Backup Assistant

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Backup assistant is not working even though it shows "success" on my Bionic. If I run a manual sync, it takes several minutes, shows the number of contacts and says success.

But, no contacts show up on the Verizon contacts website.

I do not sync anything to Google, so I would like this to work as a backup.

Any ideas why this won't work, why it thinks it is successful and how to fix it?

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
BA started failing on my Bionic after I'd had it for a couple of weeks. I worked with Verizon's tech-support crew for a while and they ended up walking me through a factory reset. It's worked correctly since then, even after reinstalling the apps.

chetqwerty

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
DONT EVER RELY ON BACKUP ASSISTANT!!!! as your finding out its crap. Dude you have a google operating system on your phone thats syncing things all the time anyway just use the contact backup and rid yourself of having to ask questions about how to fix it and worry if your backed-up properly or not. I could think of lots of other reasons not to use BA but i really am not in the typing mood right now.....seriously do yourself a favor and use google and forget about BA. if your interested ill check back to the thread and explain how to get rid of it, make sure your contacts are transferred over and display google contacts only.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
@omie19: +1 on saving contacts to the external SD card, just to have a copy handy, especially before undertaking anything as drastic as a factory reset.

@chetqwerty: for those who use Gmail, synchronizing contacts there makes sense. Others, including the OP, may find that other options work more effectively for them. In my case a goodly number of the contacts are on an Exchange server, so they're already backed up elsewhere. There are a couple dozen that have been directly entered on the phone, and those are happily synchronizing with Backup Assistant at the moment. There are also still quite a few on other platforms, and I will probably end up consolidating everything but the existing Exchange stuff into a private cloud-based service that has a privacy policy I can accept.

As noted above, others may well find that a Gmail-centric solution is ideal for their needs, but it sounds like Gmail isn't going to be part of the mix for the OP, so Android's built-in ability to synchronize with that platform is unlikely ever to be of any use. For now, Backup Assistant is a viable, supported alternative, and that is the context of the original request.

@sbudaj: before you do anything as extreme as a factory reset, you might want to try running BA without WiFi enabled. According to the Verizon techs with whom I spoke, attempting to run it across another network can sometimes create issues. That said, I have WiFi on almost all the time and it's been working fine for several weeks now, so this is more of a troubleshooting tool than a long-term solution.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000