battery life.....

Manofsteel927

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve battery life with ics.I have the extended battery I rooted the phone and.calibrated the battery but still getting terrible battery life even with moderate use.I have a 4g signal all the time.but no wifi during day.
By 7 hours with minimal usage only web searches my battery is down to 40%. Someone please any suggestions lol.. with gingerbread I never had this problem.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve battery life with ics.I have the extended battery I rooted the phone and.calibrated the battery but still getting terrible battery life even with moderate use.I have a 4g signal all the time.but no wifi during day.
By 7 hours with minimal usage only web searches my battery is down to 40%. Someone please any suggestions lol.. with gingerbread I never had this problem.

How long have you had ICS now?

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Today was my third day with ICS.246 and the battery life was far from great. I did a factory reset on Saturday. I have the Moto extended battery and barely made it 11 hours. Take a look, is this normal?
Screenshot_2012-10-22-17-43-48.png

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
]It's really hard to tell based on that screen shot since the percentages are all relative to each other. Typically though, "Screen" uses the highest percentage.

Can you tell us or post screenshots of the specific entries (e.g. - show us the stats that pop up when you press "Screen - 26%")? If your SCREEN stats read something like 4-5+ hours of display being on and you had 4G running the whole time, then your battery life isn't too bad for such heavy use. But if it's under 3 hours, then I'd say either your battery is defective or you'll need to do (at MINIMUM) a cache wipe when the phone is fully charged or--at worst--a factory data reset to get rid of all remaining "ghosts in the machine" from Gingerbread.

Personally, I've noticed poorer battery life on ICS--particularly today. I had 11-14% left according to my downloaded battery indicator widget. I then streamed a 2.5 minute trailer for the new HITCHCOCK movie on YouTube over 4G, and suddenly my phone was at 4% power!! I'm hoping a cache wipe fixes the problem, which always has when I've encountered battery life issues following software updates.

EDIT: OOPS! I just noticed you said that you've already done a factory reset, so I doubt a cache wipe will do much. My comments regarding actual display time (indicating how heavily you're using it) still hold true though. You could also rule out whether or not it's a defective battery by installing the original battery. No, it won't last as long as your extended battery, but if you get results close to your current ones or better results on a smaller battery, then I'd assume it's the battery.

Manofsteel927

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My Extended battery worked fine on gingerbread which led me to believe it was ics causing the battery life issue. Everyone said there battery life improved with ics that's why I was concerned . My screen usage is at 2 hours and 30 mins and I was down to 20% when I got home from work. I've wiped cache , I've recalibrated the battery I am just so disappointed with how fast the battery is draining. I go to 90% after 10-15 minutes of web use.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
] If your SCREEN stats read something like 4-5+ hours of display being on and you had 4G running the whole time, then your battery life isn't too bad for such heavy use.

It was under 3 hours, actually 2.5 hours. I will put the original battery back in and see what happens.

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
OUCH! No disrespect meant to your plight, but I really, REALLY hope you have a defective battery! After all this time, it'll cause a major PR incident among Bionic owners if this long overdue ICS update wrecks that much havoc on a significant number of phones!!

Hopefully, the system just needs to settle in a little bit more, and within the next few power cycles, everything is running in top shape for those of you experiencing problems.

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
appmy, I just had another thought occur to me. I looked at your screen shot again and noticed two things:

1. Did you have Wi-Fi and 4G running simultaneously? That could drain power faster.

2. I saw the Smart Actions icon in your status bar. Perhaps there is a rule or set of Smart Action rules that are causing the excessive power drain. Personally, I'm not using the Smart Actions app, and even with my noticeable reduction in extended battery life, I still got roughly 31 hours until I hit 3%.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
1. Did you have Wi-Fi and 4G running simultaneously? That could drain power faster.

Correct. I had both on to compare it with both on with GB. I had a good history of 16+ hours with both on with Gingerbread.

2. I saw the Smart Actions icon in your status bar. Perhaps there is a rule or set of Smart Action rules that are causing the excessive power drain. Personally, I'm not using the Smart Actions app, and even with my noticeable reduction in extended battery life, I still got roughly 31 hours until I hit 3%.

You are correct. I was playing around with Smart Actions and will turn the rules off and try again tomorrow. I would love to get 24 hours let alone 31. I have never been close to either.

Manofsteel927

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had ics for about 2 months now and the battery life has always been alot worse then on gingerbread! I was hoping the final build would solve it for me but to no avail. I had 2 1/2 hours of screen time on web searching throughout the day with 4g all day and was down to 20% after 11 hours

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had ics for about 2 months now and the battery life has always been alot worse then on gingerbread! I was hoping the final build would solve it for me but to no avail. I had 2 1/2 hours of screen time on web searching throughout the day with 4g all day and was down to 20% after 11 hours

Sigh...that's not good. I was hoping I could change my usage patterns with ICS, but I guess I won't be if battery life is that bad. Those patterns would be Wi-Fi only when at home (and even then I use my computer whenever possible) and I keep 4G disabled unless I'm actively using it. The problem there is that I miss MMS messages, which includes multiple-recipient text messages that my supervisor occasionally sends out to those of us working off-site.

My phone should be nearly charged now, so I'm going to wipe the cache and will try to remember to post specific screenshots of my usage when the battery is near depletion.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
When I am on wifi only battery does MUCH better...the 4g seems to just DESTROY my batter even with moderate use

Thanks for the tip, just set up a smart action when I'm home on wifi to disable 4g. Never even thought that even connected to wifi that 4g would still be 'on' trying to connect. Sometimes smartphone- dumb operator! ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's no secret that 4G is a battery hog. Also, GB didn't fully use both cores of the processor, which ICS does along with upclocking a couple hundred MHz. That its also likely to increase power consumption over GB. I have heard many people say the OTA ICS build has much improved battery life vs the earlier leaks, but not sure how it compares on average to GB.

I leave mine plugged in most of the time anyway, so I don't have enough use on battery to know how my life has been from 905, 232, and now to OTA 246.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It's no secret that 4G is a battery hog. Also, GB didn't fully use both cores of the processor, which ICS does along with upclocking a couple hundred MHz. That its also likely to increase power consumption over GB. I have heard many people say the OTA ICS build has much improved battery life vs the earlier leaks, but not sure how it compares on average to GB.

I leave mine plugged in most of the time anyway, so I don't have enough use on battery to know how my life has been from 905, 232, and now to OTA 246.

Yeah, I knew that, just not the part about 4g still being 'on' when connected to wifi.
Far as I can tell, I have not gotten the bump up from 1 to 1.2 on the cpu.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've heard once or twice that not everyone got the bump in speed, but no idea how wide spread it may be. I used Android Assistant for a few things, and that's where I saw the clock speed.

Manofsteel927

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Today's battery stats are as follows: 9 hours of use with screen.time of54 minutes and battery is down to 50% how is that even possible with an extended battery????

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is horrible today on ICS. Intolerable with the extended battery. I hope the Razr maxx Verizon is sending me is going to have much better battery life, more like the battery life I enjoyed on my bionic on gingerbread

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol