Copying SD card to another?

rayxxxle

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I want to change my sd card from the 8 gig that came with the phone, to a 32 gig class 10 sdhc. Can I use a computer to copy the 8 gig card over to the 32, or is there a different/better way to do it?

Thanks,
Errol

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Format the new card using gparted; FAT32 is the preferred format for most, but others are possible if your ROM handles them. Copy your files to your computer, then copy to the new SD card.

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Should be fine, I would think. I also picked up a 32GB Class 10 card and copied everything over earlier this week. No issues so far. I'll be surprised if you have any, but it's still a good idea to leave all the data on the old card for a while.

The only tip I can think of is this: if you have a card reader on your computer, you can plug both in at the same time and copy the files directly. It's a lot quicker than copying the contents from the old one to your hard drive, then copying from the hard drive to the new card.

How did you end up with an 8GB card? I was under the impression that they all shipped with 16GB ones.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Another alternative would be to USB connect your Bionic to your computer, open as a flash drive, and put your other card into a card reader (doesn't matter which card is in which device). Then drag/drop the data from the 8 GB to the 32 GB card. I only mention this because some computers only have one card reader slot that fits.

rayxxxle

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all,
The bionic came with the 8 gig card, my old X had a 16. Got the files transferred. I now have a different problem with mnt/sdcard and mnt/sdcard-ext. I will start a different thread for that one.
again, thanks
Errol

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all,
The bionic came with the 8 gig card, my old X had a 16. Got the files transferred. I now have a different problem with mnt/sdcard and mnt/sdcard-ext. I will start a different thread for that one.
again, thanks
Errol
A good formatting would probably fix that, unless an ext partition is created by an automated script in a custom ROM.

shoved

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I found that I had to format the new card in the phone. Once I had done that, it worked just fine. (I copied all the files from the old card to a folder on a Mac, using Finder - I had to skip the hidden file .fseventsd; then I copied them all back to the freshly-formatted new card).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet