After some time with your phone...help me

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I know that it is probably not the best idea to ask this in a device-specific forum, but I'm asking in all three of them.

I am currently with Sprint and have a Samsung Epic. I love the phone (it is rooted) and HATE the service. I live in middle of Dallas/Ft. Worth, and yet cannot get data service most of the time from my house and work. Sprint says that it is the phone, but I doubt it as everyone I know with Sprint has been having problems. So I am looking for a change....

Back to the subject at hand...Verizon's data is looking the most attractive, even though it limited. The problem is that I can't decide on a device. I am swapping 2 phones, so I'd like to keep the price down. Verizon is currently offering the Bionic for $100 and the LG Spectrum for $100 ($200 but BOGO free and I need two). The Spectrum's screen is FANTASTIC and the Bionic's is horrible (compared to the Epic that we are used to). The Bionic's setup is similar to all the other Driods and seems as if the kinks are worked out. I would also expect to find more support on the forums and from Motorola due to the Driod's popularity, but I could be mistaken. The LG looks a lot like the Touchwiz that we are used to, and on paper is better. It has a better screen and faster processor and although it has less onboard memory, it has 4x what I am used to. My biggest concern is that the phone does not seem popular on the forums. I don't know how LG supports their phones, but with the Samsung I found that the forums had the best support. I'm also concerned that the lack of popularity will limit the rooting options. the battery seems similar for all three phones (MAXX is $300).

My third option (and probably first choice) is actually the RAZR, but it costs twice as much as the other two. Is the cost justifiable? It is frustrating knowing that they had it BOGO free not that long ago.

So, based on your experiences, which phone would you choose and why? Or do you think that I should look at AT&T or Sprint?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Although i love my bionic, if youre looking for support in the community, it would appear as if the bionic is losing its community appeal. And you might hear things about the bionic being "the new red headed stepchild," and to a certain extent, that's true. Moto promises ICS, but from the looks of it, it ain't coming anytime soon. Of course that's speculation, but just my opinion. The bionic seems to be becoming more and more outdates and irrelevant in the eyes of the community. But it's still an amazing phone, just as it is. The major kinks have indeed been worked out.

Reactions: 5111

tennvol

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Only you can make up your mind. I'm happy with my bionic because its easy to see in the sunlight.

No one here can tell you what will work for you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The Bionic is a great phone. The development community is a little stale, but we do have some good ROMs, and the TH3ORY team is really trying to support the Bionic/Droid 3/Droid 4/Razr. The Nexus would be a good choice as well, as it has a fantastic screen. The Razr is all-around a great phone, but you have to deal with the non-removable battery (making the MAXX a much smarter choice). Do remember that since you are a new customer, that a third party supplier like Amazon, Newegg, or Costco would actually be a cost-reducer because they might give you the phone for much cheaper (Amazon has the Maxx listed at $200 for a new customer). Meaning any phone you could get much cheaper there, if you still were sold on the Bionic. I wouldn't go with LG as they aren't well supported as much as Motorola phones are (well, mostly the Razr), and the Galaxy Nexus is very well supported obviously. Also, I've heard the Rezound is a nice device as well.
In the end it's really about what you want. The Bionic is basically a thicker, less supported Razr at this point. It's an extremely capable phone, and I currently enjoy it very much. The Razr has an AMOLED screen, much like your Samsung you currently have. The Galaxy Nexus is very well supported, especially by the community, has one of the best screens on the market, and is already updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. The Rezound is getting an ICS update, has a nice screen, comes with Beats, and is all around a pretty nice device as well.
In a month or two, we'll have more choice too. I'm not sure we'll get a One X, but we will have a new Samsung and Motorola device.

Reactions: 5111

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
The Bionic is a great phone. The development community is a little stale, but we do have some good ROMs, and the TH3ORY team is really trying to support the Bionic/Droid 3/Droid 4/Razr. The Nexus would be a good choice as well, as it has a fantastic screen. The Razr is all-around a great phone, but you have to deal with the non-removable battery (making the MAXX a much smarter choice). Do remember that since you are a new customer, that a third party supplier like Amazon, Newegg, or Costco would actually be a cost-reducer because they might give you the phone for much cheaper (Amazon has the Maxx listed at $200 for a new customer). Meaning any phone you could get much cheaper there, if you still were sold on the Bionic. I wouldn't go with LG as they aren't well supported as much as Motorola phones are (well, mostly the Razr), and the Galaxy Nexus is very well supported obviously. Also, I've heard the Rezound is a nice device as well.
In the end it's really about what you want. The Bionic is basically a thicker, less supported Razr at this point. It's an extremely capable phone, and I currently enjoy it very much. The Razr has an AMOLED screen, much like your Samsung you currently have. The Galaxy Nexus is very well supported, especially by the community, has one of the best screens on the market, and is already updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. The Rezound is getting an ICS update, has a nice screen, comes with Beats, and is all around a pretty nice device as well.
In a month or two, we'll have more choice too. I'm not sure we'll get a One X, but we will have a new Samsung and Motorola device.

I must be the most impatient guy on earth when it comes to getting new tech, but (although easier said and done) waiting just might be the best choice at the moment. Especially with rumors of a Galaxy SIII coming out, and specifically for Verizon the HTC Droid Incredible 4g (believed to be a variant of the One S). And yea, I was also going to mention beforehand that the Rezound is a great device. It was only 50 bucks from Verizon last week, though I don't know if that deal still stands. But it is a great device.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I must be the most impatient guy on earth when it comes to getting new tech, but (although easier said and done) waiting just might be the best choice at the moment. Especially with rumors of a Galaxy SIII coming out, and specifically for Verizon the HTC Droid Incredible 4g (believed to be a variant of the One S). And yea, I was also going to mention beforehand that the Rezound is a great device. It was only 50 bucks from Verizon last week, though I don't know if that deal still stands. But it is a great device.

The Incredible 4G should be a great device, just as it's predecessors (although the Incredible II was great, it wasn't up to spec for the time it was released. My friend has one and hates it. But he got the thing for free so I'm not sure why he's complaining).
Motorola and Samsung need to combat the One X. How will they do that? Amazing phones. We're going to see some within the next few months, they have to or they'll lose everyone to HTC and their awesome phone.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
For me device specific features, e.g., a great radio, ability to use in sunlight, removable battery and storage, front and rear cameras, 4G,, good speakerphone, etc, etc, are what brought me to the Bionic. Community support is always nice, but for some reason I always seem to pick the red headed stepchild. Treo 600, BB Storm, Droid 2, Bionic. And as nice as community support is, it's less important to me than having the features I really need and want. Even the OS isn't as important as device features and getting my work done in the least amount of time and hassle. The Bionic has been great in that regard.

sorli

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Tough call now leaning to the Bionic as a future option and sadly it is getting less and less support.. My present ICS support comes from the latest SpearmintGum has shown excellent improvements all provided by the hacker community and with no help from Motorola or Verizon.

Sadly for many of us Bionic users this lack of support means we'll leaving Motorola and moving over to greener pastures provided by Samsung and practically anyone else.

All Moto and VZ need to do is release and Official ICS build for the Bionic and just step back and allow the community to fix it. I'm still hopeful but have no plans and certainly won't throw more money up a hogs axx. Sorli...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're buying a phone because you're worried about future updates, you're buying a phone for the wrong reasons. If updates are that important to you, buy a Galaxy Nexus - end of story.

This is a business. Manufacturers want you buying new hardware.

That said, I love my DROID Bionic - coming from the original DROID, overclocked and Gingerbread courtesy of the great Peter Alfonso. I don't feel the need to hack my Bionic. It's plenty fast and has enough memory for my use.

I always say to buy the best phone for you when you're ready to buy a phone - don't wait for something better because you're always going to be waiting.