Frustrated.....

lritch

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have read many of the threads on here and I see that many others are frustrated as I am with the Bionic. What a letdown by Moto. I purchased my phone when the phone came out and have had issues with it since then. I was a sucker and listened to both VZW reps and Moto when I called about my problems with the phone. They would continue to tell me to wait for the next update which would fix the data connectivity issue amongst some other things. I have now had I believe 3 or 4 updates and continue to have this issue. It is ridiculous. i could be sitting right next to another VZW customer with a different (older) phone and they get service but I don't.....grrrr. Didn't they promote the Bionic as "Rule Everything" phone. Ummm....yea right! Recently I contacted VZW again and was told that I had 3 options 1. Try another Factory Reset. 2. They would send another replacement Bionic. 3. Replace Bionic with HTC Rezound or Moto razr. I said those phones wouldnt work since I have and use the extended battery on my phone and wish to keep that longer battery life. They then offered the Razr MAXX but it would cost me another $100.....ummm hello. I paid $300 for a device and pay $130+ a month for a device that I can't use half the time and now you want me to pay another $100 for a MAXX. VZW I don't get it. Very frustrating....I have been anti-Iphone but I am beginning to believe that will be the best option in the future for me to switch to :(

mwohrlin

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are used to the Android OS, you will be disappointed with IOS. Have you tried the ICS leak? I did on mine and it was like night and day. ICS is way better than stock GB. I dont know why it is taking so long to release the official OTA. They are saying it will happen this month.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone will have that same extended battery problem (though, admittedly, there will likely be some third party solutions out there for the iPhone 5, as there are for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.)

I had the Bionic for just short of two weeks and noticed the same problem that you did - that where I would always get a great 3G signal, I was getting no signal with the Bionic. I have since learned that this is no unexpected, has to do with the fact that the radio does 3G differently from a standard, 3G phone, and that the situation will improve as the LTE network rolls out. However, I decided that I could not wait that long and returned the Bionic for a Droid 3 until my next upgrade - then I will switch to an LTE phone.

I have read that the people who have installed the leaked ICS install for the Bionic have reported that the network problems that plagued this phone seem to be minimized, if not completely gone. There is supposed to be an ICS update for the Bionic any week now, so I'd wait to see if the update comes and, if so, if the problems you are experiencing continue. If the ICS update continues to be delayed (it was promised "early Q3" a couple of months ago, so is definitely late) or the problems continue after the update, and if a long battery life is important for you, I'd suggest taking Verizon up on the $100 offer for the Razr Maxx - you will be getting a brand new phone after a full year of using a Bionic that is now out of warranty. That seems like a fair deal to me.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
at this point in time, no one knows how well the iPhone is going to hold onto a 4G signal--it's Apple's first 4G phone. FYI: NOTHING "rules". it's a question of buying the phone that best suits YOU. good luck.

Hale34

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
If you can't switch phones then I would suggest an ICS leak. I recently went with that myself (couldn't take the data drops/verizon wanting me to factory reset again) and my data drop issue has vanished. The phone seems to run a bit faster, and so far I haven't had any problems at all.

I followed these instructions but I'm sure you could find something similar on these forums [GUIDE] Easiest Step-By-Step Tutorial For Upgrading Your Bionic To ICS - xda-developers Was up and running in 20-30 minutes. :)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you can't switch phones then I would suggest an ICS leak. I recently went with that myself (couldn't take the data drops/verizon wanting me to factory reset again) and my data drop issue has vanished. The phone seems to run a bit faster, and so far I haven't had any problems at all.
ICS fully utilizes both cores, unlike GB, and also up clocks from 1 GHz to 1.2 GHz, so it is quite a bit faster. I'm loving the ICS leak with that, data fixed, and removal of BLUR.

To the OP, I didn't thank your post. Apparently the AC Forums app did it for me without even bringing up that option on my screen. XD

Hale34

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this is just me, but I would not reward them with $100 more. You should have gotten good service to begin with. It sounds like you never have gotten good service.

They really should be doing whatever they can to get you into a spot where you have good service. The service that they love to brag about.

As a Verizon customer for many years I have to say: Keep giving them hell or they will never do anything for you, ever.

But there's good news. I just saved hours of talking to Verizon by switching to leaks. :)

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this is just me, but I would not reward them with $100 more. You should have gotten good service to begin with. It sounds like you never have gotten good service.

They really should be doing whatever they can to get you into a spot where you have good service. The service that they love to brag about.

As a Verizon customer for many years I have to say: Keep giving them hell or they will never do anything for you, ever.

