Seidio 3500mAh battery & the Bionic

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
I got my Seidio super-extended battery in the mail a few days ago. The fit and finish is great, I'm having one issue though.

My reported battery life is terrible, it seems worse, or at best, the same as my standard.

Last night at 9:45ish I noticed my battery was at 5% had been up and unplugged since 7:30 yesterday morning. Which isn't bad at all, but it's terrible for a 3500mAh battery. I'm only on 3G, no LTE coverage around here, so I keep it turned off. So I decided, I'll just kill it, play with my phone hard until it shuts itself off to prevent damage to the battery. Well somewhere around midnight, I gave up, that's around two hours on supposedly 5% battery life, and it was still reporting 5% when I got done. I had my phone tethered to my Xoom, was streaming Pandora, and was switching off between 3 or 4 games constantly, with screen brightness at max.

I am going to assume it's just being reported wrong, which is kind of a let down, is there any way to modify anything to allow this to report properly? I feel like it would be at kernel level.. and I know with Moto phones that's impossible :( Can anyone give me any kind of tips/pointers or give me some info on what's going on?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I think that this a common problem with non-stock battery packs. However, the way to calibrate the battery is to use it to the point where is warns that it is about out of power,or as close as you can. Perhaps it takes a couple of cycles of this to fully determine battery life?

Anyway, use it as long as possible, charge it full - make sure to leave it on the charger until it is fully charged (it may be better to do so while you are sleeping, with the phone powered down). See if the phone calibrates itself to the battery life.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
I think that this a common problem with non-stock battery packs. However, the way to calibrate the battery is to use it to the point where is warns that it is about out of power,or as close as you can. Perhaps it takes a couple of cycles of this to fully determine battery life?

Anyway, use it as long as possible, charge it full - make sure to leave it on the charger until it is fully charged (it may be better to do so while you are sleeping, with the phone powered down). See if the phone calibrates itself to the battery life.

Well I never had this problem on my Incredible :( It's just kind of frustrating I guess.

I'm going to keep using it because I do know that the phone battery will last longer regardless of what the battery meter says in my pulldown tray.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 4000 mah Ferocity battery off ebay. It works as advertised as long as I charge it in the external charger that came with it. Then it lasts 2 - 3 days. Problem is, as was mentioned above, by mid afternoon of the first day it's at 5% and warning me to charge it. Kind of sucks if you need the phone to make/take business calls, you never really know when it's going to go.

And charging it in the phone is no good, it seems to charge it to about the same level of charge of the stock battery and then says it's fully charged.

And of course, there are no cases that fit.

All in all a frustrating experience. I'm glad I only paid $10 for it. I think I'll just keep the standard size battery and carry a spare with me.

tennvol

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My dad had a siedio extended battery on his OG and when the meter ran low he rebooted the phone and it restarted with a full charge.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Try using an app like Battery Monitor. It can calculate the battery life based on reported voltage level rather than what the battery reports. So long as the battery reports its correct voltage then you should get accurate to the 1% charge. Oh, it reports charge to 1% rather than Motorola's 10%.

Hope this helps with your problem.

Scott

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
There's also an app called "battery calibration" or something along those lines that deletes the battery file and creates a new one. Charge the battery to full, run the app and reboot. You should see a difference. I did that when I went from the stock Bionic battery to the VZW extended battery. Been working great ever since.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Good catch. I'd forgotten about that! Used it a long time ago, before I got Battery Monitor.

Scott

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2