$100 rebate link

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
That's good news indeed. I think Google recognized they needed to do something to assure their customers who have seen such poor update history from them.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Can we just get ICS first??

Has anyone verified that this is actually Motorola? Don't want to give out my info to just anyone.

Thanks.

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It was announced during Motorola's event today. Frankly, I will wait until they give us the info on which devices are updating before signing up. I'm pretty sure the Bionic will be on the rebate list, but they might surprise me.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It was announced during Motorola's event today. Frankly, I will wait until they give us the info on which devices are updating before signing up. I'm pretty sure the Bionic will be on the rebate list, but they might surprise me.

Did you click on the drop-down list for Model/Carrier?

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think Motorola (and of course Verizon) would rather have you buy a new phone and give you $100 off than update the Bionic!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Heh-heh...anyone else find it amusing that this is a Google/Moto Rebate Plan, rather than one from VZW?!?

Not really. Samsung's trade-in rebate was done by Samsung.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Not really. Samsung's trade-in rebate was done by Samsung.

Beat me to it RY

One other thing is that Samsungs was a sliding scale depending on the device, and it could have been any Device IF you bought one of three different samsung phones

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it's retroactive. Meaning, I'm going to bite on the RAZR HD Dev (or better yet if they do a RAZR MAXX HD Dev hands down) once it's released. Unlockable moto phone backed by google. Who WOULDN'T want one? :) If they haven't decided on JB support by the time I buy one, I wonder if I'll be able to get the 100 bucks back since I'm buying one of their new toys.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In all honestly, the Bionic and Photon are the likely phones that are scheduled to get ICS that probably won't get Jelly Bean.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this will apply to buying an unsubsidized phone. I'll be paying full price next time to keep my unlimited plan.

carzaddict

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
before everyone gets excited that motorola is doing something nice, i feel like this is going to turn into such a mess

1) they specified MOST but not ALL phones that came out in 2011...bionic might get screwed.
2) they havent specified dates as to when you can start annoying them about getting credit...for all we know this program can start in 2014. they havent even given dates to most of their ICS rollouts
3) I think (i may be wrong) that you need ICS first before you can upgrade to JB
4) they havent specified which carriers will participate. One of the reasons verizon is one of the last ones to get software updates is because they go through vigorous testing before they do a roll out.......for all we know, verizon might not even take part in this

im sorry to say, i dont think Bionic is getting JB

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
1) they specified MOST but not ALL phones that came out in 2011...bionic might get screwed.

Either we get JB or the $100 thing. So either frankly is a win.

2) they havent specified dates as to when you can start annoying them about getting credit...for all we know this program can start in 2014. they havent even given dates to most of their ICS rollouts

True, they do need more communication on this - which has been a big weak spot on the part of Motorola, they REALLY need to beef it up.

3) I think (i may be wrong) that you need ICS first before you can upgrade to JB

This is true, ICS is a prerequisite.

4) they havent specified which carriers will participate. One of the reasons verizon is one of the last ones to get software updates is because they go through vigorous testing before they do a roll out.......for all we know, verizon might not even take part in this

The carrier is of no consequence. Samsung has done similar things. Also, if you go to the link provided in the OP, Verizon/Bionic is explicitly listed.

I think the Bionic will be getting JellyBean personally - but one thing Motorola should do is follow up! They are on Twitter, FaceBook, have their own forums (which I got the link from) - they are not short on ways to communicate, they need to use them and use them for doing more than bragging about the latest "shiny".

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Can we just get ICS first??

I'll never understand why some people will spend 100x more time on a forum flapping their jaws about "Where's the update?" than it takes to root your phone and flash an updated ROM.

Can anyone answer this mystery for me? Cause I'm confused... :confused:

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll never understand why some people will spend 100x more time on a forum flapping their jaws about "Where's the update?" than it takes to root your phone and flash an updated ROM.

Can anyone answer this mystery for me? Cause I'm confused... :confused:

Fear mostly. To use a skiing analogy, updating would be skiing out of bounds and if you trigger/get caught in an avalanche you're screwed, so it's easier to gripe about why the ski run doesn't include that territory.

I've been seriously vacillating on whether to install 242.. back and forth in self torture since last night.