But there's good news. I just saved hours of talking to Verizon by switching to leaks. :)

I agree with you on this one Hale. I switched to ICS leaks shortly after I received my Bionic because I'm always willing to try the latest leak on the ICS just to see what it is. I have not had any issues with my phone with data drops but I do wish that they would go ahead and release the OTA for ICS already. I wish people would give Verizon hell over this Share Everything plan. It's stupid. I was thinking about going with one of those plans and going off of my unlimited data until I realized that it would not save me any money at all. In fact, it would cost me more to go with any of the Share Everything plans. I figure that I'll stay with Verizon until my contract expires and then switch to a prepaid plan. That way, I can keep an unlimited data plan as well as save money on my cell phone. I'm getting tired of Verizon jerking their loyal customers around.

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the "get the leak" group.
Jumped the clock speed up to 1.2 ghz.
Way better battery life
ICS is a much nicer interface
Data issues GONE!!
Let's me run Google Now
I am on 6.7.244 and don't all all regret being "stuck" because I would never go back.
It really is a night and day difference....
IMHO.
Just look at the house of Bionic post below yours to get the leak.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I accidentally found out you can now take screen shots built into the Bionic on ICS. I grabbed the phone and it tried to slip from my hand. When I caught it, I heard a camera shutter sound effect and it said screen shot taken. I know I pressed the power and one or both of the volume buttons when I caught it, but I've yet to replicate the screen shot pattern. Doh!

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. Press and hold first the power button, then the volume down button together for a few seconds to take the screenshot.

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It has also been confirmed that the iPhone5 will not do both LTE data and voice simultaneously, which would keep me from using it as an option.

That and I don't do Apple.

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the "get the leak" group.
Jumped the clock speed up to 1.2 ghz.
Way better battery life
ICS is a much nicer interface
Data issues GONE!!
Let's me run Google Now
I am on 6.7.244 and don't all all regret being "stuck" because I would never go back.
It really is a night and day difference....
IMHO.
Just look at the house of Bionic post below yours to get the leak.

Hmm.. did you compare the battery life of the 244 leak to 232 leak? If this is the case then maybe I'll do the same. Battery on 232 is a major pain. I am starting to doubt ICS will be released in the next couple of weeks.

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

I followed these instructions but I'm sure you could find something similar on these forums [GUIDE] Easiest Step-By-Step Tutorial For Upgrading Your Bionic To ICS - xda-developers Was up and running in 20-30 minutes. :)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

I'm interested in doing this. It seems like the author wants to get you to .905 first tho. Since I'm already running .905 rooted can I just start off at step 12 thru 16??

Thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's the way I did it, just make sure the battery is fully charged first. I also cleared the system cache (I believe you'll see that option in the recovery menus and can do that first). Some people have done full factory resets to wipe all apps and data to start the upgrade with a "clean" phone. I don't know if that is really needed, and I didn't have any issues with my upgrade, but I guess it couldn't hurt to reset first.

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mooncatt. Yeah, I did it!! Worked like a charm. Didn't reall have any issues just got tried of waiting.

Getting used to everything now. Any recommended ROM? I'm trying to get rid of a lot of the bloatware.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm just running stock, so I couldn't help you on ROM's, but you have the option in ICS to disable bloatware. Go into the app settings. First, you'll need to uninstall updates of the ones you want disabled (if applied, if not, you'll see the next step right away), which will help you save some space. Then go back into that app in the app settings and the button will have now changed to say "Disable". Click it and it stops the app from running and using resources, and it wont show in your app drawer anymore.

To reverse the process, go to the app settings, then the all apps tab, then scroll to the very bottom and you'll see the disabled apps below the rest.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have read many of the threads on here and I see that many others are frustrated as I am with the Bionic. What a letdown by Moto. I purchased my phone when the phone came out and have had issues with it since then. I was a sucker and listened to both VZW reps and Moto when I called about my problems with the phone. They would continue to tell me to wait for the next update which would fix the data connectivity issue amongst some other things. I have now had I believe 3 or 4 updates and continue to have this issue. It is ridiculous. i could be sitting right next to another VZW customer with a different (older) phone and they get service but I don't.....grrrr. Didn't they promote the Bionic as "Rule Everything" phone. Ummm....yea right! Recently I contacted VZW again and was told that I had 3 options 1. Try another Factory Reset. 2. They would send another replacement Bionic. 3. Replace Bionic with HTC Rezound or Moto razr. I said those phones wouldnt work since I have and use the extended battery on my phone and wish to keep that longer battery life. They then offered the Razr MAXX but it would cost me another $100.....ummm hello. I paid $300 for a device and pay $130+ a month for a device that I can't use half the time and now you want me to pay another $100 for a MAXX. VZW I don't get it. Very frustrating....I have been anti-Iphone but I am beginning to believe that will be the best option in the future for me to switch to :(

..doesn't the Rezound have a removable battery? :)