Initial Impressions of OTA .246

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Much improved look, but I am having some performance issues.

My phone is slower after the update. My email program, Touchdown, takes about 10 seconds to open. The text messaging app is lagging.

Do I need to do a factory reset?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
My system is taking some time to incorporate all of the details of the environment (notes widget was blank for a while -- that sort of thing). I had to reboot as part of rerooting (Voodoo OTA, followed by permissions changes from Titanium Backup); not sure whether the reboot is what cleaned things up, but it's all catching up with itself now.

ICS isn't WebOS, but it's a significant improvement over Gingerbread. I need to rebuild some home screens (for example, one of the GB screens was basically a bunch of app folders; the upgrade cleared it completely) and change a widget or two, but I'm going to live with a fairly stock experience for a bit to pick up on the philosophy of the OS.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
My system is taking some time to incorporate all of the details of the environment (notes widget was blank for a while -- that sort of thing).

I agree, it does seem to be improving with time. The second reboot also seemed to help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The phone certainly needs time to adjust. Use it normally for the next three days.

If there are still hiccups, I'd do a factory reset.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm liking the ability to drop groups of apps into the Favorites tray, where they are available from any screen.

Tasker seems to be having some trouble knowing how to do its thing in the new environment: enabling and disabling GPS when appropriate, handling lock screens and the like. Not a huge problem, just different. I'm amazed, in fact, at how well most apps seem to have come across: my Backgammon game even remembered the score from our current match!

I've hidden a few clutterware apps, but am not sure how to get them back if I decide later that I need them. Apps / Options / Manage apps / All doesn't show them. Maybe I successfully deleted them!

It didn't occur to me until the upgrade was already underway that I should probably have unfrozen the apps in Titanium Backup. I guess I can now unfreeze and disable them; I'll give that a try over the weekend.

ETA: Unfreezing and disabling does work. And I was so close: Apps / Options / Manage apps / All, then look at the bottom of the list for the disabled apps. Live and learn!

EATA: Titanium Backup's freezing mechanism seems to be pretty much the same as ICS' disabling mechanism. Apps frozen in TB show up as disabled in the app manager, and vice versa. There are a few things that can't be disabled at the OS level (e.g., Emergency Alerts), but they can still be frozen in TB.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The RAZR community has some sluggish performance and battery issues after ICS and a factory reset fixed the issue for most.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have been on ICS 246, since last night, and I can tell you it Rocks compared to GB.

I agree with Ry, give it a day to settle, and if you still have issues, do a factory reset.

I have been on the ICS leaks for several weeks, and am now back on the OTA path thanks to Sam and the HOB.

But the best things I have found are:

1. Imporved Battery Life
2. Data stability - 0 data loss issues since I have been on ICS
3. Speed - it overclocked the phone's to 1.2 GHz
4. Touch screen improvements

Overall a huge improvement, and I can't wait until SamuirHL and the HOB gets his hands on the JB leaks.

MaverickJedi

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Had the OTA waiting for me when I woke up today, and installed right away. After I did, everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - would case the phone to freeze up and reboot itself. Phone would function for 5 min and then reboot. No calls in/out, no access to text messaging at all. Ended up doing a factory reset, now everything is running great aside from needing to reconfigure all of my screens. On the bright side, it was the perfect excuse to switch over to NOVA Launcher. Aside from the PITA of a reset, all is well!

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
after a major os ota its recommended to do a factory reset, had to do it with my maxx and rezound.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
after a major os ota its recommended to do a factory reset, had to do it with my maxx and rezound.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Is there anyway to keep my game saves? I tried SaveShare, but it isn't compatible with most of the games on my Bionic. (without rooting)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

JiMDeeZyy

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought the soak test was over and done with I thought wrong.. Thats just great more waiting... We waited long enough this is some bs lol. Especially for ics they minus well give us jb geez

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad