How I wake my Bionic without using the power button

omnidroid

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I am new to Droid (ex iPhone user), my current phone is a Verizon Wireless Droid Bionic running 5.9.902 stock. I spent hours looking for ways to wake it without pressing the power button. Not wanting to root my phone, I came up with the following.

Installed:
Touchdown (for my company exchange mail via push) - not free
No lock (to prevent the phone from locking) - free
Smart Screen Off Pro (to turn the screen on/off) - not free

In Touchdown, I setup alert rules for emails and nagging is turned on. By accident, I discovered that when new emails arrive and while the alert tune is playing, I can press the up/down volume key and the screen will turn on. That's pretty good. I have a shortcut on my home screen so when I get new emails, I press the volume key and then the shortcut and I could read my emails.

Next, I installed No Lock. There are a number of app with similar sounding name and mine is called No Lock by BoD. With is app, I can go directly to my home screen. Without it, I need to swipe my finger after the screen is woken up by Touchdown before I can press my email shortcut. This saves me one step. A bonus with No Lock is that when my phone ring, the screen wake automatically and I just need to press the answer button to start talking.

Lastly, I installed Smart Screen Off Pro (by AndroidHD). You can put you phone face down and it will turn off the screen. When you get a call or email, lift up the phone and the screen will wake. It uses the proximity sensor in conjunction with the light sensor to do that. I only setup my phone to use the proximity sensor and it works pretty good.

I carry my Bionic in a vertical leather pouch and when I put it inside the pouch the screen turns off. When I lift it out, the screen automatically turns on. I can also leave my phone face up on the desk and when it beeps, I just wave my hand over the sensor and that wakes the screen.

Overall, I am happy with my setup. It pretty much eliminate my need to press the power button. Even the volume buttons are used less frequently now.

I am using a stock extended battery. Before I installed this setup, it lasts anywhere from one full day to 1.5 s for emails (20+ daily), phone calls (30-45 min daily) and some light browsing. After installing the programs, I have not seen any significant drain to my battery. It is still lasting me at least a full day. But I don't have a lot extra widgets running either other than a simple clock app that emulates my iPhone :-(0

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well...I've come up with a wonderful way to avoid installing all sorts of software to make my phone wake up when I want it to.

I use the power button. Hasn't failed me yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1