are, the idea of giving a MEID at signup is a bad one, to me anyway. But, what do I know, I'm just a nerd browsing nerd driven websites during my off time of playing my nerdy games!
    02-08-2012 06:05 AM
    So after a soak test (forgive if this has been answered before) how long does it take for the rest of us to see this update? I dont know how long is it between the test and mass release...
    02-08-2012 08:48 AM
    Probably up to a week normally...could take longer, or shorter.
    Anyways, they use the MEID to know which device to send it to from Verizon
    02-08-2012 09:01 AM
    Probably up to a week normally...could take longer, or shorter.
    Anyways, they use the MEID to know which device to send it to from Verizon
    Well that sux =D Guess ill stop checking for an update every couple of hours then =D
    02-08-2012 09:16 AM
    There's no need to wait for the update if you really want it. Several rooted users grabbed the file before their phone updated and posted it for everyone. There's even a file for those of us that installed the .901 leak! It's a simple matter of downloading the file, dropping it on your SD card, dropping into the stock bootloader and installing it. Check xda, rootzwiki or droidforums.net for links to the update.
    02-08-2012 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD