Why is Verizon treating the Bionic like a step child?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The ICS updates aren't in the same timeframe as the RAZR despite having very similar hardware.

Their new Droid Does commercial makes no mention of the Bionic, but it does the RAZR, RAZR MAXX and the Droid 4.

I just don't get it. Is Verizon just wanting this device to die, so they push new hardware out and then determine if it's in their best interest to release ICS for it?

At this point, I'm going to just move my # back to AT&T for the One X and forget Verizon.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My problem is it isn't Verizon per se who is treating it like the step child but Motorola. At this point we can only have faith we won't be left behind. I can only hope that this is the case.

Overall I'm happy w/my phone, yes I want ICS like you and want it badly.

On the Verizon thing, the easiest way to look at it is this:
Droid 4 - February 10, 2012
RAZR MAXX - January 26, 2012
RAZR - November 11, 2011
Bionic - Sept 8, 2011

So if you just did the last 3, which they seem to do, we miss that cutoff on the advertising.

Smile and be happy.. you could have a Droid 3 or the Droid X2... if we're the redheaded stepchild those 2 phones must feel like stray dogs.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on my Bionic. I used it for a few days last week. I gave it up when the damn screen went black and I couldn't get it to come back on. I would hit the power button and the led would flash green and that's it.

Neither Motorola or VZW have given the Bionic any attention.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
There are 9 phones and 5 tablets on VZ's ICS update list. Just because the Bionic didn't get it first doesn't mean they consider us a step child. By doing the Razr they get two phones in one shot, maybe that's why they're doing it first.

What I don't understand is why the Thunderbolt is on the list but the Charge isn't.

And the Rhyme. Really VZ, does the Rhyme deserve ICS and the Charge doesn't?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is why the Thunderbolt is on the list but the Charge isn't.

And the Rhyme. Really VZ, does the Rhyme deserve ICS and the Charge doesn't?

That's the difference between HTC and Samsung. HTC promises to update the Rhyme, TBolt, and Incredible 2, Samsung wants to update only Galaxy S2 phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on my Bionic. I used it for a few days last week. I gave it up when the damn screen went black and I couldn't get it to come back on. I would hit the power button and the led would flash green and that's it.

Neither Motorola or VZW have given the Bionic any attention.

I don't see what your issues have to do with Verizon treating the Bionic like a step-child.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The ICS updates aren't in the same timeframe as the RAZR despite having very similar hardware.

Their new Droid Does commercial makes no mention of the Bionic, but it does the RAZR, RAZR MAXX and the Droid 4.

I just don't get it. Is Verizon just wanting this device to die, so they push new hardware out and then determine if it's in their best interest to release ICS for it?

At this point, I'm going to just move my # back to AT&T for the One X and forget Verizon.

You're going off information on a leaked list.

Verizon and Motorola has said the Bionic is getting ICS. We just don't know when.

For those wanting official ICS, I'd rather be a Bionic owner than a DROID Charge owner.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The thing is, is that RAZR owners can get all warm and fuzzy inside because there's been ICS leaks.. I think 2 have leaked out..

Where is the Bionic leak?!!? :(

For a previous "high end" device, there's 0 advertising(and really no where as close to as much advertising the RAZR is getting), and once the RAZR came out, Verizon pretty much nipped the Bionic in the bud..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, is that RAZR owners can get all warm and fuzzy inside because there's been ICS leaks.. I think 2 have leaked out..

For a previous "high end" device, there's 0 advertising(and really no where as close to as much advertising the RAZR is getting), and once the RAZR came out, Verizon pretty much nipped the Bionic in the bud..

If the Bionic was released on-time, would you be surprised at how they're supposedly treating it now?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
If the Bionic was released on-time, would you be surprised at how they're supposedly treating it now?

Both the RAZR and Bionic have a 540x960 pixel display. Both have the Ti OMAP 4430 CPU(RAZR's slightly higher Mhz). Both have 1GB DDR ram. Both have the same "moto blur" or whatever you want to call it interface.(RAZR has Smartactions, whatever)

RAZR runs 2.3.6, Bionic runs 2.3.4

Both have the same Android system file structure.

Aside from the display differences, Motorola could theoretically develop the UI for both devices simultaneously, there's really no excuse other than Verizon telling Moto to develop for the RAZR first and make us step children wait..

You ask "Why would Verizon/Motorola want to do this?" - to keep us happy.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure once Motorola releases their next high end phone, RAZR owners might not be feeling the love they do right now. Motorola doesn't seem to have much of a problem ignoring "yesterdays" phone.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Bionic expecting nothing more than I got in the box, because despite the dubious "reports" that people pick up all the time, the only guarantee is what the phone had on it when I unpacked it.

Time to readjust your expectations from what you WANT to what you HAVE, I think. If you were all fired up about ICS, you should have waited for the GNex...I think it had been announced as coming by the time the Bionic went on the market.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
If I were Verizon, I'd be interested in downplaying the Bionic just because it was one of the worst-handled releases ever, and I'd hate being reminded of that fact.

However, I'm not Verizon, and wasn't looking for a phone while all of the Bionic drama was happening. When the Pre needed to be replaced I looked around and saw what would otherwise have been a top-tier phone that had something of a tarnished reputation due to some 1.0 jitters. I was able to pick up a refurbished unit for something like $30, and in light of the aforementioned jitters that was exactly what I wanted: a device that had already been field-tested, then reviewed for adherence to factory specs. I had to replace the first one due to a problem with the ear speaker, but the replacement has been bombproof.

Yes, of course, as a WebOS junkie I'm eagerly anticipating ICS, but I was and am underwhelmed by the hardware specs on the Galaxy Nexus, which would also have cost 10 times what I ended up paying. For now I have some amazing hardware and the opportunity to poke around a bit in a somewhat clunky (2.3.4) but freewheeling (rooting and flashing were not available in the WebOS world) environment, so I'm having fun while I wait.

Last edited:

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Bionic is just that... A step-child. And for both Motorola and Verizon. It is by far the worst release out of any smart phone device I have ever seen. The phone was delayed for 8-9 months before release. First they switched out the Tegra 2 processor for the TI one. Then They re-designed the form factor. Albeit, rightfully so because of what had happened to the HTC Thunderbolt. But a 9 month delay for this.. they should have completely scrapped it and went ahead with the RAZR instead.

I'm so happy to get rid of it for a RAZR MAXX. Best decision ever! After 3 replacement bionics, Verizon caved in and gave me an option for the HTC Rezound, Galaxy Nexus, or the RAZR. After convincing them over the phone for a good 20 min, I was able to have them issue me out a RAZR MAXX for an additional $50 (Guju power couldn't get it any lower).

Also, I wouldn't knock the Nexus. Yeah the hardware specs are a bit underwhelming, but vanilla ICS and an unlocked bootloader is so worth it!

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It is the step child.

They claim they will update the Bionic, but I'm sure they will drop its status to pending or some other nonsense as soon as they realize that it isn't a priority.

I dropped that thing as soon as the Nexus came. If I were you, I'd find a way to get rid of that phone ASAP.

And in all honesty, they arent required to update the phone to a new version of the OS. So if they feel like they didn't sell enough of the Bionics, they'll simply scrap the update altogether.

I sadly feel like they will.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome