Installing APK Files

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey All, I am newb as you can tell. I have a Droid Bionic, and I am trying to install files that I got from a Torrent, but I cannot seem to locate them on my SD Card. I take the SD Card out and put it into my Incredible, and the files are there.
Does anyone know, if Motorola has blocked this feature??? I have tried to trouble shoot it, already checked off install from unknown sources, formatted the SD Card, copied the files again to it, Rebooted the phone did the whole thing over and still nothing......So am I missing any other settings. This is my first Motorola Device. so I may not be familiar with all the settings.
Please let me know.
IF this question has been previously answered, please post a link to the thread and I will appreciate your help. Thanks

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They shouldn't be blocked if they are .APK files...I still have the RM radio APK on my phone and I can see it using the stock file manager.

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
try emailing the .apk to the email account on your bionic, then installing it. Or even downloading it directly from your phone.

Not sure why it wouldnt show up though.

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I have tried both ES File Explorer and Astro File manager to view the files on the card, but they are not there. The capacity of the card is reflected to show that the files are there but I can't see them.
I wouldn't have a issue emailing them but the package contains over 4 gigs of data. I was going to use the phone to see what I needed and what I don't.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't have a issue emailing them but the package contains over 4 gigs of data. I was going to use the phone to see what I needed and what I don't.

WOW! 4 gig...what kind of APK is that? Is that one file? I may be way off base here, but, if it's one file then you must have formatted it with like NTFS instead of FAT32 in order to transfer a file larger than 4GB,(I think) I am not a real computer geek. If so I am not sure what file system is compatible with the Bionic because I can't seem to find it anywhere in any specs and I can't take my memory card out right now and pop it into my computer and see how it is formatted. Anyways...just a thought.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey All, I am newb as you can tell. I have a Droid Bionic, and I am trying to install files that I got from a Torrent, but I cannot seem to locate them on my SD Card. I take the SD Card out and put it into my Incredible, and the files are there.
Does anyone know, if Motorola has blocked this feature??? I have tried to trouble shoot it, already checked off install from unknown sources, formatted the SD Card, copied the files again to it, Rebooted the phone did the whole thing over and still nothing......So am I missing any other settings. This is my first Motorola Device. so I may not be familiar with all the settings.
Please let me know.
IF this question has been previously answered, please post a link to the thread and I will appreciate your help. Thanks

On the Motorola using Astro, the external SD card is called /mnt/sdcard-ext - internal storage is (confusingly) called /mnt/sdcard. Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place?

Using Astro, it should default to /mnt/sdcard. There is an up arrow in the toolbar that lets you walk up a level, and from there you should be able to see /mnt/sdcard-ext

Reactions: sardar615

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
On the Motorola using Astro, the external SD card is called /mnt/sdcard-ext - internal storage is (confusingly) called /mnt/sdcard. Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place?

Using Astro, it should default to /mnt/sdcard. There is an up arrow in the toolbar that lets you walk up a level, and from there you should be able to see /mnt/sdcard-ext

Doogald - Thanks, I really appreciate it. :D

That is crazy....That was simple enough. I wonder why Motorola would name it that way, even if the storage in the phone is an SD Card, it should have called it something else so that the user knows.....But that solves my issue. I really appreciate it. And, I learned something new along the way....

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
WOW! 4 gig...what kind of APK is that? Is that one file? I may be way off base here, but, if it's one file then you must have formatted it with like NTFS instead of FAT32 in order to transfer a file larger than 4GB,(I think) I am not a real computer geek. If so I am not sure what file system is compatible with the Bionic because I can't seem to find it anywhere in any specs and I can't take my memory card out right now and pop it into my computer and see how it is formatted. Anyways...just a thought.

Perkdog65, it is a torrent I got of a bunch of apps that have some great emulators, launchers and just good stuff and it is like 4 gigs, so I usually put the whole folder on there, and pick and choose what to install.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech